(MBBO#4) Class 1 The Wraith

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally have the name and have the bike. Picked up this 66 Schwinn Stingray up at a swap a few weeks ago with parts bike in mind, but after kicking it around for a few weeks, I see potential for much more. Waited too long to get involved last year so I missed out, looking forward to the builds this year and all the creative ideas everyone brings to the Build off. Will be going with a Resto/Custom theme here, looking forward to building something unique. Last build was the Stingray build a few years back.

Disassembly will start in the next few days...

If you didn't name it after the movie,or if you haven't seen the movie. Check it out,Might get some ideas.

The wraith starring Charlie Sheen,good old flick.

If you didn't name it after the movie,or if you haven't seen the movie. Check it out,Might get some ideas.

The wraith starring Charlie Sheen,good old flick.

Thanks, seen the Movie many times years back, never forgot it and always liked it that was a bit of the inspiration for the name, also went for the Spirit, Ghostly, Mysterious concept. Have some ideas just need to apply the concepts in my head to the bike, should be a blast.

One of my favorite films, I'm randy as can be to see this one.

That is one rad rat as she sits! Looking forward to your rats-toration!

Nice slick and Stingray. Looking forward to what comes next

Awesome another Ray, it's good to see these built up. :rockout:

What a great starting point! I had a purple one when I was a kid.... for about two weeks.... until someone stole it! I'm still traumatized by that. :20:

What a great starting point! I had a purple one when I was a kid.... for about two weeks.... until someone stole it! I'm still traumatized by that. :20:

That stinks, Violet is an Awesome color on the earlier Rays and one of my favorite colors next to Coppertone. I currently have 3 Violet Rays = 66 3 Spd, 66 Fastback, and 67 Coaster can't seem to stop buying them when I see them!

Addictions, Oh Boy...

Finally, got a little work done. Got up this morning and the heat and humidity were down so I took advantage of it and got the bike out. Before I disassemble any bike I always like to give them a good scrubbing as it makes my work later much easier, plus it gives me a better idea as to what I have to work with. So far I am happy after a good few hours of cleaning, it looks better then I thought it would.

Started to look around for parts and found a few cool parts will post some pics of those a little later. Early plans call for a longer crank but same size sprocket so it gets off the line fast, possible kickback two speed hub, silver glitter or white seat, tall sissy, 69 Bars(more comfortable to ride with) thinking strongly about a springer front end. Color yet to be determined, planning to strip the bike down next and start cleaning and prepping the frame. Looks as though weather out here cooling down a little in the next week that would be good then I can prime outdoors and the house/garage will not smell. Wife will be happy!!!

Pics after cleanup

This bike has definitely been used and enjoyed look at the wear, like a favorite pair of old blue jeans that have been, worn, worn, worn.

Guess I will not be using this Slik, check out the sidewall crack on this one.

Gotta be the best looking "before" bike ever. '69 bars are great. Love them on my Fastback. I like the early wide bars too. The '66-'67 Schwinn bars are neat looking but look awkward to ride with.

I'd ride the snot out of it as is...always loved these bikes....

When I was a kid the BMX thing was picking up around where I lived. (we were always a little behind the times) Lots of the kids couldn't afford new bikes so they took the hand me down Stingrays like this and added BMX bars, seats and knobby tires....I thought they looked good either way.....

Cool bike! Agreed on the bars, patina ....great vibe. And I'd keep the slick on there for the build, ride it till it goes, then substitute...fits it so well!

Located this original Stingray Wingtip Chainguard and because it is from a junior it will work on my project bike. So after a quick test fit I decided to do a little experimenting.

So I did a bit of sanding and smoothing of the nicks and scratches. And then shot it with some primer.

Here is the experiment part. Back in January I bought some glitter spray paint from where I work that was being sold cheap as a close out, figuring I would find a use for it. So I thought maybe give it a try on this, if it came out bad I would just resand and Respray. I went with blue as that was the original color of the bike, so I figured this could be cool but still different. Here it is...

So far, so good. Hard to see how well here but in the sun this thing pops. I will give it a couple days to dry up good and try to fit it with a Stingray Decal and some clear coat. If that all works out I will post competed pic later.

Latest posts

Back