Pair of 50's Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kreep said:
Try looking at your local arts & crafts store or fabric store. I have had good luck finding all kinds of vinyl for seat re-covers over the years at my local Jo-Anne Fabric store.
-Kreep-

Jo-Anne's may have that, huh? I will plan a trip there this weekend. Thanks

Got the aftermarket fenders, seat, stem and bars. Had to make a few minor mods to make them fit...

Ready for the paint shop.

Now I need to find something to do while I wait for the frames.
Give the chrome light a little more character.

Thanks Luke... Its getting closer. I'm pretty excited.

Yea Rusty, That thing is really cool! Wish I had one! but don't think I will be doing enough striping to justify spending that much Dinero. But thanks for sharing.

What kind of paint are you using...the lavender? It looks like Krylon industrial safety purple or whatever they call it. Here's my '41 Schwinn with the Krylon "purple". Gary

I understand exactly what you're going through man. I will never use Rustoleum paint again. The crackling going on is from the first coat not completely drying. The trick is to spray it fast and thin coats. Multiple passes at the same time will cause problems. I'm getting real close to completing my paint and I have had to strip it twice. Learned a lot about painting and paints with this project. Don't worry about the base coat shining or looking smooth. The wet sand and lacquer will make everything better. Looking real good so far man.

Alsfelt said:
I understand exactly what you're going through man. I will never use Rustoleum paint again. The crackling going on is from the first coat not completely drying. The trick is to spray it fast and thin coats. Multiple passes at the same time will cause problems. I'm getting real close to completing my paint and I have had to strip it twice. Learned a lot about painting and paints with this project. Don't worry about the base coat shining or looking smooth. The wet sand and lacquer will make everything better. Looking real good so far man.
That is my biggest problem... Patience!.. And yea, it's Rustolium. Maybe I will try Krylon in the future.
Thanks for the advice. I will try to slow it down.

Gary, that's a beauty!

I'm using a Rustolium spray paint for all the pink stuff. It's called "Berry Pink"
It says its a combo; primer / paint in one. But they sell a primer too.... Hmmmm???

The frame, forks, fenders etc. will be painted with an auto enamel.
My retired dad, who is really good with a spray gun, is hooking me up with the paint job. I will be picking up the 'girl's' frame tomorrow. (Thanks Jim)

Yup that's a well done looking job. My biggest issue with mine is getting the pin striping right. I'm getting close but getting pretty frustrated with it also. I'm in the touch up stage right now. Couple more cleaned up lines and mine will be ready for lacquer. My finished forks have been hanging there for weeks just taunting me. Lol

Picked this up from Pop's shop today. He sprayed the frame, forks and fenders with the white.

Just need to get the spokes in the wheels and this one will be ready for assembly.
Jag frame is next, but the rims and stem are still at the chrome shop.

Ugh! I'm on hold... Waiting for the parts at the chrome shop, Jag frame / forks at paint, new spokes on order. In the meantime, I've sprayed about six coats of clear on the spitfire wheels.

Back