Rattled (ex ≈ PeaceTogether ≈ name change)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
junknutz1975 said:
Great build so far!
I dig the name change too ! :wink:

Thanks, I appreciate that :D

The new name, Rattled, works on a lot of different levels...

1. I am currently "Rattled" at being a bit further behind in the build that I would like to be.

2. Rattled can be read as Ratt Led - it's a rat bike with an LED headlight.

3. The headlight is one of those swiveling ones that the old Lead Sleds used, therefore it is a Ratt Led sled

4. It will be "Rattled"... as in painted with rattle cans.

5. Rattled is a cool Traveling Wilbury song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72u4gtUWKm4 8)

6. I am almost certain it will have something that will rattle when I am riding it... so when I stop riding it, it will have "Rattled".

:lol:

In order to sort through my build in my head (mainly to decide on colours) I created a make-believe backstory for it using events and things from my real life...

The bike was originally built in 1964 (my birth year) and painted black with red wheels. It was called "Cantabrian" (I am from Christchurch which is in the region of Canterbury. The Canterbury colours are red and black. People from Canterbury are Cantabrians)

In the early 1980's, wheels and frame were painted a light creamy colour (I had a vehicle this colour in the 80's)

Then the wheels were repainted a pinkish colour in the late 1980's (my brother had a '53 Chev with pink wheels around that time)

Around 1992, the frame and wheels were painted black ('92 was when I sold my 1951 Chev that was this colour)

Then, in 1996, it was painted red with red wheels and named "Rattled" (my father passed away that year which rattled me)

Now the bike has been found in a shed and the paint is worn down to see some of the colours beneath.

So now I hope I can get the finished result that I can see in my head :roll:

Glen said:
Pushie Pirate said:
Red and black two of my favorite colour combos as well, being an ex-cantabrian as well!

Cool... what part of the plains are you from?

Grew up in the city Papanui, but have lived out on the plains in my skiing
and snowboarding days lived in Springfield and Methvern in the late 80's.

After checking out laidbackcool's wicked build and seeing the full wheel disc idea and the template...

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=72649&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=150#p717789

I thought about how I could do something like a full disc and photoshopped this aluminium idea...

ilzymv.jpg

It might not make it onto Rattled, but I like it and it would be cool to see on a bike. So if any of you salt flat ratters out there want to give it a whirl... go for it 8)

Awesome work dude! 8)
I love the font you have " rattled" in.
Reminds me of a gasser style.
Really cool!
:mrgreen:

Pushie Pirate said:
Glen said:
Pushie Pirate said:
Red and black two of my favorite colour combos as well, being an ex-cantabrian as well!

Cool... what part of the plains are you from?

Grew up in the city Papanui, but have lived out on the plains in my skiing
and snowboarding days lived in Springfield and Methvern in the late 80's.

Heavy snow down Springfield and Methven way at the moment... :shock: snow to sea level in Christchurch too... brrr

Lowlife Lucas said:
Like this!

LukeTheJoker said:
Love that light Glen!
Cool name too.

Luke.

ChrisMac said:
looks like it's been a good time. I like it ! !

junknutz1975 said:
Awesome work dude! 8)
I love the font you have " rattled" in.
Reminds me of a gasser style.
Really cool!
:mrgreen:

Thanks guys... slow going but getting there :roll:

That Henry J gasser is cool. Would love one of them puppies 8)

Yeah, that font is pretty cool alright. It's called "Fontdiner Swanky" if you want to use it...

http://www.fontspace.com/search/?q=fontdiner

Glen said:
After checking out laidbackcool's wicked build and seeing the full wheel disc idea and the template...

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=72649&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=150#p717789

I thought about how I could do something like a full disc and photoshopped this aluminium idea...

ilzymv.jpg

It might not make it onto Rattled, but I like it and it would be cool to see on a bike. So if any of you salt flat ratters out there want to give it a whirl... go for it 8)
I am truly honored by your kind words and appreciate the love you're showing towards my build. I found the thread about the wheel discs made from metal trash can lids that outskirts was referring to: http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37805&st=0&sk=t&sd=a. Great job with your build, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product 8) !

I have done a bit more...

Re-laced the front wheel and re-assembled the rear after giving them patina with sandpaper. This is the first time I have laced a wheel, I usually take them apart with the "tape around the spokes" method to hold them in place.
26_ReLaceFrontWheel.jpg

Welded a cross brace in the center stand...
27_CenterStand.jpg

Welded a piece on the bottom of the headlight mount...
Before...
28_LightMountBottom.jpg

After...
29_LightMountBottom.jpg

Started work on the hinged top of the headlight mount. The battery pack will go in here...
30_LightMountTop.jpg

Fitted the tyres (now whitewalls instead of the cream electras) and did a mock up...
31_MockUp.jpg

Can't wait to do a better mock up with bars and seat and sit on it to get the feel 8)

Nice stance on your mockup!

Gidday all... here's a bit of an update :D

Welded in a tube for the centre stand pivot at the back "spear" of the lower frame rail...
32_RearSpear.jpg

Covered in the spear...
33_RearSpear.jpg

Welded on the gear shift mount...
34_GearShiftMount.jpg

Welded on the top chain aligner, which would not have been needed if I had planned the frame better, but there is not much clearance between the stays and the chain...
35_TopChainAligner.jpg

Lower chain clearance...
36_ChainClearance.jpg

Made the gear lever to attach to the grip shifter I am using...
37_GearLever.jpg

Started on the tail light mounting bracket...
38_TailLightMount.jpg

Welded the front brake pivots onto the forks...
39_FrontBrakePivots.jpg

Did a full mock up so I can sit on it and get a feel for it...
40_MockUp.jpg

41_MockUp.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the front...
42_FrontClose.jpg

And here is a closer shot of the chain alignment area...
43_ChainAlignClose.jpg

So I had a sit on it and it feels pretty good. The handlebars might need to come back a bit more, but I am really quite happy...
44_MeOnBike.jpg

Still have to decide on a seat to use, then I will be able to take it apart and start painting 8)

Latest posts

Back