ORBO Bomber 40 'Special - Done - Forks upgraded

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came in late on this build off, spotty internet conn, not a lot of time to peruse the builds(or build myself)... I'm glad I found this one!!!! Awesome job on this build!!!! Total package is very impressive! :thumbsup:

This bike is simply awesome. It's a great blend of era parts, timeless saddle,vintage frame, classic MTB stem/bars, modern suspension fork and current wheels/tires. Yeah, it's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank You Dr Tankenstein!

It rides even better now. Was thinking of a bent seat post until these moved the bars forward a couple of inches. Loving the added feel.

I came in late on this build off, spotty internet conn, not a lot of time to peruse the builds(or build myself)... I'm glad I found this one!!!! Awesome job on this build!!!! Total package is very impressive! [emoji106]
Thank You, I am glad you found it as well. Its a fun build, enjoying the bike more and more with each ride.

Kinda like copper fangs or claws..

Building... riding...

Sign of a great bike....makes you want to keep riding it. ;)
Ok, I fully agree. I get done with a ride and want to ride more.

We are going to Tin can Alley tomorrow. Should be a fun drop, 1500 feet down... had a third want to go on this one. God daughters boyfriend going for the ride too.

So today, I took the bike to the wash, and to the bike amd skate park. Park, too small for such a cool bike. The wash, a lot more fun!!

Building... riding...

Oh, that color scheme looks GOOD out in the sun.

Carl.
Thanks Carl. I agree, my experiment with them worked out well.

With sage brush, and mormon tea in the background and other desert mountain plants, if fits right in.

Killer klunker!! Love those rims with the tires stretched on there like that. Looks like a blast.
Thanks Chad. It is a fun ride for sure.
That tin can alley ride looks like fun!

Luke.
It was an exhilerrating ride!!

We found Snow, but only about a food deep in places, and only on the shade side of the mountain.

Spent a lot of the first mile of ride on the left hand rock grade to stay out of the deeper snow. Slushy and icy.

Once on the higher speed areas, that Fork saved a lot on my arms, I am happy its on there. I think the softnose in this larger rock on the roads in the hills here is pretty much required for the agressive black runs. Will be wait in for the snow to melt off for those....[emoji48] [emoji48] [emoji605]

Next weekend will get some pictures for a finished thread, after this ride, it seems perfect. Unless the right 44t chairing fell into my lap, not much else I'd consider changing.

Building... riding...

Wow, been so busy with work, been over a week since I posted. Made the tin can alley run again and got some good pics, still need to sort thru them to see if I got what I need for a finished thread.

A little preview.

Building... riding...

So, last weekend I figured out where the bruise on my left knee keeps coming from. When I ride off road, I have a tendency to always be standing and have my left knee rested against the frame while coasting. As such, on the fast downhills, I end up whacking my knee against the frame and not know it.

Enter some leather scraps from the same lot as the seat.

Add some tan stitching to make a sheet.Cut a little pipe insulation to fit the top bar on the frame.

Cut a few straps, and viola, a leather BMX top bar pad, to stop the violence against my knee.

More pics will make it to the finish thread.

Building... riding...

Great looking bike man . Looks like it a nice rider . Like the mix of classic old school look . Really like the bars & wheel set . [emoji106]

Great looking bike man . Looks like it a nice rider . Like the mix of classic old school look . Really like the bars & wheel set . [emoji106]

Thanks G-Matt. I love the way it rides. Those MotoX bars make the bike ride like that first bmx I got when I was a kid. Close to the same width as I remember.

And the wheels. I LOVE the wheels. Great so far in every way. They roll better than most and and stop well. Very happy With the 3G folks on these!!. Bought them off the RatRod site.

I think the bar pad doesn't look as intimidating in full view. I rode it today, and Noticed when my Bruised Knee hit the pad on a jump in a field near the house, but not the pain associated with the other day. I think its a success. Will see how it works on this weekends ride.

Building... riding...

Last edited:

The remaimders of Nuthin Special, that I hung up as I created Bomber40 special lit up in the middle of the night because of rain. Had a light shining thru the back window when I got up today... still lit 3hours later....

Switch wasnt waterproof, will remember it when I recycle the fork and rods on another build....

Building... riding...

Was out farting around this morning, took a few jumps up up the road and the bike started steering funny. Putting a new fork on it this week.

Those haro cranks I put on widen the stance some, loving them.

Was out farting around this morning, took a few jumps up up the road and the bike started steering funny. Putting a new fork on it this week.

Those haro cranks I put on widen the stance some, loving them.
I'm glad they just bent and not snapped off!

Latest posts

Back