Old Junk, 2 Murray built and 1 ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A church member brought me 7 old bikes yesterday:
IMG_0156.jpg

Not sure on this one, but it's old...
IMG_0159.jpg

Wait, scratch that, it has a name on the saddle:
IMG_0161.jpg

And a New Departure hub:
IMG_0160.jpg

The first Murray made bike:
IMG_0162.jpg

I like these grips:
IMG_0163.jpg

Then there's this Murray built bike:
IMG_0164.jpg

I like the rack, it's got a Messinger saddle too:
IMG_0165.jpg

Clues on this model?
IMG_0166.jpg

If anyone sees anything they like on these bikes, let me know.

Was upset to see that someone popped the headbadge off that first one.

Forgot to mention, the blue one seems like it might be chrome under the paint.

yoothgeye said:
Then there's this Murray built bike:
IMG_0164.jpg

Flightliner??? Also if parting it out what would you want for the rear fender reflector?

yoothgeye said:
If anyone sees anything they like on these bikes, let me know.

What would you want for the front rack thing and the piece on the fork that it attaches too on the last bike? Maybe the rack too...

highship said:
What would you want for the front rack thing and the piece on the fork that it attaches too on the last bike? Maybe the rack too...

I'll let you know once it gets taken apart.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Sweet finds, the blue and red Murray's are cool 8)

Thanks, I think the blue one (f&f) could really be something special if I wanted to do something with it, I am going to spray some stripper on it so I can see the chrome.

dragnusa said:
would love to have that red murray right now. working on an idea for a theme bike and thats the kind of frame i want to start with.

If you were local and could pick it up, I'd give it to you.

The blue one is the gutted and stripped-out remains of a Sears Flightliner or early Spaceliner with that front truss rod set. Its a pity the tail light is missing from the rack...I hope its house paint on the bike, and not spray paint. Spray paint is impossible to remove!

dragnusa said:
would love to have that red murray right now. working on an idea for a theme bike and thats the kind of frame i want to start with.

If you were local and could pick it up, I'd give it to you.[/quote]

If I only still lived in Newport News. Id run down and get it from you. but a cantilever cruiser frame shouldnt be to hard to find out here in the midwest

plankowner said:
What is that blue Huffy BMX? Any interest in parting with that? I'm a little north of ya in Hampton Roads.

Pure junk, nothing special, but if you want to come get it, it's yours, can probably find other junk to give you.

IMG_0157.jpg

Sounds like a road trip is in order. I have a sweet spot for Huffy BMX bikes. Maybe I should seek some professional help for that..... PM me with info on where to pick them up. Evenings or weekends work best for me.

partsguy said:
The blue one is the gutted and stripped-out remains of a Sears Flightliner or early Spaceliner with that front truss rod set. Its a pity the tail light is missing from the rack...I hope its house paint on the bike, and not spray paint. Spray paint is impossible to remove!

The stripper I use does pretty well on spray paint, the original owner said he spray painted it, but as he was saying that I could see brush strokes on the bike. The paint is chipping in some places. When I first saw it I thought Spaceliner, but the way the canti tubes stop at the seat post, that just didn't look right to me. Look under the rack and you can see that the rear fender has a huge hole rusted through it and about 10-12 of the rear spokes rusted to nothing!

dragnusa said:
If I only still lived in Newport News. Id run down and get it from you. but a cantilever cruiser frame shouldnt be to hard to find out here in the midwest

Hope you find a good canti-frame, and hope it's a Murray, I love how the canti tubes/seat stays mirror the chainstays and downtube to make what looks the shape of an eyeball. All canti frames do it, but the Murray lines are the best, plus the pointy dropouts.

plankowner said:
Sounds like a road trip is in order. I have a sweet spot for Huffy BMX bikes. Maybe I should seek some professional help for that..... PM me with info on where to pick them up. Evenings or weekends work best for me.

In that case I have another boys Huffy BMX frame you might like too, free of course, it's black and says "X"something. PM (being) sent.

Very cool score on those!!
Especially the painted Flighliner.
I love the truss rods and have always loved those rear racks.

:shock: I wished I could find complete bikes like that especially Murray made bikes or at least in my low price ranges poor mans price range and like I think I said in the last Murray bike you got Murray's are my favorite then Huffy's.

You have been getting some great deals.

Rust holes? I almost never see them that bad! If you plan to part, is the rear hub a Komet Super? PM me if it is.

Latest posts

Back