NEW FORUM DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Steve makes me a moderator I'll switch! :banana:

Here's the member's page as well... :(

Looks like I am for sale on ebay!:acute:

I always clicked on the "View New Posts" link. I even had the link in my browser set to go to that page first.
I used to have that too, does not appear it is possible with the new set up? The link has some always changing numbers in them?

Luke.

"So if you're still running IE7-IE9......the main forum page is going to look messed up."

So is the scrambled pictures a permanent thing if I have the wrong version of Internet Explorer, or is a remedy in the works? I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but I have already had to ad an App to my phone. Updating my home computer or changing from what works on EVERY other website I go to seems excessive.
Hopefully this comes across as constuctive rather than being critical, but what other websites out there require so much adjustment from a user's perspective?
Of all the websites I have ever visited throughout many years, I never have had to upgrade or modify anything! (OK, I guess I have had a few different PC's through the years that "upgraded" its predecessor, but that's certainly not in my immediate plans. ;))
A lot of the more tech savy members seem to dismiss all of this with seemingly easy fixes, but I'm a computer "user" and not much else in the way of high tech skills. I can't say what version of anything I use, but I know that when I go to any other given website on the World Wide Web, it comes up instantly without any glitches.

RatRod, I do thank you for striving to improve, and I know you will get it all worked out!:)

Trust me, EVERY other site will work even BETTER if you switch to Chrome. I hate change but after long resisting I switched to Chrome a year or so ago and never looked back. Its a free, quick, easy download and MUCH more stable. You can always download Chrome and keep IE to use both and see which works best for you.

-Brian

Just tested on my Win 7 machine. IE 10 - no problem. Chrome 10 - no problem

The reason everything looked great on the old forum in the older versions of IE is because it was 7 year old forum software. Just like that 7 year old forum software, old versions of the browsers are usually unstable and many times not secure. IE has always had a history of not playing nice with websites while all the rest work just fine.

My problem with this is that there are four other browsers on the market and every single version of those browsers works just fine...even the very first versions. Even IE 10 and IE 11 show the forum home correctly. All of these are free browsers and as Brian said, can be downloaded and installed on the same machine that you've got the old outdated version of IE on.

I will have my programmer take a look at it to see if there is something he can do, but I can't make any promises.

The thing I miss most about the old site is that there wasn't all this complaining about the new site.

I too have always just used the "New Posts" link and it seems to be working ok here.

Hey Randy, Not complaining. Just pointing out a feature that I used to like. Figured someone may help me and figure out an equivalent way to do the "Your Posts" function, just like I have been trying to help others adjust to the new forum. If there isn't an equivalent, no problem.

I agree, reaching the greatest numbers is the best goal to shoot for. That's pretty much been my mantra for the past 17 years I've been designing websites. You try hard not to exclude someone because of their browser software, but at the same time you have to draw a line at just how far back you'll support. This forum is not the only site that looks messed op on IE 9,8 & 7. Throughout my entire career, IE is always the problem child.

One interesting note. I looked at my Google Analytics account for the site that tracks all of the data and here is last month's stats.

This chart shows the different browsers used to access the site...
Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 9.25.36 PM.png

This chart shows what version of IE people were using...

Screen shot 2013-12-03 at 9.23.33 PM.png

That means that 16,532 people would see a messed up forum home page....and all but two live in Romania..........just kidding. :21:

So roughly 12% of the 136,439 visitors last month would have been effected. A fairly decent number of people so it's probably worth looking into a fix.

If my programmer looks at it and says there isn't a fix then there will end up being 16,532 people who need to switch browsers. :39:

Hey Randy, Not complaining. Just pointing out a feature that I used to like. Figured someone may help me and figure out an equivalent way to do the "Your Posts" function, just like I have been trying to help others adjust to the new forum. If there isn't an equivalent, no problem.
Oh I know you weren't complaining and it wasn't directed at you. Or anyone in particular for that matter.

