Orange bike rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X-RAY said:
i understand what youre saying, you are your own harshest critic, no matter what anyone else says. im there myself with a paint job i did, everyone likes it but im not as happy as i thought id be. oh well, maybe we need to put the tools away and just ride more.
I don't know what I'm going to do , but for right now ,I'm going to finish this one and then later decide its fate. redid the offset sprocket and made it a little narrower. I stuck it back together and rode it around. Rode perfect. I have about 1/4'' clearance on the chain and the wheel and about the same to the chain and inside drop out. It worked fine, with no rubbing problems anywhere. I didn't hookup the shifter, because it still has to be taken back apart and painted. If I didn't know better,I couldn't tell any difference in the way it rode before and now. Other than its in first gear without the shifter hooked up. So that's where it is right now.

tried you tube this time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzLQEdf6dwQ

Uncle Stretch said:
Rat Rod said:
Looks awesome! :D

I'm really curious how much this bike weighs...got a scale handy?

51 pounds without the seat and bars. Its a heavyweight for sure. Needs a small block chevy. :roll: :roll:

My old "iron" Huffmurrschwinn, with der. gears and handbrakes, rack, bags, flat tools, generator lights, thick tires, Troxel spring seat on 18" seatpost, drink holder and bell comes in at about 45, and it's a tank. :| Good thing Texas is mostly flat. :mrgreen:

deorman said:
My old "iron" Huffmurrschwinn, with der. gears and handbrakes, rack, bags, flat tools, generator lights, thick tires, Troxel spring seat on 18" seatpost, drink holder and bell comes in at about 45, and it's a tank. :| Good thing Texas is mostly flat. :mrgreen:

I can't tell that its heavy. Must not have changed too much. At 50lbs its probably like the rest I build. Rides smooth as silk. I have decided not to cut it up. Still have to pull it apart and finish the paint. I'm happy with it. :D Rims do add a certain something to it.

No Talent Clown said:
Pretty sure I said this before: Awesome! I like the all orange.

Thanks boy I appreciate it. Maybe I can shoot some darts on it to kill some of the orangeness. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice redo it looks real good but i agree those tires do not look good cuz of that little lip you need some BOA-Gs made by 3G bikes they are 26' x 3" and they have the round look to them when you put them on a 4" rim but that bike looks good and i love the orange color its our club colors and oh ya my BASMAN is only 53 pounds hahaha and it rides good

Thanks . Its funny how limited you are on tire choices when you run 26 x 4 rims. Man if somebody made a true 26x 4 tire it would be cool. Yeah I think I'm going to weigh some of my other bikes. They have to be heavyweights too.

Hello! It's my vision of your bike:
paint003f.jpg

That would have looked good too. The reason I didn't do a center bar is, my top bar was an experiment. I used 1 5/8'' 12 gauge tubing in 1 1/2'' rollers. It malformed the tubing into an oval, and it was so thick it really put a strain on my tubing roller. The added weight of just that top tube was quite a bit , and I didn't want to add more weight with an additional bar. The frame was just messing around. I really never thought I would keep it..not one of my best designs , but its simplicity kinda grows on you. :oops: :oops:

Back