Long Hauler with video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Long Hauler

udallcustombikes said:
The metal bins I wanted to mount along the sides are a bit too pricey for this build. Anybody in the Wichita area got some gunny sacks they want to part with? Maybe some milk crates?
you mean to tell me you can make a bike as long as my caddy but you cant make a steel box?!?!? i dont buy that at all!!!
flat stock and hinges are cheap 8)

I could build boxes, but then I would have to buy material for the boxes. I have absolutly no cash into this build yet. I was thinking of using galvanized washtubs for the bins until I priced them :shock:. I am thinking of going with gunny sack saddle bags along the length of the stretch. I am very cheap. :lol:

I found some brand new gunny sacks for my saddle bags for only a buck and a half each. I am going to make up a couple of multi-color stencils for the bags. I shouuld be able to mount a couple of bike racks along with the saddle bags and make this a sweet ride for the garage sale season :D . I am going to get some time out in the garage tomorrow and Saturday to work on my dual rears. I think I have figured it out in my head. Just gotta make the jump to reality. Maybe someone will stop by and give me another perspective on it.

Here's a look at the first saddle bag.
2wd6fia.jpg

Worked a little this weekend on the dual set-up design. Need to lace up a couple of rims (Thanks Ratfink!) for the back. Now- Dual coasters or coaster/fixed?
Any thoughts on this venture into uncharted water?
Still need to finish up my saddle bags, build the bike racks (thanks for the idea, loco joe), and find a BUNCH of 1/8" chain. Anybody local wanna donate to the build? I don't really care about the condition/color of the chain as long as it is not frozen.

I'll try to get some more pics up tomorrow.

Ratfink1962 said:
Ive got two lengths of chain off a couple old 10 speed bikes, I cant use it since its too narrow for cruiser use. (is that 1/8"??)

Not sure if it would work for you, but your welcome to it.
Multi-speed chain is 3/32". 1/8" would be your cruiser and BMX sized (garage door opener???)

A coaster brake/fix gear combo could be interesting. The fix gear should lock up but it may fight back.

You'd have to pedal the fixed backwards to activate the coaster, I don't know how well that will work, unless there's almost no weight on it. :? A freewheel or bogey would be my suggestion.

Back