Pair of 50's Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the chrome shop and the guy handed me some rims that looked very nice.

"You should see the other set I'm working on." He said. "They are horrible."

I said "These aren't my rims. These are S-5's"

Turns out, mine are the "horrible" ones and they're not done yet. I guess that should be expected when you hand a guy 55 year old, extremely rusty rims. Oh well... "Another week" he says.

On the bright side,.. I got the gooseneck and bolts which turned out great.

Welp, here goes... Got the rims from the chrome shop. They turned out better than I expected and it's time to lace the spokes. Never done it before and I'm not sure how it's gonna go but I'm armed with a youtube video and a very supportive guy at the local bike shop. (fingers crossed)

Ok. I need some opinions. I have two sets of blackwalls and on set of whitewalls. I'm pretty sure I will use blackwalls on the Jaguar with chrome rims. But I can't decide which ones to use on the white, Spitfire rims.

- This?

- Or this?

I think the whitewall kinda hides the white rim...

You're doing a magnificent work here, everything looks amazing, specially the baby's seat, can't wait to see how that turns up.
I like the whitewall as well, looks girlyer...
Keep up the good work!

You're doing a magnificent work here, everything looks amazing, specially the baby's seat, can't wait to see how that turns up.
I like the whitewall as well, looks girlyer...
Keep up the good work!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited, but getting a little stressed. I'm running out of time!

I agree, they do look girlyer. And even though the whitewalls hide the rim, I think I prefer them too. Gonna go with the white.

Got the Spitfire pretty much put together. Still having issues getting the front fender to fit properly.

Now I just need to pick up the painted Jaguar frame etc. from Dad's shop so I can get it put together. That one has been on hold for a while because I've been waiting for the chrome and paint this whole time. Hope to pick it up tonight.

Man Gary! I can't slip anything past you... lol...
That was an accident. I forgot to tape it off and I don't have the tool to pull it.
No worries, I needed to sand and polish it anyway.

Last edited:
Put the new tubes and tires on the Jaguar rims and one of them went flat in about five minutes... Back to the store for a new tube tomorrow.

And,.. cleaning the paint off the kickstand turned out to be a lot more work than expected. A little tape would've saved me a lot of work.

Back