(name change) Middle Aged

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterday I spent getting the 2 handle bars tacked up I cut the end of a fork tube then cut it in 1/3 pieces length wise and a pair of vice grips to hold them while tacking.
IMG_20230611_131141455.jpg

Used the flap wheel on the welds and to get the chrome and paint off then a sander to smooth everything out then hit them up with some primer.
IMG_20230611_175708594.jpg
Thinking I will use the one on the right for this build and the other one on my class 1 build. Took most of the day with a couple brakes so that was it for yesterday. hopefully I can get paint on the one for this build today.

Those bars look like they have the span of a California Condor! 🤪
Hard to picture without the bike there for scale.

This fender and your paint job are RaT oN~!

Screenshot_20230612_124209_Chrome.jpg

You've got a good one going here,Brian.

View attachment 236426

They aren't as wide as they look in the picture. I put the stem part in the vice and stood behind it and found the spot that felt good. And thanks I initially wanted to leave more patina but welding changed that.

View attachment 236426

I measured the handle bar tonight it's 30" center
to center. The one I have on this bike is 28"
IMG_20230612_181402809_HDR.jpg

So yesterday I spent getting the 2 handle bars tacked up I cut the end of a fork tube then cut it in 1/3 pieces length wise and a pair of vice grips to hold them while tacking.View attachment 236422
Used the flap wheel on the welds and to get the chrome and paint off then a sander to smooth everything out then hit them up with some primer. View attachment 236423Thinking I will use the one on the right for this build and the other one on my class 1 build. Took most of the day with a couple brakes so that was it for yesterday. hopefully I can get paint on the one for this build today.
I LOVE this type of creativity. Looks like an abstract sculpture in the last pic.

Started some assembly tonight got the handle bar on tightened up all the bolts for the springer that was loosely assembled. I remembered about the walker thing with a seat had some cool looking grips that reminded me of the Cobra grips (what we called them) I had on one of my bmx back in the day. Since they were on a walker just felt fitting.
IMG_20230614_191254230.jpg
pic of where I left off when dinner was ready basically just need the chain and pedals put on and should be ready to get it outside for some better pics and a test ride.
IMG_20230614_191231910_HDR.jpg

When I look at this side profile, my eye pulls down to the rear fender sticking below the frame.

brian bike.jpg

What if you cut the fender off at the stay mount, to me it seems then to sweep up and back and extend your stretttch look....
brian bike 1.jpg

And then I couldn't help but wonder how it would look if your fork matched your cool cream colored head tube and rear triangle....

brian bike 1.jpg

Just musing this morning. I really like this build!

Last edited:
When I look at this side profile, my eye pulls down to the rear fender sticking below the frame.

View attachment 236731

What if you cut the fender off at the stay mount, to me it seems then to sweep up and back and extend your stretttch look....
View attachment 236730

And then I couldn't help but wonder how it would look if your fork matched your cool cream colored head tube and rear triangle....

View attachment 236732

Just musing this morning. I really like this build!
Haven't thought about trimming the fender but now that I see your photo chop I'm liking that.
I did think about painting the springer but it might have to wait until I can get some work done on my class 1 build. The spring and end cap thing was already cream I robbed of a 20" springer that I did for my grandson but ended up changing and putting the stock Schwinn fork on. And thanks I've been thinking about this build since I discovered the corroded head tube.

I'm with OJ on the potential trimming of the rear fender. It really does enhance the stretch of the bike. Love what you've done here Brian - it's looking great.
Thanks I think so too now that OJ photo chopped it and I see how that looks.

Got the fender chopped and the springer painted to match the frame. I have a issue with the Bendix red band doesn't seem to work right so I had to change out wheel set. While I had the wheel off I wanted to see how the cream tire I have would look on there. I think I like the gumwall tires better.
IMG_20230617_113654552_HDR.jpg
The only other set of wheels I had wasn't in the best condition.
So I got the chrome polish and rust remover and some 0000 steel wool and went to work. some before and after pics
IMG_20230617_102959702_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230617_102919046.jpg

This morning before the kids and grandkids came over I put on the Schwinn head badge and the springer back on and the wheel took it outside for couple pics and a test ride.
IMG_20230618_123705808.jpg
IMG_20230618_123821839.jpg

IMG_20230618_123934218.jpg

Might end up changing the gearing up a little not too hard to pedal but I just cruise and like a little lower gearing. Just need to do a little assembling touch up but other than that I think this one is done unless I think of something else.

To my eye, the black bar / stem fits your curves and style of the bike; the fact that you made those bars really adds to the custom look of the bike.

The bar/stem looks a little too 'shiny' to me. I can see you did some RaT-ifying to it. Maybe a little more rubbing of the paint off? And / or apply some Rustoleum texture paint, blunt brush some mustard in spots, then a '4 foot away' light spray mist with your black again, let dry, then hose off the mustard and take a look. It's fun to play with, and you might come up with some added techniques like @BartRidesEternal did with the cinnamon on his Farm Tracker in Class 2!

Great job on this cut and paste frame. I really like the way it has come together. Major thumbs up on this project. I grew up in Nevada where there are actual cowboys and got to see a Cadillac with the Texas Longhorn hood ornament attached. Your handle bar reminded me of that long ago Cadillac.

To my eye, the black bar / stem fits your curves and style of the bike; the fact that you made those bars really adds to the custom look of the bike.

The bar/stem looks a little too 'shiny' to me. I can see you did some RaT-ifying to it. Maybe a little more rubbing of the paint off? And / or apply some Rustoleum texture paint, blunt brush some mustard in spots, then a '4 foot away' light spray mist with your black again, let dry, then hose off the mustard and take a look. It's fun to play with, and you might come up with some added techniques like @BartRidesEternal did with the cinnamon on his Farm Tracker in Class 2!
Maybe a light sand and hit with a matte or satin clear?

Back