Next build off………

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merle says I should cut up last years skinny tire build and make it into a knobby tired BMX...

I do think by definition that BMX are "offroad" but that knobby tires should be optional on them. I mean when we run the MBBO with an "inspired by" clause, why should authentic BMX could be penalized for correct tires?
Just my $.02

im wondering how a BMX is not an off road bicyle.... unless ive missed something and a BMX is designed for inner city commuting or speed racing in a velodrme... a BMX is used for one thing only, off road use, be it city parks and footpaths or a dirt track, stunting has become a thing but once again..off road.
i'll be for it

So I think i've heard from several folks publicly and privately that will probably be down for the off road buildoff when the time comes.

• Offroad inspired build
    • Must have knobbies
    • Klunker, MTB (retro or modern), gravel, etc......
      • Do we include BMX?
@Pondo @Otto (Spelled Backwards) @Karate Chicken Industries @MattiThundrrr @ingola @Lowe Beau @radnadnev @Pedalfreak @GTHOtrod @Son of Kradus @BartRidesEternal @RustyGold @OddJob @Mr. Monkeyarms @metalchewy

The question then is, do we have another category to accompany?

• Skinny was super popular and a lot of fun last time around
    • Tire width restrictions and that's it
      • Get crazy creative!
@GuitarlCarl @Jude Ephesus @ifitsfreeitsforme @deorman (< you know you want to) @horsefarmer

Just looking for ideas and some discussion
I'm in for a klunker build for sure. Perfect excuse to use my sachs drum hubs I picked up recently

Not sure which category this would fit in…had some extra parts and ran across this Good Vibrations for the low low….she’s a 46er. About to get two more cruisers and I’ve got ideas and parts floating around…😈.

Attachments

• 11A256B7-8113-4CDF-AEDC-B7896101EBAF.jpeg
    11A256B7-8113-4CDF-AEDC-B7896101EBAF.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Please pardon the being so distant as of late. Been a bit preoccupied with a birthday present….

Attachments

• 71C0F3A8-2214-4072-A997-67E85FC6A46A.jpeg
    71C0F3A8-2214-4072-A997-67E85FC6A46A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C5E85358-6A39-4C86-8BC6-21B3CF913939.jpeg
    C5E85358-6A39-4C86-8BC6-21B3CF913939.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
Please pardon the being so distant as of late. Been a bit preoccupied with a birthday present….
Didn’t mean to go off subject…😒

I suppose by the silence y'all just let things go, however I chose to have things a little more defined. I don't remember there ever being a rule that limited tires in any off-road build off before. We did define "skinny" for a different category by size but not the tread. If we are truly trying to be all inclusive, like the way we've homogenized the Muscle Bike build off to include bicycles that are NOT muscle bikes... (my own class two build is a case in point) then why would we hogtie the tread pattern to one specific style that many BMX bikes didn't have, instead of including them all, as we always have in the past?

In fact, when you go back and read through this thread, which is a discussion about the next build off, I don't see anyone who specifically wants the knobby requirements. I think calling BMX lowly or suggesting shoving it off to the big build off (which in my small mind is more about custom rats) is a poor solution to the whole fun and family friendly atmosphere that I thought we promoted here. I see no reason Klunkers, MTB and BMX can't all coexist in the same build off without measuring who has the biggest knobby. I mean come on, the granny bike in post 434 would be acceptable as off road if it had knobbies but a correct tired BMX wouldn't? We have even accepted scrapers into build offs that said "must be rideable". Inclusive not exclusive was quoted to me last year in the skinny discussion...

Last edited:
In fact, when you go back and read through this thread, which is a discussion about the next build off, I don't see anyone who specifically wants the knobby requirements. I think calling BMX lowly or suggesting shoving it off to the big build off (which in my small mind is more about custom rats) is a poor solution to the whole fun and family friendly atmosphere that I thought we promoted here. I see no reason Klunkers, MTB and BMX can't all coexist in the same build off without measuring who has the biggest knobby. I mean come on, the granny bike in post 434 would be acceptable as off road if it had knobbies but a correct tired BMX wouldn't? We have even accepted scrapers into build offs that said "must be rideable". Inclusive not exclusive was quoted to me last year in the skinny discussion...
I hear exactly what you are saying

I just have to say a few more words on this topic. I may or may not let it rest after that. There was no such rule that I can find.in the 2016/2017 or the next BMX buildoffs. Not sure where this rule materialized fro.m.

Why would the rules for any RRB buildoff limit the best available components in the class for that build? The main rule for a rat is run what you brought. If it's broke; fix, create a new, or replace it with better.

