(MBBO#4) Class 1 The Wraith

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Located this original Stingray Wingtip Chainguard and because it is from a junior it will work on my project bike. So after a quick test fit I decided to do a little experimenting.

So I did a bit of sanding and smoothing of the nicks and scratches. And then shot it with some primer.

Here is the experiment part. Back in January I bought some glitter spray paint from where I work that was being sold cheap as a close out, figuring I would find a use for it. So I thought maybe give it a try on this, if it came out bad I would just resand and Respray. I went with blue as that was the original color of the bike, so I figured this could be cool but still different. Here it is...

So far, so good. Hard to see how well here but in the sun this thing pops. I will give it a couple days to dry up good and try to fit it with a Stingray Decal and some clear coat. If that all works out I will post competed pic later.
Do a few coats of clear,then wet sand with 2000 grit. The glitter leaves a rough texture and the 2000 makes it real smooth. Should make the decals attach better.

Ok, here is an update. Finally got back to the Chainguard and got it sealed. Then wet sanded as Falstaff recommend, glad I did that really helped to smooth out the heavy glitter finish. I then applied the new decal and topped it with two coats of Gloss clearcoat. All in all turned out nice I think.

And here a a partial parts gathering more to come but it's a start.

Last edited:
Chainguard looks good. That glitter spray is a good way to get cheap metal flake,but it's a bit messy.

so awesome can't wait to see it together :)

Chainguard looks good. That glitter spray is a good way to get cheap metal flake,but it's a bit messy.
Duplicolor Effex comes out smooth, it's the best.... but that chunky glitter DOES need extra care. Yours looks nice, good job.

Carl.

Last edited:
Thanks all, yes the Glitter paint is a challenge but I thought what the heck it's for fun and I wanted something different. The frame will be a process I am sure but I am hopeful the end product will be worth it. Seat may change, saw on on EB** a couple weeks ago and waited to long. It was a persons but in a slate blue sparke, oh well the hunt continues. Gotta go springer shopping soon too.

Wow! Great job on the chain guard! Glitter, decal, sanding...A+. And the parts pile is promising....love those whitewalls = classy muscle!

When the deadline to complete your bike pushed out to January, I thought wow that is a lot of time I will never need that much. Ha! Was I wrong, here we are a month and a half in and I have gotten little done but my Chainguard. Time to get to work! Progress coming very soon, I am planning to hide in the basement tomorrow and get something done, Hopefully...

Oh yes, And I must be nuts. I am adding a second bike to the build off, watch for the Thread for Cheap Thrill coming very soon!

When the deadline to complete your bike pushed out to January, I thought wow that is a lot of time I will never need that much. Ha! Was I wrong, here we are a month and a half in and I have gotten little done but my Chainguard. Time to get to work! Progress coming very soon, I am planning to hide in the basement tomorrow and get something done, Hopefully...

Oh yes, And I must be nuts. I am adding a second bike to the build off, watch for the Thread for Cheap Thrill coming very soon!
Looking forward to progress and the new entry!

Luke.

A few builders with second builds.:39:

I withdrew from the competition, but who knows I might sneak some rat muscle in.

Yesterday, I stripped down the bike and started inspecting the parts for wear and correctness. Being this is a 66 I would like to keep as much of the original parts on the bike as possible, provided I consider them good enough to cleanup and use. No need to pull the tires and tubes yet as they will both be replaced with fresh Stingray type Whitewalls.

I also started sanding the frame and handling a small frame repair, seems one of the smaller diameter side top bars has popped loose of the frame and needs to be reattached. I will get this done first then finish sanding and priming the frame for paint. I am hoping to start painting later this week.

Latest posts

Back