ROUNDING THE BEND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the springer on the frame, the front 24"x3" tire looked too small because there was a 2.5" gap from the top of the tire to the fork opening. So, I put a 26"x2.35" tire on the front which made the tire sizes staggered (first picture). Okay, the front looks right now, but, for some reason, the bike just didn't look right overall with the staggered tires. So, I put a 26"x2.35" tire on the back and it balanced the bike out (second picture). I think that the springer-equipped bike looks better with 26" tires, and the non-springer equipped bike looks better with 24" tires. Now I have to decide which way to go before progressing further. This is why we do mock-ups. Please pardon the background. It was the only shady spot I had this time of day. Opinions always welcome.
Ratty elgin with forks and staggered tire sizes.jpg
Ratty elgin with forks and fat franks.jpg
Cheers!

I love the springer look. The wheel/tire combo is a tossup for me. I see where you think the 24”s seem oversize, but I guess it depends how you’re going to finish the rest out. Something else might balance them. And they don’t seem terribly disproportionate to me.

The 24 R and 26 front has more of a 'hot rod' look, which of course, I happen to like.

The fork mounting experiment with the Monark is unique. That last one really opens up the look which matches the frame look quite well.

RaT oN RBT~!

The 24 R and 26 front has more of a 'hot rod' look, which of course, I happen to like.

The fork mounting experiment with the Monark is unique. That last one really opens up the look which matches the frame look quite well.

RaT oN RBT~!
The main fork of those old Monark springers are almost always bent. So, you can get them cheap. It can really change the whole look of the front of the bike. Plus they made 2 length Monark springers. The girls model is an inch longer because of the steering tube length. That makes it easy to mate them to almost any fork. Did you notice the SW floating hub paired up with the springer fork? That could be a bouncy adventure!

I think the original design of these forks is somewhat limiting. I mean, the axle on your fork is in the middle of the rocker, between the front and the rear fork.
233002-Ratty-elgin-with-forks-and-fat-franks_edit_17709755480630.jpg

I have a similar double springer fork and the axle is positioned under the front fork.
IMG_20230519_222420.jpg

However I quite like the design that is usually found on those long chopper double springers, where the rockers are long and the axle is positioned in front of both forks.
IMG_20230519_222607.jpg

The long rockers are awesome, I think, because they make for a longer wheel base, which makes for a longer, sleeker look.

Well I thought I might get myself off of the bottom of the build list, so I have the bike to where I can submit a finished product if I am not able to do anymore to it. I also realized that, after 3 years of owning it, I had never ridden this bike. So I thought it was time to remedy that. I went with the ape hanger bars, level stem, and the reproduction white Elgin grips that I had put together previously. I was having trouble figuring out a way to mount the old tricycle seat without hurting the frame. That was one of my stumbling blocks last year. I always insist on using vintage parts for my builds, but I used 4 zip ties to secure the seat to the frame. While not vintage, it will make it so the frame won't be damaged. I like using rare vintage bikes for my builds, so I always want anything I do to be completely reversible. I found a skip-tooth chain that let me set the rear axle as far rearward as possible, so the with that and the modified front springer forks, I have increased the wheelbase probably 3" or so. It gives the bike a long, low look that I like. I will try to get a few more little ideas tried out, but if not, I now have a bike that I can turn in as a finished bike.
build-off finished bike 3.jpg
build-off finished bike 1.jpg
build-off finished bike 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back