Mid-Western Flyer X-16 :: Assembled and Riding pg. 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been quiet for awhile, you know, busy life and all that. I have managed to sneak in a few paint sessions, though, and once it cures out I can assemble and actually finish!

I liked the bare metal look, and considered polish and clear coat, but there were enough minor flaws and tight spots to get into that I went the easy route. Hats off to all the polished and bare metal builds out there!

This is chrome paint, which isn't recommended for outdoor use. I guess the metals in it can rust, and just touching or rubbing on it makes the mirrored finish dull, permanently, so I sprayed clear on top. This of course dulled it some too, so it is what it is. Shiny, but not a mirror finish.
image.jpg

I Missed a whole lot in this build :oops:

The bike turned out sweet! Great craftsmanship! :113:

Last edited:
This is a really well done bike! Congrats on a winner.

Beautiful ride and photos!
I love how well that rack came out with a subtle nod to a X53.
Classy machine!
It rocks that fountain pic too!!!! :)

Thanks everyone! There are, of course, at least a dozen things I would like to do still to the bike, but time and deadlines, ya know...
I still have a few days, and if packing up for moving, also at the end of them month, will spare me some time, I'll add some bits and new photos. Either way, I'll get it a finished thread!

As is, it's a nice and light bike, the lightest I've built by far. I don't have numbers, but it is about the same as my '91 Rockhopper (also double butted chromoly.) The 8 gears have enough range for the modest hills here (44t front, 11-34 rear). The handle bars give mea good comfortable posture, but the hands may be turned a bit too far inward... more testing to find out. Very happy to have completed it (this far, anyway.) :)

As is, it's a nice and light bike, the lightest I've built by far. I don't have numbers, but it is about the same as my '91 Rockhopper (also double butted chromoly.)
That is awesome! :praise:

Luke.

Back