Lunch Time Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
socal_jack said:
We had an even better place called Flightline(in the flight line of McClellan Airport) literally across the street from work, Calavera connects to what's left of it it but I need to drive about 10 minutes to make it doable at lunch. Sadly most of the trails at Calavera will likely be rendered unusable as Carlsbad has taken this last piece of undevelopable land and declared alot of it "Ecological Preserve". Here's what they did to Fllightline using the same farce.

there were some sweet trails there
http://www.rideflightline.com/trail_pictures.html

Before
FlightLineMapByMartinNavarre-LargeScale.jpg

After - most of what they built sits empty as commercial real estate was already overbuilt 90% of trail system destroyed as well as the historic Carlsbad Motocross track and drag strip.

flightline.jpg
I used to live in Oceanside and I raced at the Carlsbad Dragstrip a couple of times in the late eighties, thats just sad

Cool old factory building shots, don't really have much of that out here. Bikes look right at home.

Gold Street Customs said:
I used to live in Oceanside and I raced at the Carlsbad Dragstrip a couple of times in the late eighties, thats just sad

Yeah, some folks tried to keep the drag strip and the MX track alive for awhile but Carlsbad couldn't stand to see that much land undeveloped.

socal_jack said:
Cool old factory building shots, don't really have much of that out here. Bikes look right at home.

Yeah, some folks tried to keep the drag strip and the MX track alive for awhile but Carlsbad couldn't stand to see that much land undeveloped.

didn't somebody have the bright idea of showcasing the 'new' sport of mountain biking at that mx track in the early 80's? seems like i remember photos of guys carrying their bikes in the virtually unridable (for bicycles) motocross track conditions while being jeered by bored, confused mx fans.....

Bendix said:
socal_jack said:

didn't somebody have the bright idea of showcasing the 'new' sport of mountain biking at that mx track in the early 80's? seems like i remember photos of guys carrying their bikes in the virtually unridable (for bicycles) motocross track conditions while being jeered by bored, confused mx fans.....

Maybe unrideable for bikes/gear at the time, I rode a couple of laps around the MX track on at least one of my mtbs at the time(2000-2001), not near as tough as some of the Flightline trails. I don't think it would've made good watching though, too wide open and not really technical enough at biking speeds to captivate an audience. like watching cyclocross(no offense anyone).

^^ YA BABY. Discovered that they make a pretty decent burger and fries too.

HS track coach's family owned a DQ growing up back in CT used to gorge on a triple brazier cheeseburger after practice on the cheaps. Man those were good.

Finally got some video of from my ride, gave up on the Canon and got one of these

overviewFooterLeft2.jpg

Drop in from parking lot, only tough thing here, other than having to pedal back up it later, is deep gravel and off camber corner at the bottom, but if you lose it, plenty of bushes to break the fall.

From the top of the quarry, going back down what I call the waterfall route the wide angle cam flattens out the steepness, and roughness

Well, now I'm officially jealous! What with only half an hour lunch usually and a management that is, shall we say, unreceptive to keeping bicycles inside, My lunch rides are pretty much over. :(

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
great quality on the vids. how much did that camera cost?

Got the camera plus slotted helmet adapter for $298 delivered from Adorama. I shot these using the SD mode, it has a 60 Hz update versus the HD mode(1280X768) 30Hz, better for fast action. The SD mode is somewhere between VGA and HD like 8something by 6something I think.

GoPro has something similar to what I was trying to do with my Canon camera for $189(sample videos on both sites) plus they have a waterproof housing might get one for surfing eventually.

thatismytruck said:
Very Cool Jack!! Whenever I was in Phoenix I would ride with a bud in the wash outs. good fun riding. I love the desert.

Lived in Tucson for a couple years, desert was wild to ride in everything there wants to stick you, ..... you, and bite you. Cholla cactus especially.

Bigcam59 said:
Well, now I'm officially jealous! What with only half an hour lunch usually and a management that is, shall we say, unreceptive to keeping bicycles inside, My lunch rides are pretty much over. :(

Maybe more jealous (luckily our management is cool about keeping bikes and surfboards in empty cubicles), only did this trail once before following a couple of other guys (completely missed the first turn) everything in this area is marked "No Trespassing" , "Ecologic Preserve Boundary", "Area Closed", blah blah blah, so it's gotta be good right? Lots of criss crossing trails, bridges, rock stuff, flew past the first turn, gotta ride `em while I got `em, Carlsbad will destroy these soon. Was on the 29er rigid, so I kept the speed down a bit.

Back