(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaw dropper
Thanks Assa9!
I expect nothing less after Pedro's amazing paintwork Luke ;)
Not looking forward to finding glitter everywhere for the following months... I ended up with some of Pedro's holographic on my welding gloves the other day somehow...
I finally got to read through LuketheJokers entire build post and I'm just so totally impressed with the whole project, I love the theme and direction it's going. Great job Luke!
Glad you like it Old Scool, I will try and keep it going!
subscribed
:thumbsup:
Can't wait to see that purple with the white vinyl.
Me too! I got notice that my vinyl has arrived in Australia, so I should have it soon!
Man luke u need consider build one of those roadster top sissybar thing a magiggttys that i seen on here long time ago. They were like a sun cannopy with big rear cut outs. The thread showed ads from the late 60s ive been wanting build one but nothing had the weight width wise to carry the propotions... could totally do a C-cab roofline easy..
This thing is awsome.
We did see a nos muscle bike canopy pop up on here not that long ago. Was it @CRASH that had one? A lukeified x-thick version would be sweet.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
I think they are awsome, just havent had a bike to pull it off, when i step up to 3" plus rears maybe... but this would carry it well...
You guys have been reading my mind...
I think you mean the chopper top!

a198f703bc07570806a4d89fa7a90513.jpg

Been considering it, but finding a way that incorporates it with the nice top curve on the frame requires more thinking. That curve with the tail lights in it is my favorite part of the trike so far, so I don't really want to cover it up...

I have a few ideas, but thinking that I need to get a rolling frame and see what room I have, measure how tall it would have to be to clear my head and make the decision then. The height may be too ridiculous...

Luke.

idk about that chopper top ... always tought it looked ridiculus on bikes , fits well on some oldschool cars , cause there is a body , who knows might look alright on a big trike :39:

Yeah agree, the looks of his frame build and size of the rear pan light set up i think gives it the weight of a body to carry it... hes not running 1.75s in the rear either... haha..
Its a human fink mobile.

Just looked it up.. its 25 minute bike ride on the way to the beach... lets hope i find some guy all alome waiting patiently for someone to stop in an inquire about his left over parts :crazy2::21:
Let us know what you find!
idk about that chopper top ... always tought it looked ridiculus on bikes , fits well on some oldschool cars , cause there is a body , who knows might look alright on a big trike :39:
Yeah agree, the looks of his frame build and size of the rear pan light set up i think gives it the weight of a body to carry it... hes not running 1.75s in the rear either... haha..
Its a human fink mobile.
I agree, I have been wanting to do one for a while, but they need some meat to balance them out.
Probably not going to happen on this build, the more I think about it, the more I like the flat/long seat... Almost fastback look.

No progress to report on the build, weather has been cold,wet and windy and my health has suffered because of it, hopefully the coming week will see a rolling frame!

Luke.

I like both the tops in that vintage ad.:inlove: A bit wider one would look cool on a trike.
Careful, too many comments like that and I might have to edit it to keep with the forum rules! :eek:

I actually considered whether or not to edit the pic before I posted it, but it has been posted before on the site, so I left it alone.

Luke.

Not me. It was green on a Sting Ray with a whole bunch of accessories. MBBO3 I think?
I remember the final shots taken with a Christmas theme, I will try and find it...

Luke.

I like both the tops in that vintage ad.:inlove: A bit wider one would look cool on a trike.
Careful, too many comments like that and I might have to edit it to keep with the forum rules! :eek:

I actually considered whether or not to edit the pic before I posted it, but it has been posted before on the site, so I left it alone.

Luke.
If the other was to much wider she'd fall over.:43::crazy2::eek::inlove:

Finally got the build back on track tonight!

My original plan was to mount the diff as you would on a car, maybe on some ladder bars on something, of course all that went out the window with the new frame design that wraps around the back of the diff.

I never quite worked out how to mount it with the new plan...

Best idea I had was some sort of sandwich plate that the diff halves would bolt to either side, but that would be a huge amount of work and I was not sure on how stable it would be, so the build stalled for a bit.

I realised yesterday that only one half of the diff needs to be removable from the frame for access to the internals, the other could be permanently welded which would mean that strength would never be an issue, so a new plan started forming...

First welded 3 of the sleeve bolts to the sleeves on the diff on one side so they could be covered up and not need to be held to undo or tighten up the diff halves.

Then I had to add strips of steel to where the tube halves were expanding apart as they progressively widened around the back side of the diff, also added a strip of flat bar inside the frame to give me something solid to build off, then tacked on the diff.

Lots of measuring to ensure it was straight and level, then fully welded the right hand side:

2016-09-26 23.52.14.jpg

You can see the flat bar support better in this pic:

2016-09-26 23.52.53.jpg

Once that was done I started filling in the gap on the outside of the split tubes, I actually added an extra layer of steel here to get a nice compound curve, even though this is under the diff and no one will ever see it: :21:

2016-09-26 23.53.19.jpg

A bit more clean up and I have this:

2016-09-26 23.53.38.jpg

Now it was time to fill in part of the gap on the other side and make sleeved relief slots for where the bolts will fit in, lots of work later I had this, note also the little dots of weld inside the diff housing, they are actually plug welds to the inner frame lining, just for extra strength. ;) You can see the welded sleeve bolts too:

2016-09-26 23.54.04.jpg

And this is how it fits with the other half of the diff:

2016-09-26 23.54.41.jpg

Imagine that all in Passion purple with the nice chrome hex heads... :43:

Lots of work still to go, but that is a big step in the right direction!

:banana:

The seat vinyl arrived today too:

2016-09-26 23.51.25.jpg
2016-09-26 23.51.42.jpg

It is heat embossed and it looks very good! Shipping was super quick from Britain too, that new eBay international shipping program is awesome! :thumbsup:
Used to be at least a month from the UK to here...

Luke.

The sleeved relief slots for the bolts look great. The chrome hex head bolts and purple will really set it off. Beautiful detail.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
I'm really happy with it.

Luke.

Yeah Luke ! you worked your magic , that thing looks fantastic , and welding it to 1 side only is brilliant ! , that build is shaping up to be a real show stopper :113::rockout:

Back