Orange bike rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ilia-45 said:
Beauty :p
I love the big ,wide ,wheels :mrgreen:
It will look simply awesome :!:

If I don't do something stupid :lol: it should turn out pretty good. Should have had a frame and forks to fit the wide rims. I didn't want to build one , so I'm retrofitting. Seems like a lot of work though just for some bigger wheels. Guess its not as bad as tubbing out a 56 sedan delivery to take 14'' wide slicks. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Deorman. I saw that one , but I'm afraid it would be a little too wide. I'm dealing with ,it almost has to be perfect . I can't run a washer inside , that sachs 7 speed needs the spacing to be like on a normal drop out. I will actually have to make one that is 3/8'' offset. Wouldn't think it would make that much difference for a 1/8'' but it will. I might be stretching it with the 3/8 :cry:

I rebuilt the back triangle to take the wide wheels . I also had to come up with a fork to take care of the front one. I got my fab guy to cut me out some triple tree plates. I stuck them on my frame before I tacked anything together. That way everything fits and when you put it back on there won't be any surprises.

wideforks001.jpg

wideforks004.jpg

Ok when you get it all welded together ,this is what you end up with. I can't finish yet because I need to pick up another motorcycle tube and get the front tire mounted. Then I can see where to weld the drop outs on the forks. But getting closer. :roll: :lol: These are pretty easy to build . It took me a few hours to stick one together. The guy charged me $20 to build the two plates and do me an offset rear sprocket....heck of a deal. :lol:

endresult002.jpg

ilia-45 said:
Why would you not use motorcycle traverse,they would have approached a wide tire :?:
If your wanting to know why I didn't use motorcycle forks ....its because I didn't have a spare set. They have shocks built in and you can't run them real close to the neck. If that makes sense. You would have to leave a lot of space for them not to hit the top of the tire.

Did find a 26x3 innertube so I got the tire mounted. I also cut out the drop outs. Still need to cut the slots and weld them on. Its got a strong 1/4'' of space on each side. I could have made it wider , but the axle would pull it back in.

tiredone002.jpg

tiredone003.jpg

I used the same old ones that fit any 26'' rim. They were 10 1/2'' . The backs were about two threads too long , but it didn't matter because of the double wall rims. The fronts were perfect at 10 1/2'' I took a 26'' worksman wheel and used the same spokes and laced a nexus 7 speed on the rear and a drum on the front on a 24'' worksman rim. The only thing I did was to use a cross 4 instead of a cross 3 and they fit perfect.

your making me wonder if it would be at all possible to make a wide rim by somehow welding two rims side by side and getting rid of the inside edge of each...may be more work than it's worth but hey, so are a lot of other things. I'm itching to see this thing done it's going to look amazing I can tell.

Motopecane said:
your making me wonder if it would be at all possible to make a wide rim by somehow welding two rims side by side and getting rid of the inside edge of each...may be more work than it's worth but hey, so are a lot of other things. I'm itching to see this thing done it's going to look amazing I can tell.
There are a few post with two rims together and use a 3'' wide tire. They also use a wide car rim and drill and spoke it to a wide hub. Its all been done before. I have just always wanted a set of wide rims. I sat once and figured it up and the cost kinda snowballs , so its kinda hard to figure out what it really will cost to do it. Since I can rebuild the frame and do my own forks , its not too bad . the 40 off sale sealed the deal. I have passed on it twice before. Not this time. :lol:

Spincycle said:
Lookin good stretch. How did you ensure the rear wheel is parallel with the rest of the bike? That is when the bike is straight up the wheel is not falling left or right.
I built the stays the same , and then when I welded them onto the frame , I had my frame in a jig to keep everything straight. I also pull strings alot. if it worked to build the pyramids then its good enough for a bike. Everything is measured from one point to another. The main thing I have found in frame building is your rear dropouts have to have a slot that is the right width of the axle. If you do a big sloppy slot the axle can be up or down and really throw the tire alignment off. Just a little at the axle will make a bunch at the tire. You can look at a frame and see if anything is off. Set the bottom tube on a flat surface and measure the dropouts to the ground. If one were to be different then the wheel won't be straight.

Thanks I appreciate it. This rebuild is moving really slow. I could have already built a bike in the time its taken to redo this one.

Back