RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I got a question regarding the Build Off rules. I know the number 1 rule is that in order to qualify, my bike build can't begin until after the start date, which was May 1st if I remember correctly. Here's my question in regards to that rule: Can I enter a bike that I started on before the Build Off, but never finished? Even if there are 2 build threads already dedicated to it?

Reason I ask is because I've got my 1950/1951 Schwinn DX bike, Schwinn Dixie, that I bought in 2018, stripped down to bare metal, and then have done nothing but mock up dozens of parts dozens of times without ever finishing the bike, much less just get it riding. I've never even primed, painted or even powder coated it!
BFtD_Schwinn_Dixie.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_MBBO_34.jpg

I'm just thinking that if I enter this bike into the Build Off, it'll give me that extra push to get this one done. I think I've figured out a good direction to take this bike, but I want to be sure it'd be okay to start yet another build thread for the same bike.

Reimagined bikes are common in the build offs. Blow it apart and then you can 'start a new build'. If you already have a BO16 thread started, you would continue that thread and this would be your 'one frame change'.

Now, GTB!
Ok, cool! I haven't started a new build thread yet, so no frame change necessary. I want to wait until Dad's sandblaster is fixed before I create a new thread though, otherwise I won't be able to finish it the way I want.

1624837308304.png

BUILDS

Hey guys, I got a question regarding the Build Off rules. I know the number 1 rule is that in order to qualify, my bike build can't begin until after the start date, which was May 1st if I remember correctly. Here's my question in regards to that rule: Can I enter a bike that I started on before the Build Off, but never finished? Even if there are 2 build threads already dedicated to it?

Reason I ask is because I've got my 1950/1951 Schwinn DX bike, Schwinn Dixie, that I bought in 2018, stripped down to bare metal, and then have done nothing but mock up dozens of parts dozens of times without ever finishing the bike, much less just get it riding. I've never even primed, painted or even powder coated it!
View attachment 162447View attachment 162449View attachment 162450
I'm just thinking that if I enter this bike into the Build Off, it'll give me that extra push to get this one done. I think I've figured out a good direction to take this bike, but I want to be sure it'd be okay to start yet another build thread for the same bike.

Break it all down to a pile of parts, and it's the same as starting from scratch. Jump on in!

BTW has anyone heard something from @LukeTheJoker lately? Is he still busy rebuilding his cottage?
I spoke with Luke and he said "I've been super busy on the house, but making good progress. I intend to update on RRB soon."

Okay, I finally have the means to sandblast my bike projects, which means I can enter my bike into the Build Off and stand a chance of getting it done... but I have one last question before I begin my build thread: I've already mocked up parts on my bike in the hopes of figuring out what direction I want to take this bike before I get started, so if I take the bike apart again, and use that as my "starting point," am I still within the Build Off rules, even if the following mockup photos were shot prior to that? I haven't necessarily "built" my bike yet, I've just slapped parts together to see what I like best.

Okay, I finally have the means to sandblast my bike projects, which means I can enter my bike into the Build Off and stand a chance of getting it done... but I have one last question before I begin my build thread: I've already mocked up parts on my bike in the hopes of figuring out what direction I want to take this bike before I get started, so if I take the bike apart again, and use that as my "starting point," am I still within the Build Off rules, even if the following mockup photos were shot prior to that? I haven't necessarily "built" my bike yet, I've just slapped parts together to see what I like best.
Take it apart and start anew... a new build.

Take it apart and start anew... a new build.
My bike for the March BO has already been built and ridden in my imagination! I'd say that you had an early mock up at best, and to compensate, you handicapped yourself by putting it on pause until now. Get in the game!
Well then that settles it! I'll take this bike apart (again,) snap some photos of its disassembled state, then start my build thread! I'd only put it on pause since my dad's sandblaster was out of commission, but now that it's fixed, I know I can at least stand a chance of finishing this bike in time.

Well then that settles it! I'll take this bike apart (again,) snap some photos of its disassembled state, then start my build thread! I'd only put it on pause since my dad's sandblaster was out of commission, but now that it's fixed, I know I can at least stand a chance of finishing this bike in time.

Great, you'll be the 89th build

1626143739887.png

1626143700973.png

Back