Monson, Mass Swap Meet - This Thread RULES!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Monson, Mass Swap Meet

KIDS!...............As soon as I'm done taking my NAP, in the truck, you're ALL gonna get it.

I've been debating parting with my custom "tridem" stingray. Anyone been to Monson before? Would the swap be a good venue to offer it up at?

New to the New England area here so I am not yet aware of any other custom bike events out this way.

The bike is about 9' long, steers from all three seats, has equalized brakes, alloy wheels, custom frame derived from three Western Flyer bicycles, custom paint and Old Skool stripes, to much to describe...

Here's a couple of photos of the beast,

Larry

2051250296_cde9ecb1c7_o.jpg

1515250698_c9cd05d520_o.jpg

1515252552_65e0256689_o.jpg

2050457155_92da4bedc7_o.jpg

2051238632_97464af8d5_o.jpg

I had to move out here to Rhode Island for work and the grandkids are back in the Midwest. The bike isn't getting used, it just hangs from the ceiling in the shop here.

I guess I've been thinking it should be ridden not hidden....

Larry

WEATHER REPORT!!!!

ALERT!

NICE WEATHER APPROACHING

Sundays early forecast calls for 55 and partly cloudy....

with a .01 percent chance of 24.375 inches of snow. ahh in other words were RIDING BOYS AND GIRLZ! :lol:

Larry,
I have no idea what Monson is like as Ive never been. that thing is very nice though. There's another swap in CT sometime. Check the New England Muscle Bike Museum website.

Oh, Welcome to New England!!! you'll like it here.

thatismytruck said:
Oh, Welcome to New England!!! you'll like it here.

I hope you do end up liking the NE, I myself am mighty sick of winter. As soon as I can I think I'm headed Southwest. :lol: That tridem is super cool!

I just pick thru a collection of parts. Now I have to divide the loot up and decide what stay home and what does a road trip. 26x 1.75 wheels, pedals, small Wald fenders, brake pads and calipers, Falcon deraillers, shimano shifters, bags, seats, goosenecks, handle bars, forks, and little thingies that go on the big whachamacalits.

What's the deal with bringing parts in. i've got a 1/2 dozen pieces of random stuff, but i'm not going to be a vendor for $40.00. can i just drag my stuff around in a wagon and see if anyone wants to do some horse trading or is that not cool. Or is that standard operating procedure?

I would imagine wandering around with parts would be a big no no. I choose to live in the gray area that allows me to hang a bike on the back of my truck with a for sale sign and my cell number.

Well, I can only offer a few words of advice from my experience. Every bike I have brought up there I have sold. I did not buy a vendor spot and in 3 years i sold 5 bikes. Talking about them, then bringinging one in and wheeling it around - bam "is that 4 sale?" Yes! How much? blah blah blah - SOLD!

One year I parked across the street and just sat there with the back of my van opened and as soon as one person saw the bikes coming out, I had a crowd. As for bringing parts in? why not. Who's the wiser whether you just bought them or you are selling. A lot of time you saee peope buying cheap and putting stuff on their table to sell at a higher price.

I cleaned house yesterday and I will have a van full of stuff. i am gonna set up across the street and sell out of the back of my van. If everyone that was selling bought a spot there would be many diappointed people. The place that holds the swap is not very big and it gets quite crowded on the inside. Look for me when you get up there - Lt Blue Honda Odyddey mini van. Gonna have a $2 pile and maybe a free pile too!

Joe

Yeah, I figure if they want to call it a "swap meet" you should be albe to bring stuff in to swap. but i have been places where showing up with stuff seems to tick off the sponsors for whatever reason. I'll load up the red wagon with whatever i've got. It's funny, about a year ago i posted a nice shop quality bike tool on craigs list, the kid who came by was just starting his "shop" in his garage and for the price of the tool i hooked him up with a huge box of random bike stuff that i had left over from Walker's Wheels. boxes of cables, brake pads, odd hubs, pedals, tons of stuff. No regrets.... I'm sort of tempted to bring the 1890's Dayton racer as well to see what kind of interest there is...very tempting.

Lets be sure we all try to meet up with one another so that the majority of the items can be bought and sold amongst the "gang". If someone that has been there before can tell everyone a determined meeting area that would be super helpful.
Family first in my book 8) 8)

This is just my .02cents, I promote a show for advertising signs, and I would not, as well as all the Paid Vendors, appreciate others selling without paying the Vendor fee, It cost a lot to put on a show and vendor space is the way to re-coup some money. Setting up across the street, or having something in the back of your truck in the parking lot is one thing, But actually bringing items into the building where all the paid Vendors are set-up is pushing it a little too far in my opinion. I would not doubt for a minute the promoters would stop you at the door if you were pulling a wagon with a Parts For Sale sign. I would suggest keep it discreet and leave your stuff outside, nothing wrong with telling people what you have for sale, and that it is outside.

Who to look for:

It shouldn't be too hard for us to all identify each other at the swap. I'll be there, riding this most likely:

ratracer1stride20.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... ride20.jpg

And my buddy Justin will be with me, probably not on this but on something else cool.

redrossriding115.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... ing115.jpg

Joe, I'll check in with you in the parking lot. Hope it's a nice warm day for a ride. I'm taking the night before off from work to go up early.

See you guys up there. BTW has anyone else had any luck getting ahold of the organizers using the phone # posted on Oldroads?

--Rob Bareiss (NLCTVWguy)

Back