Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one I can get my hands on for $100 with the front light and rack, missing the front fender. Shady part of town so I hesitate to drive the hour to go to some dusty basement to buy it..

Bodge Deep said:
Nothing is quite so funny (or annoying) as a so called antiques expert (who usually dosen't know a bicycle from an icicle) spinning their line about how unbeleivably rare and valuable their not particularly rare or valuable bike is...
>>>DITTO!!!!!!!!<<<

Yeah it's the same antique shop that has this one for $135 which isn't horrible but more than I'd pay

And where I scored this rusty pile for $40...Leave it to me I buy the rattiest thing in the shop. :mrgreen:

Different booth though.

Went to the scrapyard yesterday and saw this beast sitting there behind a bin, the head guy Doug (Yeah I'm on a first name basis with the scrap guy :lol: ) had already gone home so I had to wait till today to get a price on it. Weighed in at 46lbs even with all the stuff missing so he wanted $15 but I talked him down to $12 (All I had on me) so I didn't do too bad. Now just waiting for good weather so I can get to it. Might turn it into a stretch cruiser or fix it and flip it. I know it needs a new fork, front wheel, some oil on the chains, and seats. I'm pretty sure I've got mostly everything to fix it up. It's a Kent Dual Drive.

Fork is toasted

Then on the way home hauling the tandem on the trailer I found this peeking out from behind a trash can in the alley. A Huffy Bandit with frozen cables, flat tires, and a loose seat. Not in bad shape though.

I remember having one of those tandems. Was happy to own it. wanted to make a strech, that stopped there though, the best day was selling it getting it out of my face lol. Its big and wont fit in many places. its bad enough I have three trikes back there. Great potential though. should make that money back plus much more if you flip it. Makes more moneys to buy more bikes!

Nice finds. I always love to see what ppl find in the trash or scrapyards, as scrapyards here in NY will not sell once items are recieved. did find one trashpick so far ( 24" mtb but good parts ), so hoping for more :)

Will watch for the tandem into stretch cruiser build :), as I have a Schwinn Twinn bare frame I've been thinking of doing just that with :)

Hsean said:
I remember having one of those tandems. Was happy to own it. wanted to make a strech, that stopped there though, the best day was selling it getting it out of my face lol. Its big and wont fit in many places. its bad enough I have three trikes back there. Great potential though. should make that money back plus much more if you flip it. Makes more moneys to buy more bikes!

Exactly, more money more bikes. Been busy today though woke up at 4 am and on the road at 5am to Michigan City and back hauling stuff from an auction for a friend. 2 hour drive there, loaded the truck with heavy stuff, drove 2 hours back, unloaded heavy stuff from truck, and got another load to do tomorrow. I didn't even feel like cooking so I'm ordering a pizza and soon as I eat I'm going to bed.

Did another load yesterday and got one more load today! (Michigan city again) It's too early for human life but the pay is good. Gotta get that bike fund.

You jinxed me! lol Guess what I might be getting. a Tandem! lol

Hsean said:
You jinxed me! lol Guess what I might be getting. a Tandem! lol
That's not a bad thing, around here I can sell them all day long.

Well I went on my daily rounds and spotted these sitting in the corner of the antique shop. He had $25 marked on them which I would have paid but I asked what the lowest he'd take was and he said $10... I instantly said "Sold!"

They are solid but need some clean up but I been looking for a set ever since I first saw them and now I have them!

Then on the way home I saw a guy in a wheelchair rolling down to the scrapyard with a pair of bike wheels on his lap and I stopped him and asked what he wanted for them. So for $5 I got 2 good tubes, some kinda bald but useable tires, and a set of 20" multi-spoke rims.

TWO great scores !

Congrats.

Yeah I figured those rims for $5 one tube alone would cost me that much and I needed a few anyway, and the bars...Well who would pass those up for $10?

CRASH said:
$10 is a score! I paid $45 and $50 for mine. Hopefully yours will clean up and the chrome isn't flaked.

Yeah I hope too, I do know they are Wald bars and not the better quality Schwinn ones so they were sold as an aftermarket accessory. So far it's mostly surface rust and is coming off nicely I will post pics soon as I get a chance to clean them up and get them mounted on something.

Back