Revenant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my new bearings in labeled jars in my desk away from everything else bike related or I'd be in the same boat. After a long career as a mechanic I tend to be a fanatic about using good bearings and proper adjustments. I've dealt with way too much havoc caused by bearing failures. That Park spoke/ball gauge is a handy tool to have and is reasonably priced IMHO.

Oh gosh, I’m not getting far on my wheel truing. It’s reached the predicted high for today, 48F. There is a nasty NE wind blowing over the frigid waters of our lake. After 10 minutes of spoke fiddling my hands were stinging and my core got chilly. I‘m inside warming up. It looks like a full day of working in spurts. At least the rain we had for the previous two days has mostly stoped, the fog and mist cleared. This morning I did manage to coat the second cleaned up pedal in Ospho. I’m a little disappointed in Evaporust. It’s not living up to the hype. It doesn’t get into the tight places, I had to use dental picks to rough up the rust in the corners before it would work. I soaked it for 3 days. It’s faster and less corrosive than acids so that’s a plus. View attachment 194853
Waste of money, i always use 5% apple cider vinegar, works fast and is a fraction of the cost... Good luck.... Razin...

They went out of their way to engineer the crank so it won’t come off without their special tools, whatever the heck they look like. I tried a bearing splitter and puller. One bolt interfered with getting it on straight so I took it out and used a clamp to hold it in place. A two foot wrench extension only resulted in the push bolt bending and metal grinding out the pressure point. No budge. Next, air hammer with a pickle fork on a red hot crank arm. I may have to use it as is but it would be nice to service the bearings. They must have made tight tolerances and used heat and a giant press to put this on at the factory. View attachment 195034View attachment 195035View attachment 195036View attachment 195037
That thing looks ANGRY as all get out...

Waste of money, i always use 5% apple cider vinegar, works fast and is a fraction of the cost... Good luck.... Razin...
I did the first pedal in vinegar, the second in Evaporust. The vinegar took longer but this is the third bike that the vinegar has been used on, it could be loosing its zip. I keep it stored outside back in the gallon jugs it came in. I was surprised how much hard crusty iron settled out over the winter. The crank is soaking in vinegar now. Evaporust did work well on the chain, but that was soaked for two weeks in acetone, then three days in Simple Green, then boiling water and finally two days in Evaporust.

I found a possible date code on the crank spindle, but that’s a guess as the Chicago Monarch date stuff seems to be lost to history. Looks like 62-0- something. June, 1892?
4C661810-DE61-4D9A-97F6-5405FE150440.jpeg

Measuring and ordering bearings could be slow. I wonder if the LBSs would have what I need on hand?
If you know what specific size you need, I might be able to find something. I've got a guy...
IMG_20220415_135252162_HDR.jpg

Might have something useful, he's got bins of older stuff too. Not likely as old as Revenant, but who knows?

It’s nice today, high 72F, then for two weeks high in the 50sF with occasional rain. That’s still tolerable bike building weather but not ideal. I hope to get the frame ready for paint soon as we have so few warm days. You have to take advantage of them. It’s also almost never calm winds so a paint booth is required but warm temps are the important thing. It can cure inside my truck cab where it can get hot. So that’s the goal now, finish removing parts and then paint. The second wheel build will be on the back burner. Boring blasting, sanding and the rust removal bath in my jet sled Is next.

OMG I watched that guy bend the frame.
It appears to have sprung back but is it not still straight after that.
That's what I was afraid of with my frame over at the buggy trike last year and the main reason for keeping the original cranks...

I found a possible date code on the crank spindle, but that’s a guess as the Chicago Monarch date stuff seems to be lost to history. Looks like 62-0- something. June, 1892?View attachment 195229
I think that last digit is probably an 8. Also the bb serial number is higher than the old newspaper advertisements someone found for these bicycles stolen in 1897 as new models. There is a sales receipt for an 1898 unit someone posted and that serial is similar enough that my bike could be a 1898 model year. So, perhaps the spindle stamping means June 2, 1898. Anyway, I’m calling it an 1898 model. There are no catalogues and few pictures of these bicycles on line.

Someone suggested I missed the boat on the build off name. My entry was built by M.C. (Monarch Cycles) of Chicago and is badged as a “King”. So, the suggestion was to paint it silver and call it “The Monarch Silver King”. Everyone would think I spelled the name wrong and would get confused when seeing it. Very clever idea but I’m not making it into another “Silver Maggot”. It will be a black or crimson maggot instead.
17B0974D-568B-4B7C-B6D8-FC51D5D6B26F.jpeg

If you know what specific size you need, I might be able to find something. I've got a guy...View attachment 195273
Might have something useful, he's got bins of older stuff too. Not likely as old as Revenant, but who knows?
Thanks. I checked with the lbs today after driving to town for my semi annual dentist exam and they have a good selection, all organized, so getting them will not be a problem. Unless they are real odd.

I’m trying to avoid surprises. I checked the big free floating track style hub axle nuts to see if they would interfere with the vintage chain tugs. Well, they do, so I ordered M10 standard old school nuts without the free floating base. I could file the tugs down, but how hard would they be able to tug? The shipping is three times the nut cost.
image.jpg

The head set came apart pretty easy. The BB is still weird and stubborn. The pressed on dust covers came off with heat and a semicircular punch. Under that there is a leather seal. 1890s sealed bearings and they were surprisingly clean. The bearings are retained by an internal snap ring and none of my snap ring pliers fit the extremely small holes. Time for more tool shopping.
9BFF0703-0593-476B-8807-DF3FBCE132FC.jpeg

30sF for the low temp tomorrow night. The leaves aren’t all the way open yet. It’s a late spring here. I’m almost to the point where I can begin paint prep. Probably three more weeks to complete paint, then reassembly, then ride. Pretty optimistic. This timeline depends on no unobtainable bearings. The bb bearings are large.

Not only are you battling centuries old technology with Revenant, but you are battling the elements as well. Seems they kind of go hand in hand; elements relevant to Revenant.

I know you will persevere, it's in your blood! It's not finished till it's 'Finnished'. :grin:

Jatka ! RaT oN~!

Latest posts

Back