RE-TIRED STRIPPER - Formerly Spit Ply-er DONE (basically)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump! this bike should end up fabulous! i like the clean all red tires on that "aged machine blue" frame ..and lets not talk about that tank plan .. Sweet!

I didn't realize that the tank was see thru. That just upped the ante for all of us. Very cool. I think you would have less problems with the solid wood. I know the plywood has more character but it also is filled with holes and glue, and that does not stain well.

After seeing you dissecting your seat to bring it back to life I did the same. I had some cheap-o buck store mineral deposit/rust remover that I sprayed on with a scotch bright pad for the rivets that did a great job on the rust and left the material fine. It looks new. Thanks for the reminder. BTW I have been watching your post and it looks like your going to have a tight ride when your done. Very cool!

Either way on the tank will look fabulous, as far as Mopars go, I used to own a 72 Barracuda years ago but you know that hindsite thing. What kills me is this local high school girl graduated last year and her dad gave her his 70 Challenger440 R/T yellow convertable...4spd , SICK!!!

Thanks for all the compliments and opinions everyone! I should be picking up some wood this weekend and ready for a trial run hopefully the following weekend. I'm most likely going with the ply, but I'm going to consult the guys at this specialty wood craft shop before commiting to something. Supposedly they have plywood that should be "free of voids" so here's to hoping.

Either way on the tank will look fabulous, as far as Mopars go, I used to own a 72 Barracuda years ago but you know that hindsite thing. What kills me is this local high school girl graduated last year and her dad gave her his 70 Challenger440 R/T yellow convertable...4spd , SICK!!!
Wow... what will he give her if she graduates college? My guess is an original Hemi Superbird actually raced by Richard Petty.......

Specialty wood shops have really nice plywood... I used to buy marine grade 9 ply Baltic birch plywood for making longboards from a local place and the stuff was super awesome. I could soak for hours and bend it without it de-laminating and stuff. You might be surprised what you find.

Gonna be torture having to wait another week before seeing that tank start to take shape.

By the way, don't forget to put your pin on the BONINE WORLD MAP
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=984254

Well I've finalized the geometry of the tank. If there wasn't a deadline to this build off I'm sure I could think of another 100 ways to tweak this thing but enough is enough. Overall it's gotten quite a bit curvier than when I last posted images. It looked good before but I think it looks better now. I guess you could say it went from "Keira Knightley" to "Sophia Vergara."

Tank_v2PS.jpg

I'm still working on getting some CNC time, and while I'm waiting I have to finish up how I plan to mount this thing. The plan is to go through the bottom and possibly use some strong magnets in order to avoid visible screws. Below is a quick photoshop of the tank on the bike, as well as the potential location for the seat.

bikePS.jpg

OK, well I've got too many projects going on at once so I'm trying to spend my time wisely. I think I'm still good with timing but I'm seeing a lot of bikes on here that seem like they're almost done! This is the first time I've followed the build-off so I don't know if a lot of people finish with plenty of time to spare or not... anyway here is a mild update.

I get picky about minor details. I noticed you could see the brackets under the seat when looking at the seat from the front so I decided to paint them black. I also removed all the rust and shined up the chrome... it's looking new!
IMG_7745.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

I also want to get everyones opinion about the direction to go when I start milling the tank. Originally I wanted to go with stacked plywood but I rendered it up and I'm starting to wonder if it takes away from the overall shape of the tank. Let me know what you guys think... option 1 or 2? Try not to base your opinion on color, because I could stain either one either color.

option1.jpg

option2.jpg
Sorry for the late reply but... Awesome tank bro.
I think that it should be a combo of the both.. not 1 piece solid as that may dry and split, and not real plywood as that has been noted is mostly glue and filler. I suggest glue three pieces of solid wood together, in theory you could even bookmatch the two sides with an odd piece in the center... strength would be greater and less prone to splitting when drying over time...

Carl.

I also want to get everyones opinion about the direction to go when I start milling the tank. Originally I wanted to go with stacked plywood but I rendered it up and I'm starting to wonder if it takes away from the overall shape of the tank. Let me know what you guys think... option 1 or 2? Try not to base your opinion on color, because I could stain either one either color.

option1.jpg

option2.jpg
I think that it should be a combo of the both.. not 1 piece solid as that may dry and split, and not real plywood as that has been noted is mostly glue and filler. I suggest glue three pieces of solid wood together, in theory you could even bookmatch the two sides with an odd piece in the center... strength would be greater and less prone to splitting when drying over time...

Carl.

option1.jpg

option2.jpg

Carl.

Baltic birch is very strong , with almost no "if any" voids , + they have allot of plys for the thickness and with a good varnish over it , it will last for a Lonnng while :)

I vote for 2 half of thicklaminated birch bolted togeter on the end of the feathers with nice bolts :p
Tank_v2PSidea_zps94ba6cd3.jpg

sorry for using your pics

Last edited:
Baltic birch is very strong , with almost no "if any" voids , + they have allot of plys for the thickness and with a good varnish over it , it will last for a Lonnng while :)

I vote for 2 half of thicklaminated birch bolted togeter on the end of the feathers with nice bolts :p
Tank_v2PSidea_zps94ba6cd3.jpg

sorry for using your pics

Hmmm, I've been trying to figure out how to mount it with no visible fasteners, but what you're showing there looks good too... counter sunk socket caps would probably look right at home there.

So I may have had an epiphany last night on the color combo for this bike. I've liked the way the worn blue looks but it just hasn't hit me as quite the right way to go. I'll probably be doing a few photoshop jobs tonight to see if this epiphany is all I'm hoping it to be. It will require a different seat than the black one I already cleaned up for the build. Guess that will get used somewhere else.

I want to use the white seat below, but I'd like to put some fresh leather on it, and match it on the handle grips. Has anyone taken one of these apart and redone them? If so any help is appreciated. The current material seems to be sandwiched between two layers of metal with no rivets holding it together. I don't want to damage anything ripping it apart.
IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7819.jpg

My fallback is this green seat below which can be vinyl painted but I'd love to use the white one because it has a little more styyyyle!
IMG_7821.jpg

Latest posts

Back