ORBO Bomber 40 'Special - Done - Forks upgraded

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went riding yesterday and today. Fixed a bottom bracket clunk that appeared yesterday.

Decided to try out the wash north of town with the bomber was a fun time. Quite a bit of work.

This bike and tire like to pick up 1/2" to 1" gravel and throw it up. Its quite comical to hear 'Ting!!!!' And see rocks fly at random times while riding.

Even sat the camera down for a vid. Was getting a bit warm at this point.

Building... riding...

Looks fun! After I get me some new bars I gotta hit the dirt pronto!

Video is cool! that tire and wheelset is awesome!

Luke.
Thanks Luke! I love the way these wheels and tires ride. Wish I could have ones like them on all my bikes.
Looks fun! After I get me some new bars I gotta hit the dirt pronto!
Yes OJ, Its a blast. When you get your bike together, if you ever plan a ride northwest and get closer to Nevada, lemme know, lots of trails between here and Arizona.

On adult bmx style bars, I'm kinda partial to the 70s Honda XL bars, or Yamaha Enduro motorcycle bars. Seem to be a perfect fit for us adults. Solid wide stance. I think I saw a set like mine on ebay for $30 last summer.

Building... riding...

Rode today. Thinking i need to cut the brakes/hoop off that fork. Or switch it out. Not gonna add the brakes and the 3/4" rock that the tires catch and throw make this comical Klank!!! Th and then a rock will go flying in a random direction....

Had some uphill and some downhill. Still liking the gear ratio, it proved again the low gear is perfect. Just wish the hi gear were just a touch taller for the downhill.

My buddy Paul is about 1/2 way down the hill, can barely see him in the pic

The pic is of one of the downhill parts. Not too steep today. Wanna try mt charleston next weekend.

Building... riding...

tough look to this build , must be a blast to ride.
Like it [emoji106]
Mark

Thank You Mark, it is!

Looks good!
I think that brake hoop thing is needed to keep the forks stable.
Thanks Wildcat!

I was wondering if that were the case. Hmmm, so I won't be cutting it off. Will see which other forks I have that may clear better.

Building... riding...

MC, tell me again how many teeth your chain ring and cog have? Mine is 46t x 18t. Little steep for the short steep ups with no momentum, but works great for general desert riding and keeps a nice 12-13 mph pace on the bike paths without any effort at all. Your ride pics are great! Get you buddy to shoot some video if you get out to Mt Charleston!:wink1:

Love this pic!
20160207_092458.jpg

MC, tell me again how many teeth your chain ring and cog have? Mine is 46t x 18t. Little steep for the short steep ups with no momentum, but works great for general desert riding and keeps a nice 12-13 mph pace on the bike paths without any effort at all. Your ride pics are great! Get you buddy to shoot some video if you get out to Mt Charleston!:wink1:
Chain ring is 44t and cog is 22t. With the two speed kickback, I love the low. Its perfect for the short steep ups, as well as if I want to sit and rest/ride to catch breath after toole'ing along... then the high, is only lacking on the downhill, if I wanna go faster...

I tried a 48t, and it made the low gear, not quite low enuff. Would be great as a cruiser gear pair in town, but not for the hilly stuff.

If I had a narrow 46t, I'd try it, but dont have one that fits that narrow 'Kool' chain. I suspect I got lucky the first gear picked seems to be the best for the hub.

Building... riding...

WOW, just went through your build thread! Awesome work on so many levels.
What a great bike. Love the KT2 checkerboard fatties on there.
Way to go brotherman!

The KT 2 speed is direct 1:1 and overdrive 1:1.3 ratio so a larger front sprocket will hurt your low end and reduce pedal rpm on smooth level ground in high gear.

WOW, just went through your build thread! Awesome work on so many levels.
What a great bike. Love the KT2 checkerboard fatties on there.
Way to go brotherman!
Thanks Kingfisn. I've thought that those wheels and tire seem like the were explicitely made to go on this bike.
The KT 2 speed is direct 1:1 and overdrive 1:1.3 ratio so a larger front sprocket will hurt your low end and reduce pedal rpm on smooth level ground in high gear.
Thanks Horsefarmer, I wondered what the ratio difference was on it. I've come to the conclusion that I like and will keep it at 44/22.

-----

I keep thinking its close to being done. Then something comes up on Craig's list that's 2miles away and a match for the build.

I found a better match for the bars. The width is a perfect fit.

SOLID!!

Color doesn't match. Will let them sit till the color pops out at me...

Building... riding...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back