Mid-Western Flyer X-16 :: Assembled and Riding pg. 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
image.jpg
She's a Roller!
No pedals, no brakes, no seat collar, and No Weird Steering or Tracking issues! Actually felt pretty good rolling down the alley. Now I can proceed confidently. :)

Looks good! The whole bike has an overall appeal. Maybe a shallow drop / moustache type bar would take away from the 'perched' look of your flat bar on that ....what...must be, 175 mm long stem?! :crazy2: That's kind of a trend for current all-around bikes; steeper, taller stem with a shallow drop bar....

First with moustache...

all arounder2.jpg

Then with drop....

allarounder1.jpg

Ahh... I should have noted that I wasn't going to end with that stem/bar combo... they're just what I had around for this stage of testing. (It's a stem from a '91 Rockhopper, my everyday commuter, and yes it's long. Been replaced with a riser for my old back's comfort) I'll have something of a mustachio, and more 'street' tires later. Today was all about assuring there's no wonky geometry/steering surprises.

I actually like the knobbies, but that's the mt biker in me showing through....make it look like it could go anywhere....

Small things today:
Slotted the set tube.
image.jpg

Added a chainstay bridge.
image.jpg

Using a quill to 1-1/8" threadless adaptor, cause I have so many more threadless 1-1/8" stems than 1". Plus now my bike says "Zoom!"
image.jpg

This stem is kinda bulky, I might go with a different one.
image.jpg

Here she is with a pulled back handle bar, more like the X-53. There is another on the way to try.
And I put the Freedom Cruz tires on her.
image.jpg

Yes, the seat needs to be moved rearward on it's rails.

Still working rack & tank ideas. She's so light as is, I'm disinclined to start addig thick hardware store steel. I'll probably end up making a special order.

I like the wings on the first one...looks clean like the rest of the bike...

And then I added some style: :cool2:
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

The mid-tubes/rack tubes are 1/4" x 0.035" wall, and all told only add 0.86 lbs. to the bike. Hardware store steel would have been over 3 lbs.

Still some connecting tube, the rack top, reflector/light mount. Then on to cable routing.

Wow I've missed a lot of this one. Great looking work. Coming together nicely.

Hey everybody, c'mon over to my thread! I'll be filling my tires with air and then properly aligning and securing the valve stem cap!

:21::21:

I feel the same way. Some of these builds make me embarrassed to call my bike a build.

Welded the rack top today... the leftover little tabs from cutting this perforated steel make for nice spot welds. Didn't even need filler rod, just lots, and lots of patience. There were a lot of these little tabs.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

Also added the cable guides, and started mocking up the tank. The dog didn't take any photos of that, so, there aren't any! (He was too busy taking selfies!)
14 - 6.jpg

That geometry is great.
I love the perforated rack and the mid bar lines.

Thanks KF.

Not much progress to show. Busy life and all...
I added a mount point for the rear light, then assembled the bike again, got the cables to length. Apparently I pinch flatted the rear tube, or something, so that kinda put a damper on the day. I stopped short of installing the chain and adjusting the derailleur, since I wouldn't be able to ride until I get another tube anyway. And it's hot. And I'm lazy. :rolleyes:

Still trying to work out the tank idea. Wood panels and mounting points don't seem to be getting it. I'll have to look around at other ideas. I've not been on for awhile and my notifications are through the roof anyway! HUZZAH!

I'd let a road test choose the handlebar. Is that hound a ridgeback?
He's a Great Dane, but a lot of people guess Ridgeback. He's a 'classic' fawn variety, sometimes mistaken for a deer! He's also small for a Dane at ~only~ 105 lbs!

& handlebars... yes. Next post:

So a new tube, fit the chain, and first test ride:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Impressions: The seat needs to be up and rearward. I felt like my knees were in my elbows. I'll adjust the seat and try again, but I might go for different bars.

Brakes are EFFECTIVE. Avid BB7 front and BB5 rear.
Eight speeds shifted well, except I couldn't get into the lowest, (an easy fix.)

Steering is more "nimble" than I had hoped, but is hands-off rideable above a certain speed. Seat position might help this too.

Other thoughts: I'm liking the minimalist look, might forego the tank. I might add a brace to the rack to hold off any panniers. I'm considering colors, and kinda like the bare metal. I could speed rust it, making the ratters really happy, but not the wife.

Ahh... decisions and deadlines. :bigsmile:

(edit:) Oh, and fenders: want them for practicality. Not sure on looks.
& one other thing I'll remember once I go back to browsing.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of force rusting it unless the whole bike is done that way. A bunch of shiny parts then a rusted frame looks fake. Just my opinion, either weather the whole bike, like Ren Man does, or keep it all shiny. Either way it'll look good.

Clean looking build. I agree with your thoughts of bypassing the tank idea, or at least not a tank that goes down to the twin mid bars and hides them. Maybe just a small tank insert that rides against the top tube and headtube, but has a 3" gap between it and the mid bars with a parallel contour.

Very much like the minimalist look. I hadn't tuned in since the mesh was added to the rear rack. Looks good!
Fenders would make sense on a bike like this, but it has a certain 'look' and appeal the way she sits...

Last edited:
Back