My barnyard pick! Rusty Gold! Monarks and more!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend of mine lives in an old family farm in Norcal that has acres of rusty wheeled things. I've been hounding him to let me come over during daylight hours and explore. So two hours of 'ooh that's cool!' and 'ohhh what's that?' later, I gathered these frames:

on the left is 1950's Monark; on the right is a skiptooth Monark 5 bar:

top is a Columbia skiptooth (I think- the headbadege is rusted faded beyond readability, but looks like a Columbia). Below is a 1960s AMF

Since all the stuff is his Dad's, I had to negotiate with him. The final deal? I have to fix up his 'old' Huffy so it is ridable.

I got them home last night, and spritzed everything with PBlaster. So far, the AMF frame looks fairly easy to clean and put running gear on (other than need a seat post). The 5 bar's crank is turning freely, so I should have a usable frame. The other monark isn't so cooperative, and the Lady's bike has some holes in frame and fork that make it unappealing to work on any time soon.

Re: My barnyard pick! Rusty Gold

pretty good at identifying your own bikes, the bike on the right in the first picture is kind of a rare frame. It is a monark 5-bar.

Nick.

Very nice find 8)

I've got a tank for the 50's Monark if you're interested.

Any Monark Aficionados out there? The plate on the 50's bikes is as follows:

model# = 4408
serial# = A0226936

Thank you!

Any idea where I would find the serial number on the 5-bar?

Rustinkerer said:
clerkkent said:

model# = 4408
serial# = A0226936

Serial dates it to 1946. -Adam

on the seat-tube, left rear drop out, or under the crank.

Nick.

clerkkent said:
Thank you!

Any idea where I would find the serial number on the 5-bar?

Rustinkerer said:
clerkkent said:

model# = 4408
serial# = A0226936

Serial dates it to 1946. -Adam

As is the five bar:

The ghastly West Coast Choppers (not Jesse James) lime green bike gave up its wheels set and fork for this; the rest came from an 1970s exercise bike.

Latest posts

Back