Pair of 50's Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... I’m working on a gift for my daughter and her husband. Hope to have these done by Christmas. It’s been tough not telling her because we talk almost daily. So I gotta tell someone!
After looking at some of the other builds here, I’m almost embarrassed to post pics. But I could use some input and opinions.

I acquired these several years ago and have been waiting for a reason to do something with them. Then my pregnant daughter says she wants a "Cruiser"...

So I thought to myself "By Golly! I've got two!"

Schwinn Jaguar Mark II - Serial# F80739 (I think that Makes it a 1952?)

Schwinn Spitfire - Serial# 7E51060 (Maybe 1957?)

Anyway,... they are pretty beat up. So I have a lotta work ahead. I'd like to keep them as "Stock" as possible. We'll see...

Jags weren't made until '54 but that looks like an early one. Mk II was made '54-'60 then they went to the Mk IV in '60 or '61. Gary

So Jags weren't made till '54?? Now I'm more confused. I'd like to know what year they are.

From the pictures I've seen, it totally looks like a '57. But from the serial numbering chart from 1952 shows...

11/25 to 11/26 ------- F79640 ------------------ F90940

Strange...

B607 said:
Jags weren't made until '54 but that looks like an early one. Mk II was made '54-'60 then they went to the Mk IV in '60 or '61. Gary

I was missing a digit. The last number was hidden behind the fender brace.. The correct serial# is F807390. Which makes it a '59.

Thanks B607, for the info.

So, I got them all torn down.

Like I said, my daughter is pregnant. I figured she could drive my granddaughter around in this thing. (Found it on ebay)

Found this picture of a '60 Spitfire from an old catalog. Don't think these colors were available in '57, but what the heck. I think it'll be cool.

junkiestone said:
B607 said:

I was missing a digit. The last number was hidden behind the fender brace.. The correct serial# is F807390. Which makes it a '59.

Thanks B607, for the info.

Your Jag came with stainless steel fenders. Looks like you still have the front one but that back one has been replaced with a chrome fender. Those stainless fenders are great and will last forever.

Love the color of the spitfire. Gary

B607 said:
Your Jag came with stainless steel fenders. Looks like you still have the front one but that back one has been replaced with a chrome fender. Those stainless fenders are great and will last forever.

Love the color of the spitfire. Gary

Wow! You're right...

Unfortunately, I'm no good at body work, and the fenders a beat up pretty badly. Took 'em to the body shop and he wants a ton to straighten them out. So I decided to just buy some chrome repros and figure out what to do with these later.
(I know, I said I wanted to keep them as stock as possible.)

So. I'm no good at pin striping either.... Soo bummed! I guess I should've left it alone.

Starting over on the chainguard. Order new decals... Wet sanding... Ugh.

On the bright side, I got the Spitfire rims all wet sanded and the hubs polished out beautifully.

By the way, can anyone help me ID these hubs?

So, I took the rims and gooseneck from the Jaguar down to the chrome shop. In the mean time polished out the hubs. The polish took off the red stripe from the rear hub but I had some red spray paint.

Chrome guy says it's gonna be three weeks... I don't know if I can be that patient.

So I got the chain guard re-done... After what happened last time, I think I will keep it without the pinstripes.

Also started work on the child's seat. Made the seat back and bottom. Next will be foam cushion and vinyl cover... Hoping to find some material with daises or something. (similar to the old banana seats on the 60's "Fair Lady" bikes.) Any help?

Planning a shop a the thrift store for a car seat to rip-off the belts.

Last edited:
Looking very good! You know those S-7 wheels need a specific tire size, right? You can get whitewalls in that size also.

A quality, fine-tipped paint marker may be a better choice for small stripes like those, instead of a brush.

The other option for the stripes could be a local pinstriper or a sign painter... :wink:

noodlenoggin said:
Wow, I remember wayyy-yyy back, and riding around on the back of my mom's bike in a chair like that one. Cool.

And look at those prices for a new Schwinn. $46? Crazy!

Crazy huh... I felt pretty lucky to actually find that seat.. and for a good price.

Thanks guys. I'm having fun with it.

SirMike1983 said:
A quality, fine-tipped paint marker may be a better choice for small stripes like those, instead of a brush.

That's what I was thinking too. I actually used a paint marker on that. Not only was it sloppy but, I think there was a reaction between the two types of paint (xylene or something on top of rustoleum) because it was smearing the pink as though it was thinner.

When I tried to spray over the stripes, the new paint shriveled up where the white had been. All I could do was strip it and start from scratch.

I think I'm gonna scrap the pinstripe idea all together.

So I'd like to cover the child's seat with some vinyl material close to this this. Does anyone know where I can find some similar material? This is from an old 'Fair Lady'.

Try looking at your local arts & crafts store or fabric store. I have had good luck finding all kinds of vinyl for seat re-covers over the years at my local Jo-Anne Fabric store.
-Kreep-

Back