Long Hauler with video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Long Hauler

Started shooting primer today. Hopefully the sun comes out tomorrow so I can shoot a little more paint.
260sv3o.jpg

Here is the logo on the gunny sacks
ab30oo.jpg

Getting closer. Still need to find some more chain.

I am an independent garage door contractor in California. Here's the inside skinny. Call your local garage door company and tell them you are looking for drive chain to build a custom bicycle from old residential garage door openers in their junk pile. They most likley will let you go through the junk pile and salvage parts as long as you are not using them to fix another opener. The chain is about 6 to 8 feet long #35 bicycle chain and will have a couple of master links attached. If they blow you off keep calling other companies or show up in person with a picture of your long hauler. Oh yeah, idlers, cable, steel rails are all there. Good luck and keep up the great work. I luv em long and low.

Been a rough week so far with kids home sick :cry: . I got some chain this past weekend from locojoe and 450redrider (Thanks guys). I spoke with a couple of garage door companies as well. The first gave me a resounding NO with excuses about "insurance and liability" but the second was more than happy to help out. He said he would start pulling chains for me and to call him back Friday :D . So I should be able to get it all chained up and rolling this week. Almost where I want it. The guy I was talking to said the chains he had were #40 or #41. Will this chain work or do I need #35 like kuttnhack said? What is the difference?

udallcustombikes said:
Been a rough week so far with kids home sick :cry: . I got some chain this past weekend from locojoe and 450redrider (Thanks guys). I spoke with a couple of garage door companies as well. The first gave me a resounding NO with excuses about "insurance and liability" but the second was more than happy to help out. He said he would start pulling chains for me and to call him back Friday :D . So I should be able to get it all chained up and rolling this week. Almost where I want it. The guy I was talking to said the chains he had were #40 or #41. Will this chain work or do I need #35 like kuttnhack said? What is the difference?

No Problem happy to help, This might help with the chain hunt, as far as I can see the 40 or 41 chain should work it will just be a little bit wider than the cruiser chain
cruiser bicycle chain uses 3/16" wide rollers 1/2" pitch.
multi-speed bicycle chain uses 5/32" wide rollers 1/2" pitch
Chain Number / Pitch / Between Inner Plates
25 / 1/4" / 1/8"
35 / 3/8" / 3/16"
40 / 1/2" / 5/16"
41 / 1/2" / 1/4"
50 / 5/8" / 3/8"
7bd58070.jpg

9e7b09d0.jpg

I finally got enough chain to take the Long Hauler out for a test ride. Thanks to Randy (aka_locojoe), Cody (450redrider), and Alan (recycledbikez)! :D :D :D
It rode nice with both back wheels mounted, but the chains have a little clearance issue between the two chains :?

Still trying to figure out the bike racks...

2cypjy8.jpg

Just a little tight.
2d2btpt.jpg

rs8x2h.jpg

Is the far back wheel rolling also when you ride? And if so does it cause any drag when you turn. I ran into that problem with Rag and Bone, when i would make a turn the back tire would drag on the road causing me to lose control.

Lookin good, did you have to come up with some kind of chain support? And are you gonna use some kind of shock for that rear wheel? I know you had one on there earlier, but then changed to a different rear triangle.

Any way to space the sprockets just a tad farther apart?

I think I'm just gonna let the rear float for now. The chain is bouncing around a little on the long run and I should probably throw an idler on there. The sprockets are welded in place so in order to add a spacer I would need to start with a fresh wheel, guess I should have spent a little more time in the "testing" phase. :roll:

MarksA-C said:
What fi you put a screwdrive between the 2 and slowly go around bending them both away from each other? Not too much force and not too far.
Might be quality sprockets, use the Wonder Bar. :wink: :|

Latest posts

Back