Maybe one more

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dude, this thing rocks :shock:
i guess i`ve gotta give it a try, too. Build my own bike from scratch!

Since cruisers are way too expensive here in Germany, this forum is what is was looking for.
Glad i found out there's an auction (made by a train station) for ownerless bikes tomorrow.

So i need to get the roof rack on my VeeDub and find myself a bike. :mrgreen:
Does it count as "from the sketch" when i use the crank drive (is that the word you use?) and other parts from an old frame?

VeeDubbin said:
dude, this thing rocks :shock:
i guess i`ve gotta give it a try, too. Build my own bike from scratch!

Since cruisers are way too expensive here in Germany, this forum is what is was looking for.
Glad i found out there's an auction (made by a train station) for ownerless bikes tomorrow.

So i need to get the roof rack on my VeeDub and find myself a bike. :mrgreen:
Does it count as "from the sketch" when i use the crank drive (is that the word you use?) and other parts from an old frame?

I really think it easy to build your own frame. Its just pipe/tubing welded together in a straight line. No brain surgery and it can look just like you want it too. A scratch build is just grab your own pipe and build something. If you use the crank houseing and neck from another bike ...thats fine. I preach to build your own. Bikes anywhere are expensive. I sat and figured and with the parts I stuck in my "Last Shot" build I had about $100 in it. You cant buy one like it for that....Then again why would you. :lol: :lol:
nosferatum15115 said:
another work of art 8) , i can wait to see this finished and it will be like the original? white tires and red color?
Thanks I hope it turns out ok. I'm doing my best .I have some tan Schwalbs and I can paint red ,so yeah it will maybe look close

Nice frame design! Reminds me a little bit of the "JackPot Mk.4" (modified Pimpgarage Simple C frame) build by Puti and t0m_smyk0wski from the TretHarley forum:
100_0842.jpg

Nope Maddog I am at a standstill. I welded the dropouts in yesterday and something is wrong where the tire dosent line up right in the stays. I can fix it ,but there is nothing to measure to and I cant even stick it in my jig to see where its wrong. Then I realize with nothing to measure to with all the tubes being curved both ways ,that I wont have anything to measure to get the BB right. This maybe a cut up now. Or at least a redesign. I'm going to do some looking today and if I cant figure it out I'm going to cut the bottom twin tubes off and weld on normal straight pipe and try something else. I guess this one beat me. Too many curves. :shock: :shock:

Dead Bolt that was a good looking frame. Its funny to see things like the two small pins welded on the bottom of his frame ,and know that he got to the end and stuck a chain on it and realize the BB was too low and the chain was goint to hit the frame at that spot. I bet it made him sick. :roll: :roll: One of the joys of building frames. You really have to be thinking ahead.

Yep been doing that on everything...plum bob strings level square. Problem is you cant clamp it in a vice ,and when you do there is no way to tell when its straight to drop a plumbob. I think I will have to admit this one beat me. I can redesign it and build it maybe. It might not be worth it. I'm going to look at in in a while. I may just start on another build. I picked up a piece of 1 1/2'' yesterday and I can cut my losses and start on something I have the ability to do.....because I'm thinking this aint it. :oops: :cry:

Bummer man it just looks like there should be a way to figure this thing out. Wish i could see it in person but there is just to much dirt between here and there :x

Yeah I figured it out Maddog. I cut the bottom tubes off and got my jig out. When I spread the bottom tubes apart ,one tube will spread more that the other even though they are the same . Without the bottom I can see that everything is in line. I was trying to build it without a jig and just eyeball it.....wrong. So now I'm still likeing the top twin tubes and the twin down tubes , so I'm going to use them with a straight bottom tube. It will look different ,but still should look pretty good. Antial just wont get his build. :cry: So now I know you have to have a jig or something straight to go by. With a 1 1/2'' bottom tube it will let me line everything up including the bottom bracket.

squareone004.jpg

It wont really even look like his design , but it will be straight and comfortable . Will wind up probably like this. Gotta go cut and weld a little.

likethis001.jpg

Looks like it would be more stable with the single tube. Maybe after this one is done that twinn bottom tube engineering thing will hit you like a brick and it will all fall into place. Or not :D

maddogrider said:
Looks like it would be more stable with the single tube. Maybe after this one is done that twinn bottom tube engineering thing will hit you like a brick and it will all fall into place. Or not :D
Its my fault. I thought that you could bend two tubes alike and then weld them a little at the front and when you bend them apart they would bend the same. It dosent seem to work like that. If anybody has worked with curved tubes before ...they dont stay the same when you try to put them together. One is bad enough and it will be hard to line it up straight...two is a nightmare.
udallcustombikes said:
Hey Unc,
Am I missing something here? I went back and looked at Antial's original post and it has a single bottom tube. Was there a design change I missed because the path you are on now looks more like his 3-D design than it did before.
His had a single tube in the bottom and for some stupid reason I thought twin tubes would be easier. I'm so messed up with trying to keep bent things straight, I'm going to abandon that idea for a straight tube. I cant build his,but I can still salvage some parts and make a pretty nice looking frame so all the work wont be wasted.

I'm retired from the real world , but for some reason I find something to build all the time . :shock: :shock: Thanks my fab work is kinda iffy right now .
Ok not really tacked but sitting there. You can kinda see where I'm heading now. I'm unsure if the big tube on the bottom and back look wrong with the smaller tubing everywhere else. I have a call into my design engineer for his opinion

newdesign003.jpg

That thing is so wide...at 11'' I couldnt get it on a bike. So no 125 honda motor. I did use some 1'' tubing I had and it looks better against the 5/8'' stuff , so this will be the game plan. I'll weld it up tomorrow and build the chainstays and some dropouts. Pretty tired today....missed my nap :cry:

smaller001.jpg

Back