Rad Rot Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PICK MY RAD ROT BIKE 2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmmm, interesting idea....I wonder where that came from? :wink1:
I guess I've been out of the loop during most of this build-off. Is someone else doing this already? Not really sure if I'll do it anyway since I have an original X-53 light on a girls bike that I could use. :39:

I guess I've been out of the loop during most of this build-off. Is someone else doing this already? Not really sure if I'll do it anyway since I have an original X-53 light on a girls bike that I could use. :39:
I have certainly seen similar things mounted to the front, and why not if it is period and relevant to the styling of your bike. Even as kids we would sometimes strap something on the front :)

What is harder to replace, an original six decades old fork or a modern wheel axle?

I see so many people put new wheel sets on old bikes by grinding the axle slots on thier fork to fit the wheel. NEVER DO THIS!!! It's very simple. Just grind or file flat spots on each side of the axle so that the fork is left original. Who knows, you may decide to put vintage wheels back on it some day.

That was todays project for the Rad Rot Bike. Here's some tips:

First mark the center of the axle in four spots, left, right, fore and aft. Make sure your marks line up across from each other on both sides of the wheel. I used some tape and marked it with a sharpie so that it's easy to see.
IMG_3303.JPG
The tape was placed away from the inside nut just enough to visually match the thickness of the fork. With the tape guide to go by, I then proceeded to take just a small amount of material off of each side (90 deg. apart) with a cut off wheel until it matched the fork width (keeping both sides equil). A vernier caliper comes in very handy here.
IMG_3306.JPG
Done! As a bonus the axel doesn"t spin around in the nice unaltered X-53 fork!
IMG_3307.JPG

Last edited:
What is harder to replace, an original six decades old fork or a modern wheel axel?

I see so many people put new wheel sets on old bikes by grinding the axel slots on thier fork to fit the wheel. NEVER DO THIS!!! It's very simple. Just grind or file flat spots on each side of the axel so that the fork is left original. Who knows, you may decide to put vintage wheels back on it some day.

That was todays project for the Rad Rot Bike. Here's some tips:

First mark the center of the axle in four spots, left, right, fore and aft. Make sure your marks line up across from each other on both sides of the wheel. I used some tape and marked it with a sharpie so that it's easy to see.
View attachment 167458
The tape was placed away from the inside nut just enough to visually match the thickness of the fork. With the tape guide to go by, I then proceeded to take just a small amount of material off of each side (90 deg. apart) with a cut off wheel until it matched the fork width (keeping both sides equil). A vernier caliper comes in very handy here.
View attachment 167459
Done! As a bonus the axel doesn"t spin around in the nice unaltered X-53 fork!
View attachment 167460

1000% AGREE WITH THIS!!!!
So much better and so simple to do too!!!

And if you're really lazy like me, you can buy a 3/8" axle with flats already on it from either Dan's comp or porkchop...
I guess it comes down to either lazy or cheap. :21:

Actually that didn't even occur to me to search for axles already made that way! :doh::thumbsup:

Anyone familiar with this little fasterner?

IMG_3313.JPG

It looks like it would have a very specific function but doesn't look like what I would expect to find for mounting the headlight (which is where it is located). Since the headlight was gone when I got the bike I'm guessing that someone just used what they had to fasten the fender to the fork. :39: However, it does fit the contour of the fork as if it were made for it. I should be able to tell a little more about it when I take it off.

View attachment 167730

It looks like it would have a very specific function but doesn't look like what I would expect to find for mounting the headlight (which is where it is located). Since the headlight was gone when I got the bike I'm guessing that someone just used what they had to fasten the fender to the fork. :39: However, it does fit the contour of the fork as if it were made for it. I should be able to tell a little more about it when I take it off.
It could be a fancy way of spreading the load over the fender, and it could be that between the domed part and the rivet in the centre you might have the remnants of the headlamp, left after the headlamp rotted at the base and fell off. It kind of looks like a similar design to those wall fixings designed for partition walls that have a pair of sprung arms that spring apart once you push it through the wall into the cavity.

It's a rare bike bowtie!

tumblr_oktx912e711qmob6ro1_500.gif

View attachment 167730

I was thinking it could have been for vintage version of a wire mount light like this modern version. You can see what appears to be broken ends where the upright might have come from. The side loops could have been for stability.

613evNFg81L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Most of my time has been spent on hand lettered signs this summer.

Just finished this one this week.

IMG_3318.JPG

I've already started the next one but it will be pretty simple so I'm hoping to squeeze in an hour or two when I can to get on the RadRotBike. tic toc tic toc

AND NOW WE DANCE!!!

dance-squad.gif

One step forward, two steps back.

I took the front fender off so that I could try to figure out why the wheel is tracking off center. In the process the fender mounting screw broke off in the fork. :doh:
IMG_3332.JPG

Despite my efforts to soak all of the fasteners with PB for weeks in advance, I've still managed to break 2 so far.

Time for a little game of hocus focus.

I have digitally changed something on the bike that has always bugged me about the X53. If time allows, I may change it in the real world. :)

Can you spot the difference?
Hocus Focus.jpg

Latest posts

Back