Radchen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've played around a couple of times with the idea of a short custom bike, made to put easily in the back of a car. The intent is that if I'm working out of town, and run across a ride, I'll have a cool custom that I can whip out and join in with. My donkey bike fits this niche now, but I wanted a bike that fits in more with the full stretched customs I often end up riding with. Axle to axle is only going to be about 35", and I'm thinking it'll feature 3 speed Nexus hub, fat rims, folding/adjustable bars, and collapsible pedals. In German, Fahrrad is bicycle, and so Rad is bike. Chen is diminutive, so Radchen is "little bike." I just made that up, but it's a simple enough idea that I wouldn't be surprised if that word already exists.
IMG_3186.JPG

This is a cool idea. Seat placement will make it seem a little like @Skipton riding geometry, but not really because of the stubby wheelbase. I like the inital lines so far. This should be fun!

Awesome idea! Are you going for these fat tires? Wil that fit with a "standard crank" due to the short chainstay? You know width wise.

The name is not my jam, but I do like your ideas and build so far!
Those wheels and tires are the ones I plan on using, and yes, the chainstay/chainring/wheel placement is going to be very tight, and very coordinated. I've got a plan, and I hope it works.

Added more to the body of the frame. I made a rookie mistake, and cut the bottom tube too short, so that I can't join the down tube with it as smoothly as the rest. I have to tee one into the other, which is not the way I prefer to make corners. But it was 100 degrees in my shop, and I was miserable, and trying to make progress, so I left it, and I'll try to come up with a clever way to dress that joint up later.
IMG_3188.JPG

I always enjoy your builds, this will be fun! Looks like a wheelie machine for sure!

The pattern seems to indicate that the BB will be notched into the bar at the back. I'm thinking that you'll need as much separation from the front wheel as possible to keep your toes from hitting the tire when you turn!

Subscribed! :cool:

Added more to the body of the frame. I made a rookie mistake, and cut the bottom tube too short, so that I can't join the down tube with it as smoothly as the rest. I have to tee one into the other, which is not the way I prefer to make corners. But it was 100 degrees in my shop, and I was miserable, and trying to make progress, so I left it, and I'll try to come up with a clever way to dress that joint up later.
View attachment 198325
Maybe you can use that space to incorporate some type of short kick stand. :39:

I've played around a couple of times with the idea of a short custom bike, made to put easily in the back of a car. The intent is that if I'm working out of town, and run across a ride, I'll have a cool custom that I can whip out and join in with. My donkey bike fits this niche now, but I wanted a bike that fits in more with the full stretched customs I often end up riding with. Axle to axle is only going to be about 35", and I'm thinking it'll feature 3 speed Nexus hub, fat rims, folding/adjustable bars, and collapsible pedals. In German, Fahrrad is bicycle, and so Rad is bike. Chen is diminutive, so Radchen is "little bike." I just made that up, but it's a simple enough idea that I wouldn't be surprised if that word already exists.
View attachment 198150
Just stumbled onto this and immediately had to put it on my watchlist!
I like the approach of building something that fits into the trunk of a car. I had a similar train of thought, but took a very different road, when I built my EggBeater in BO13.
One small thing though: in german it's "Rädchen" and yes those two little dots make all the difference :thumbsup:
(Sorry, but sometimes I have to set loose the german teacher in me...) :grin:

Just stumbled onto this and immediately had to put it on my watchlist!
I like the approach of building something that fits into the trunk of a car. I had a similar train of thought, but took a very different road, when I built my EggBeater in BO13.
One small thing though: in german it's "Rädchen" and yes those two little dots make all the difference :thumbsup:
(Sorry, but sometimes I have to set loose the german teacher in me...) :grin:
After I started this thread, I realized that since it's Mädchen, and Hähnchen, etc., it probably would be Rädchen.

Are those 4 inch wheels? How hard was it to get those slicks to spread out and seat? They look great on there.

The way this bike is shaped makes me think of a toy VW Beetle. That's cool! I love how the top tube appears to point towards the same spot on both of the tires, almost like it was symmetrical. Looks like a super-fun, compact ride! I'm excited to see how this build progress from here, because it's already looking sweet!

To me, the frame shape looks vaguely human like, the form of a rider hunching down to reach drop bars. It looks alive to me, fast and agile
The first time I saw this frame shape I thought of an viking axe 🪓

All guessing aside, I like your description Matti! And absolutely enjoy this build so far.

What do you use to bend the tubing @deven_science ?
Profile rollers? (My translation might be off)

Are those 4 inch wheels? How hard was it to get those slicks to spread out and seat? They look great on there.
The rims are 3".

The first time I saw this frame shape I thought of an viking axe 🪓

All guessing aside, I like your description Matti! And absolutely enjoy this build so far.

What do you use to bend the tubing @deven_science ?
Profile rollers? (My translation might be off)
I have a Harbor Freight tubing roller, hand cranked. Nothing fancy.

Latest posts

Back