Post your 26 bmx cruisers here...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always thought S&S leveraged this geo for their Newport and Rainbow frames. Nice ride!
Thanks. Those S&S rides are beautiful. We never got them downunder.

For an 82 year old frame this Colson rides incredibly well. I’m sure the straight fork helps but the frame itself is very stiff, way stiffer than any other old ballooner I’ve built. You feel it over bumps and it feels really responsive when you stand on the pedals.

The rear triangle looks far more solid than a Schwinn of the same era and the weight difference leads me to believe the Colson frame has much thicker wall tubing. My ‘36 Schwinn frame weighed in at 6.6lbs compared to the Colson at 9.7lbs.

My opinion and preference would be

RA26 - great geometry and outstanding looks. Still bummed I missed out on their black Friday festivities and steep discount

SQB26 - do it all workhorse. Virtually bulletproof

PL26

Monza
Thanks Cap'n! Kinda the way they lined up for me. For some reason aluminum gravitates to me. Cannondale sponsored me (a little) when racing mountain bikes, Cannondale road bikes, etc......🤷‍♂️
Have always liked the look of skinny chrome plated chomoly tubes. Classic look!

The 2012-2013 Kos has a very well made double butted chromoly frame with great geometry. Some of the components are a little average but easily replaced as I did to mine.

Not easy to find as I believe only 60 went to the USA. I picked mine up for less than $400 2 years ago but prices have appreciated considerably since then.
View attachment 224711
View attachment 224713

Ideally, an original Kos Kruiser would be a permanent addition to my fleet. If I ever get my hands on one they will have to pry it from my dead hands. Or a 26" Torker. Nothing with Kos badging is very available, especially in my price range. Lol! Plus I've never really cared for the power of the old caliper brakes needed for vintage bmx bikes. They are ok but I much prefer the V brakes & awful fond of the disc on my 29er....

Thanks Cap'n! Kinda the way they lined up for me. For some reason aluminum gravitates to me. Cannondale sponsored me (a little) when racing mountain bikes, Cannondale road bikes, etc......🤷‍♂️
Have always liked the look of skinny chrome plated chomoly tubes. Classic look!

If it's for cruising and pump track action, go aluminum. If you're going to be hard on it by all means go steel

I'd really love to do a Brew frames workshop and cook up a 26" dj meets BMX frame. 110 rear spacing and setup for disc. Gusseted. Euro BB. Corrected for rigid fork..........

200w.gif

Yep! Been geeking out pretty hard lately trying to find the best option. Gonna be hard to beat the Race Inc. I think. Especially when I start wearing stuff out to upgrade wheels & crank with the Box components it is designed to use. 20mm axles, 35mm crank spindle, etc. Feet planted in the past with an eye to the future.

I just can't seem to find a weight listed anywhere I've looked. The Redlines are just under 28 pounds & the Monza is just below 27 pounds. I see an RA29 in the 29" forum here that is 25ish pounds I think with Cook Ti bars. I'd be ok with a 26" around that weight. Plan on adding a Bottema fork right off as well.🤓

Cool Colson would love to find one of these frames someday been building an ‘80 JAMIS looptail lately, are you running a Bendix kickback? About to rebuild a 3 red band one in a ‘66 Columbia Fire Arrow wonder how you like it
41 Colson looptail. One of the earliest looptail balloon tire bikes. Great rider with a 2 speed kickback, Brooks saddle, Akisu fork and 2012 Kos cranks. View attachment 224644
View attachment 224645

like the pedals

Cool Colson would love to find one of these frames someday been building an ‘80 JAMIS looptail lately, are you running a Bendix kickback? About to rebuild a 3 red band one in a ‘66 Columbia Fire Arrow wonder how you like it

like the pedals
Thanks. I have only ever seen an 80’s Jamis looptail on bmx musuem. They were never available in Australia and have a unique look.

The hub is a new Sturmey Archer S2C. It works well once you become accustomed to the sensitive shifting mechanism. I used a 44t chainwheel and 23t rear sprocket so 2nd is not overly tall for easy cruising. It also spins very freely.

The pedals are made by VP which I pulled off an Electra straight 8 before i sold it. I can check the model number on them if you like.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have only ever seen an 80’s Jamis looptail on bmx musuem. They were never available in Australia and have a unique look.

The hub is a new Sturmey Archer S2C. It works well once you become accustomed to the sensitive shifting mechanism. I used a 44t chainwheel and 23t rear sprocket so 2nd is not overly tall for easy cruising. It also spins very freely.

The pedals are made by VP which I pulled off an Electra straight 8 before i sold it. I can check the model number on them if you like.

Not sure how the pedals text got in there no worries, happy to see someone built one of those as a klunker kruiser been an idea for a while here, something different & truly old, even the 20” would be a great little BMX look build. Let’s face it there are now 1000s such builds that feel about the same, I put a MTB, trick bike twist on mine like slightly upgraded modernized yet still retro

Not sure how the pedals text got in there no worries, happy to see someone built one of those as a klunker kruiser been an idea for a while here, something different & truly old, even the 20” would be a great little BMX look build. Let’s face it there are now 1000s such builds that feel about the same, I put a MTB, trick bike twist on mine like slightly upgraded modernized yet still retro

The pedals are made by VP which I pulled off an Electra straight 8 before i sold it. I can check the model number on them if you

The pedals are made by VP which I pulled off an Electra straight 8 before i sold it. I can check the model number on them if you
96A27014-58CF-49E8-B60C-E95D5D9E917A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back