Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say include BMX as well.

I think that we shouldn't include a knobby requirement. There are soooo many good BMX tires out there without them now. Sizes from 16 up to 29's. In the groups i ride with, I've seen plenty of PK Big Rippers on the trail without knobbies.
True, but I think we have to have some type of categorization and delineation within the rules. Otherwise, all of the build off will just start to devolve and run together. I mean there’s nothing that prevents people from building a run-of-the-mill BMX bike and entering it during the big build off every year since those rules are wide open. The argument is probably that off-road could mean a million different things but in this case we’re truly talking about dirt (in my opinion anyhow)

We have to tiptoe between having a little bit of separation while not trying to write a rulebook for everything. It is supposed to be fun after all, but we also want each one to be its own unique experience that people can look forward to.

True, but I think we have to have some type of categorization and delineation within the rules. Otherwise, all of the build off will just start to devolve and run together. I mean there’s nothing that prevents people from building a run-of-the-mill BMX bike and entering it during the big build off every year since those rules are wide open. The argument is probably that off-road could mean a million different things but in this case we’re truly talking about dirt (in my opinion anyhow)

We have to tiptoe between having a little bit of separation while not trying to write a rulebook for everything. It is supposed to be fun after all, but we also want each one to be its own unique experience that people can look forward to.
True, but for a BMX, how can you restore it with knobbies if it never ever came with knobbies brand new? (Haro, Hutch and others)

The question then is, do we have another category to accompany?

• Skinny was super popular and a lot of fun last time around
    • Tire width restrictions and that's it
      • Get crazy creative!
Just looking for ideas and some discussion
Hmm, there's still that parts box and frame for my Skinny'matic build....

🤷‍♂️

Then I would say that would be a build for another time
Then why post the rules up for discussion or consensus of they are so rigid they can't be set to the true styles of BMX? Really having a hard time understanding this hard line for knobby tires on BMX

Edit: Why not just say Knobby or BMX tires??

Last edited:
Then why post the rules up for discussion or consensus of they are so rigid they can't be set to the true styles of BMX? Really having a hard time understanding this hard line for knobby tires on BMX

Edit: Why not just say Knobby or BMX tires??
Sounds like a very inclusive way to go!

(btw are there any skinny knobby tires out there...?)🤡

Some of the kids at my local track race on skinny tires. Not recommended for adult sized riders though
main-qimg-5840e679e930c1eaa729490b0292351d-lq.jpeg

I'm kinda on my own timeline & priorities right now. If something I'm doing happens to jive with a category, I may join in. Kinda on a non-conformist kick & livin' by my rules trying to have some fun. 😂😂 Have a couple bikes stacked in the queue that I've been too busy riding in my spare time to really mess with. That's why I skipped the MBBO this year as well. Some cool stuff going on over there right now though!:thumbsup:

So I think i've heard from several folks publicly and privately that will probably be down for the off road buildoff when the time comes.

• Offroad inspired build
    • Must have knobbies
    • Klunker, MTB (retro or modern), gravel, etc......
      • Do we include BMX?
@Pondo @Otto (Spelled Backwards) @Karate Chicken Industries @MattiThundrrr @ingola @Lowe Beau @radnadnev @Pedalfreak @GTHOtrod @Son of Kradus @BartRidesEternal @RustyGold @OddJob @Mr. Monkeyarms @metalchewy

• Get crazy creative!
@GuitarlCarl @Jude Ephesus @ifitsfreeitsforme @deorman (< you know you want to) @horsefarmer

I’ve been wanting to do a crazy gavel-klunker type deal!

So I think i've heard from several folks publicly and privately that will probably be down for the off road buildoff when the time comes.

• Offroad inspired build
    • Must have knobbies
    • Klunker, MTB (retro or modern), gravel, etc......
      • Do we include BMX?
@Pondo @Otto (Spelled Backwards) @Karate Chicken Industries @MattiThundrrr @ingola @Lowe Beau @radnadnev @Pedalfreak @GTHOtrod @Son of Kradus @BartRidesEternal @RustyGold @OddJob @Mr. Monkeyarms @metalchewy

• Get crazy creative!
@GuitarlCarl @Jude Ephesus @ifitsfreeitsforme @deorman (< you know you want to) @horsefarmer

Would love that. Time, budgetwise will be a challenge. But I could pick up some projects I have laying around. The wooden bike or:

Just got this Omafiets (granny bike) for free from a buddy. This bike has 622 wheels, so suited for knobbies.....

20230928_205126.jpg

I will think about it. Thanks for mentioning me Captain! Seeing your 'possible' participant list, this could be a blast!

I’m in for a klunker build for sure. I love the bmx category but don’t have a build lined up. I’d still enjoy watching the other builds. Skinny would be fun and I do have one of those in the wings, just don’t know if I will have time for more than one build.

Back