monark "KRUSH" back on the road

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my first documented build. first off, any help to id this bike would be great. this bike was my grandpas, he bought it at an auction and rode it for a good 15 years. all he ever did was patch the tubes and add a basket to carry the papers he delivered. when he had it, there was a basket, a broken fork, and some huge beach cruiser handles. i wanted to restore it till about two weeks ago. i knew my grandpa raced midget cars at a dirt track, and we found a picture of him racing, ding! this is going to be a homage to his racing days in the 40's and 50's. its going to be red and cream (his car colors) and be nuberes 27, the year he was born. the story behind the name: he loved chickens, and we found it holding up a chicken coop.

any help with the id would be much appreciated

not to bad for a 15 year old with a hammer and dolly. thinking of making this longer toward the back of the bike. theres a matching pannel im making for the other side.
nun214.jpg

nun215.jpg

nun216.jpg

heck of a man, but not heck of a welder. these already got cleaned up.
this is not the sprocket that will sstay on the bike, its not the origional either.

Re: mystery board track build "chicken coop special"

Rear dropouts and seat tube cluster look alot like a Columbia.

The downtube is very peculiar how it attaches to the bottom bracket.

bike002.jpg

bike001.jpg

welds all cleaned up (they will need a little bondo -hate that word- but theres not to much i can do bout it)
bike005.jpg

got all the parts that will be going on it together for a picture. (these are all the parts origionally on the bike)
bike009.jpg

bike010.jpg

those are the only two parts that are not staying on the bike (smaller seat and handlebars off of a scwinn and mountain bike)
the rear rim got taken appart and cleaned as well as greased, it is not in the picture, all i could hear (even with old grease) on this bike before was road noise, so it should be great to ride when its done.

It does have the appearance of a Westfield (makers of Columbia) product, but I can't say absolutely. :?
For some reason I want to say Monark. :?

It looks like a Monark to me. Especially the way the chain and seat stays attach. Neat bike no matter what it is. Look forward to seeing it finished.

could it be a frame that was modified, maybe the downtube replaced? whatever it is, looks pretty cool.

X-RAY said:
could it be a frame that was modified, maybe the downtube replaced? whatever it is, looks pretty cool.
that would be even cooler. the rear is the first thing that comes to mind when i think of modification, my dad thought someone broke them at one time, but i dont think so because both the top and bottom are welded.

I like your collections. I want the hot rod and truck.

thats it! tommorow im going to take a picture of my garage. your all going to hate me because of all the old stuff, but its for the best. :mrgreen:

Re: monark board track bike build "chicken coop special"

I spy a hammer collection and some old reels. :D

Beau said:
I spy a hammer collection and some old reels. :D
toolbox collection, tool collection, bike parts, car parts. everything

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

seat rebuilt
005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

tank almost done
007.jpg

almost (needs paint)
008.jpg

not to shabby
011.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

027.jpg

its kind of a bike :|
017.jpg

there are afew more pictures of bike stuff in my garage, but the computers acting up. i hope this will do.

If you are only 15, who's workshop is this? Dad's or grandpa's?

Way cool that you are cutting your teeth with fab so young. Don't think your age limits you because it doesn't. Only your lack of experience does. You can learn to do most anything on youtube, now, so get busy.

I'll bet your dad is proud of you.

Good luck with the build!

well to be honest, he doesnt really care. the garage is his, but everything inside it is mine. he wanted to leave most everything at my grandpas, or just scrap it, i saved about 1/8th fof it. so theres alot of stuff ive bought and found, alot of both my grandfathers, and some of my dads. he just wants the garage to be left alone, and the bikes to be scrapped.

update (ish) well i got the rear rim appart and rebuilt, but with more of a vintage vibe. i have the rest of the hub to go with the brake lever, but i figured, new works and old looks.
mo001.jpg

mo004.jpg

that is the only real part i used. (there is still the pussibility of cleaning up the rims this hub was on, but they pretty bad)
mo012.jpg

mo008.jpg

mo009.jpg

took three different hubs to get one (non bent) hub (with no brakes XD)
mo016.jpg

mo017.jpg

some new brakes.
the tank also got finished minus paint, and the rust is gone, ill post some pictures later.

Back