Everyone and their "I hate change" probably still riding crusty old single speed, coaster brake bikes :)

Some people just don't know better, don't know that they can and probably need to upgrade browsers, don't realize that it's free, that it hardly uses much more space on your computer, that they can still keep and use their old browser, that everything will still work in it (and more), and that all their "settings" (favorites and bookmarks) can be saved. Some people think that they must use what came on their computer, and

Maybe the chatter about browsers on here will help people learn something new... and they just might like the improvements!

Here is where you can download Internet Explorer 10 FOR FREE:
http://www.browsersinfo.com/lp/revi...WoAUw&utm_campaign=BIIEUS&fwd=1&ts=1386131628

Google Chrome download FOR FREE:
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chro...gn=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha

Mozilla Firefox FOR FREE:
http://mozilla-firefox.todownload.c...518&pl=&ds=s&gclid=CKvorY3flbsCFTJo7AodOmEAag

What happened to the LINKS tab?
Maybe it has changed location and I can't find it, but I used to always use it as a porthole to ePay so that RRB's would get credit for taking me there. This was such an easy way to help support the site.

What happened to the LINKS tab?
Maybe it has changed location and I can't find it, but I used to always use it as a porthole to ePay so that RRB's would get credit for taking me there. This was such an easy way to help support the site.

I have something up my sleeve that's even more cool. :cool2:

I need to preface this statement by saying it is not directed toward anyone specifically. It is just a casual personal observation that may or may not be accurate.
Having said that, this website is a for profit business for someone with a "product". Granted it is a non-tangible product, and other than the recent "Pro" option had no actual price, but rather the revenue was provided through ads, etc. The members here were essentially the "customers" who received the "goods" provided.
I run a business as well, but I cannot tell someone trying to "buy" my product that they must meet certain criteria to become my customer. I certainly cannot tell my existing customers that I have changed the way I deliver my product and that they must "upgrade" their receiving procedures to continue to receive my product.
What I am seeing and hearing is that I have needs that I did not know existed, and my life will be better after I drink the Kool Aide, so to speak. Like all things in life there will always be a better way and eventually all things obsolesce, but I find it hard to believe 16,000+ people should be forced to change what they have been content with over something like this.
Again, I am not trying to sound unreasonable in any way, and I personally will probably just switch over to using the Firefox I already have installed, but never have embraced out of personal user preference.
I am just voicing a view from a "bike guy" who is not necessarily a "computer guy". Unlike the guy in Estonia I don't necessarily think I am one of a kind who may be thinking this way.

A better comparison would be-
Sony made VCRs
Sony made DVDs
Sony made Blue Ray

Can you still watch a VHS tape? Of course you can but its not the optimal way to view a movie. The picture may flutter and jump but technically you can still watch a VHS so does that mean its wrong for Sony to be pushing DVD/Blue Ray on people? Are they obligated to still make VCRS and VHS to cater to a small and ever shrinking market?

CeeBee, please do not take any of this as any form of attack on you, really meant to be just more of a friendly debate. I actually do not personally do well with change but in the case of IE I had to step out of my comfort zone and switch over to Chrome specifically because of my want to participate in a bicycle forum. When I was big into Old School BMX and was on the BMX Museum regularly if I encountered any issues with the forum the first question their Tech guy asked was what browser I was running. When my answer was IE he flat out told me he could/would not help anyone with IE or cater their site to be IE friendly. I switched to Chrome and never looked back.

-Brian

The flaw in the logic of all of this is that the internet is a progressive environment...always advancing. The way code is written and websites are built is constantly evolving. The very fact that Microsoft offers newer versions of their browser means that their old browsers are no longer adequate to view the latest website technology correctly. Version 10 of Internet Explorer displays everything on the website as it should. Microsoft made a change in their software so the the user could view websites that were using newer coding technology. Eventually IE10 will no longer display websites correctly and the user will need to upgrade to IE15.

I spoke with my programmer about the issue and without giving him any background on the debate here, his exact words were.."Tell them to switch browsers.'

When I mentioned that someone was still using IE7 to view the site he said..."That was literally the worst browser ever made."

So, as much as I'd like to cater to everyone who visits the site, if you must use Internet Explorer, it will have to be version 10 or newer to view things properly.

Back