MONGOOSE BEAST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha Ha...it's not really that big of a deal.

Since it's in the "SHOW ME YOUR" section it's more of a gallery deal than it is a place to discuss gear ratios and such.

That's why I created an entirely new section for this style of bike so people could knock themselves out. :wink:

Took my Beast out for its first longer ride (around 16 miles) at the halfway point the headset started feeling weird, making clunky noises and felt a bit of play. :x Luck would have it I was just two blocks away from a decent bike shop so I stopped in and had them look at it. Sure enough the headset was in bad shape, I couldnt believe what I was shown! it looked like it was used and abused! worn, bits of sand like metal in the grease! The wrench/owner told me the problem was simple....a very cheaply made headset with the wrong size bearing! So I had it replaced with a decent Ritchey MTB headset. :D I completed the ride and did another 8 miles just to be sure. Im VERY happy with it. :D
The headset looks sratched and dirty but its just grease I didnt wipe off yet. I also added a set of vintage Haro platforms and a new black Brooks B-17 with copper rivets and rails. :mrgreen:

Had the Beast pinstriped over the weekend at our swap meet for $10.

beast4z.jpg

dsc0003001t.jpg

dsc0004001.jpg

dsc0005001.jpg

dsc0010001z.jpg

I know a few of you have had BB problems with your Beast, well after a short ride the other day I found a loose BB so I opened it up, cleaned it, and repacked it. All seemed well till I went out on a ride and the same thing happened! So I'm wondering if just changing it out to the recommended sealed bearing replacement BB mentioned fixed the problem? Or has anyone done anything else to remedy this problem. Tell you the truth the bike is really getting on my gosh darn nerves and I'm ready to ride it down to the junk yard for a quick and easy death! :x

ilikebikes said:
I know a few of you have had BB problems with your Beast, well after a short ride the other day I found a loose BB so I opened it up, cleaned it, and repacked it. All seemed well till I went out on a ride and the same thing happened! So I'm wondering if just changing it out to the recommended sealed bearing replacement BB mentioned fixed the problem? Or has anyone done anything else to remedy this problem. Tell you the truth the bike is really getting on my gosh darn nerves and I'm ready to ride it down to the junk yard for a quick and easy death! :x
The only problem that I know of with the BB is dry or very little grease down there. What do you mean by a loose BB, do you mean the locking nut came loose?

The first time I lubed it, it would loosen up over a day or two, maybe every 10 miles of riding. So I took it apart again and redid it, and it has been fine since. Maybe it needs a lot of break in time. I would keep tightening it when needed. I hope I don't have to go in there again, the threads were hard to work with, even with grease.

The lock nut comes loose and the non drive side BB itself was loose, I tightened it all up and it came loose again. I think Im just going to go ahead and replace it with a new sealed bearing BB.

i know another guy who complained of the same thing. my mongoose deception used to loosen like that too. i just cranked it really tight, and it was ok after that.

Mine came loose one time after I had repacked the BB. I just tightened it back up and it's been fine since then.

...Omg I want one of these! I wonder if they will be available in canada walmart. I bet if they are they wont cost that much, they boost stuff high her like that. guess next time i go over border I know what ill be buying lol

Well I replaced the BB and I'm glad I did, I found a lot of metal shavings in the bearings and the non drive side BB did not fit right, it was loose even after it was cleaned and reinstalled! it was like it was a slightly smaller size or something?! The drive side BB was fine absolutely fine, not a single metal shaving and a perfect fit. Anyways I cleaned all the shavings out, clean and dried the BB shell, packed the new bearings with grease and installed the new "sealed" BB. I took it on a short ride and all seems well. Will be out on a longer (15 maybe 18 mile round trip) crossing my fingers. :)

They are cool especially the matte paint.I like the feel but my foot kept hitting the tire when turning down the aisle in the store.I might get one anyway,change the bmx bars/seat and learn to pedal more with my toes.

Oh I just thought of something. Want fenders for these? Bet some old motorcycle fenders would fit perfect

detroiter60 said:
They are cool especially the matte paint.I like the feel but my foot kept hitting the tire when turning down the aisle in the store. I might get one anyway, change the bmx bars/seat and learn to pedal more with my toes.

Yup, that's the way I was taught to ride. :)
If you buy one expect trouble "out of the box!" Only reason I'm dealing with mine is its truly a pleasure to ride. :) and the fact that its an attention ..... is awesome too. :lol:

Back