(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it comes with the pathern sowed in ? cool stuff!
If it is the material I think it is, the thread pattern is pressed into the vinyl.

Jason
Pretty sure it is heat embossed as Jason said, just like the old Troxel seats!
I have a 1.4 x 1 meter piece coming to me all the way from England... (Only place I could find it!)

Spent pretty much all of today, well 4 hours anyway, trying to chase down some off-cuts of steel sheet to keep making the frame panels, of course Friday afternoon is not the best time to catch metal working/engineering places open, but only one was shut, 7 other places were open, but did not have what I wanted (1.2mm or 1.6mm thick plain steel sheet) most of them had galvanised or powdercoated pieces, but that just makes for hard work and less then ideal results, I managed to pick up a couple of small rusty pieces on the way for a couple of dollars, but not enough to finish the build.

Gave up after 5 o'clock and went to get a new wire wheel so that I could clean up the rusty pieces and have some progress over the weekend at least, suddenly remembered that this particular hardware place has some downgrade steel sections out the back, so I figured it was worth a look, thinking I could find some box section or something to cut the side out of...

Found a 3 meter long 200x50mm (10 foot long, 8" x 2") 'C' perlin in 1.6mm (16 gauge) mild steel with a couple of dents, cost me all of $8 and they cut it half so I could fit it in the car! :crazy2: Plenty for this build and probably a couple more...

I know where to go first next time! :113:

Luke.

Love that tail light panel. Has a real '60s custom vibe to it. Nice vinyl choice too.
:rockout: Yes!
'60s custom look is my aim! Glad you posted that, means I am on the right track!

Luke.

Dug a correct head length 27" road bike fork out of the parts pile for mocking up tomorrow, starting to wonder if I want to keep with the 20" whitewall front I had planned or maybe use a 27"?

The rears measure out to around 25" tall, 20" would be a cool muscle bike look, but the skinny and tall 27" might give me more of a '60s custom feel?

:39:

I know this is hard to visualise without pics, but I need to know the heights first thing tomorrow to set the seat height to the diff... Any one have an opinion?

Luke.

Tall skinny.
Easy-Rider-Wallpapers-Peter-Fonda.jpg

Thanks TRM, I was feeling a bit that way too, but I persuaded my wife to head outside to take some pics:

2016-09-16 22.35.29.jpg

2016-09-16 22.35.02.jpg

Pretty sure I am going to run the original 20" idea, flows nicer to me...
Probably going to rake the seat up a bit more at the back than that photo though, get the first section of top tube (before it curves up) to sit level...

Luke.

Yeah it's the fork. If you had a chopper fork then the tall skinny would be perfect. (like all the examples that popped up) but you have a regular fork that looks good with that 20. Or fab a chopper fork.

Carl.

Inspiration...............

CIMG0032%5B1%5D.JPG

Roth-Mail-Box.jpg
Great pics Muttley! I had the Roth MailBox in my pics file, but not the other one, very cool! Looks like a 4 pot too!
Yeah it's the fork. If you had a chopper fork then the tall skinny would be perfect. (like all the examples that popped up) but you have a regular fork that looks good with that 20. Or fab a chopper fork.

Carl.
I think you might be right Carl! Going to run the 20 anyway, I doubt I will have time to build a custom fork for it, the frame is a huge job as it is, so I will stick with the 20" front.

Luke.

Thanks TRM, I was feeling a bit that way too, but I persuaded my wife to head outside to take some pics:

View attachment 34181
View attachment 34180

Pretty sure I am going to run the original 20" idea, flows nicer to me...
Probably going to rake the seat up a bit more at the back than that photo though, get the first section of top tube (before it curves up) to sit level...

Luke.
20'' it give it that agressive lean forward look i personally love ..
its also wider than the skinny 27'' , witch i think fits better with the big balloons out the back..
one or the other this thing is shaping up to be one awesome trike:rockout:

Last edited:
Keeping with the 20", easy decision with the pics to look at.

No progress on the build, just too cold and wet here at the moment, even though I am under cover and have the fire pit, I have no motivation to go outside...

Done some cool mock-up sketches though, so I have my frame design sorted now, should be quick progress when I do get to it.

Luke.

Tomorrows weather is looking better, but in the meantime, hopefully this will give you your 'Flip The Script' fix:

2016-09-17 23.21.28.jpg

Already made changes to the design since that drawing, but the basic idea is there...

Luke.

Back