The best BMX tires for dirt racing and jumping have a lot of non-knobby tires in their class... The ones i plan to use to restify something like my 83 Predator don't have knobbies but they are in the top of their class for both dirt and dirt jumping.
20231004_212537.jpg

I plan to take it on the mountain,, as well as anywhere else I think it should go. I'm in the Sierra Nevada's, and the bike will spend some time in the rockies, as well as the Mojave desert. I suspect downtown as well. Theres a half pike I'd like to try. Very little mud
Here. Lots of rock, dirt, gravel, some sand.

The best tires for the terrain and the bike, is not a knobby.

Also. Shouldn't the rules for a BMX be about having BMX bars and same sized wheels? If you want to get technical. Create a generic class for BMX like we used to.

Picked up these a few years back for a BMX buildoff to restore the old predator.

The stickers that were on it came off a long time ago. One side came off on the downhill race from Devil's Gate to Doc's Flat near the mountain town I grew up in.

I Was winning, but as I rounded the final turn, lost traction and slid out sideways. Slid on its side with ne sitting on the frame for a good 30 feet. Took third instead of first that year.
20231007_113301.jpg

These stickers are 84 vintage, couldn't find the chro mo mag 83 vintage. Will have to black out the made in Taiwan part. On the 4130 seat tube sticker. My 83 is a Chicago built, not a Taiwan built.

Very cool. I rebuilt a Predator a while back. Satin black with hotrod pinstriping in red and cream. I should ride it but I'm debating on wall hanging it in my studio...
150666-Screenshot-20210201-130947-2.png

Into the Silence
Also thinking a pair of the Cult tires in gum w/blackwalls would look pretty cool on it.
GC

Last edited:
Very cool. I rebuilt a Predator a while back. Satin black with hotrod pinstriping in red and cream. I should ride it but I'm debating on wall hanging it in my studio...
View attachment 249923
Into the Silence
Also thinking a pair of the Cult tires in gum w/blackwalls would look pretty cool on it.
GC
Love it. I am partial to those frames. One of the strongest BMX frames made that year. Mongoose did good when they put those Lester's on their bikes.

I see a lot of the cult tires on a lot of the street , track and park BMX bikes on the Wednesday rides. Nathan Williams makes some bmx tires that are decent urban/park/packed dirt/trail tires as well. Also have Gum with black

Picked up these a few years back for a BMX buildoff to restore the old predator.

The stickers that were on it came off a long time ago. One side came off on the downhill race from Devil's Gate to Doc's Flat near the mountain town I grew up in.

I Was winning, but as I rounded the final turn, lost traction and slid out sideways. Slid on its side with ne sitting on the frame for a good 30 feet. Took third instead of first that year.
View attachment 249921
These stickers are 84 vintage, couldn't find the chro mo mag 83 vintage. Will have to black out the made in Taiwan part. On the 4130 seat tube sticker. My 83 is a Chicago built, not a Taiwan built.

I like the red stickers a lot!!:cool::cool:
They make me want to dig out the 24" Predator in a storage vault at work to add to the other 2 builds sitting there waiting.....😂🤣🤦‍♂️

I could grab the 90's Haro Group 1 Si as well. Think they're next to one another......🤔🤔

I like the red stickers a lot!!:cool::cool:
They make me want to dig out the 24" Predator in a storage vault at work to add to the other 2 builds sitting there waiting.....😂🤣🤦‍♂️

I could grab the 90's Haro Group 1 Si as well. Think they're next to one another......🤔🤔

Would love to see both!

I've got 2 bikes I'd love to enter into the next build off, one that'd make a good klunker/gravel bike, and another that'd make a good '70s BMX cruiser.
BftD_Gravel_Klunker_Mockup.PNG
BftD_BMX_Mockup.PNG

Thing is, if I have to use purpose-built "knobby" tires on either bike, then I'm out of both classes. I don't need to be spending $100 on 4 new tires I don't need when I already have the tires I plan to use for both. I've got a set of 24"x2.125" "hook worm tread" slicks for the BMX build, and a set of old 26"x2.35" cruiser bike tires for the gravel/klunker bike.

I'm with @GuitarlCarl, @metalchewy, and everyone else who's voiced their concerns regarding the tire rule; that rule wasn't a requirement before, and I don't feel it should be now. Sounds like it'd exclude a lot of folks from the build off, and it would be a shame to not see all the bikes that would've been involved if not for this one rule.

Heck, I was just at the BMX Vintage Nationals Show, Swap and Race here in Tulsa this past Saturday, and while there were some folks racing their bikes on the dirt track, there were also plenty of folks racing their bikes on the road course as well.

Back