RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: THE HYPE IS BACK PEOPLE!!!!

At the risk of derailing the discussion again, I went to grad school at ECU........sorriest excuse for a college town on the planet.

Back on topic, My build off bike last year cost about 100 bucks, and it was the most I had spent on a bike EVER. I felt bad. :?

At least rust is free. :lol: :lol:

Rockit! said:
At the risk of derailing the discussion again, I went to grad school at ECU........sorriest excuse for a college town on the planet.

+1

When my wife graduated from Campbell she went to get her Masters at Physical Therapy school at ECU. I graduated Campbell a year later, we got married and we lived in Greenville for about a year (1999-2001), it's the worst!

Moved to Williamston but continued to work as a website/graphic designer for the Brody School of Medicine at ECU. I was there from 2000-2004, then continued to work in Greenville at Cintas for a couple more years.

I don't mind visiting now, but living there again... no.

Once again, back on topic (unless anyone else wants to talk about Greenville or ECU) :D

To continue on the small world of Eastern NC. I worked for Weyerhaueser Plymouth for a few years and lived in Lil' Washington during that time in an old tobacco warehouse that was converted to apartments.

Back on topic about build costs.
I built Beer Run for about $150 (but if you have seen my other posts, I usually make that much profit from the sale of one yard sale bike). I sold Beer Run to my buddy for what I had in it and it is hanging in his pizza joint.
I built Fugsley for about $125 and I just sold 5 parts that I stripped off of the donor bike for $177.
With my SS Sport Un-Build I kept all of the cool parts off of the bike and then sold it for what I paid for it. So my profit was a lot of really cool parts.
If you are creative, you can have a zero cost build!!! I do it all the time!

Like anywhere else, it's what you make of it. I like it here, don't love it, just like it. Waaaaay too flat for my liking, but I'm centrally located between extended family....Greensboro, Richmond, Myrtle Beach, and (formerly) Kitty Hawk. (Formerly means that was where my mom lived before she passed in 2008.) Once I get my youngest out of high school, I might look at a change in scenery, but until then, I'm making it! Target location is somewhere within the triangle formed by Raleigh, Boone, and Charlotte.

As far as selling to fund, I'd do a heap lot better sellin' to RRB'ers. Walmart bikes "resell" here for 80% of retail. Don't believe me, look at our Craigslist!

I'm getting fodder from recycling centers, curbside rejects, and people who find out I'm into old bikes. Occasionally I find an decent yard sale buy, but even those can be pricey.

You should build a Duck-Rabbit Beer Bike! You are close enough to their brewerey in Farmville.
YUMMY STUFF!!!

Or a "Weeping Radish" Ride! Or maybe "Natty Greene". Lotsa choices....heck maybe I need to buy the Red Oak Brewery in Burlington and start my own brew.....Darn! "Fat Tire" is already taken! :mrgreen:

brett4christ said:
Or a "Weeping Radish" Ride! Or maybe "Natty Greene". Lotsa choices....heck maybe I need to buy the Red Oak Brewery in Burlington and start my own brew.....Darn! "Fat Tire" is already taken! :mrgreen:

How about Spare Tire brewery, talk about double meaning.

brett4christ said:
I WANNA BE COOL!!!!!

But I have no cash for ........

I've got it! A build-off with the capital spend of no more than $25! "The Cheapskate Sub-Build-Off 2012!"

Don't know how we'll verify the lack of spend, but this ought to be where the cool budget-consious kids want to be! :roll: :D

I win, Paid $5 at a yard sale for the bike and $1 for the headlight. My $6 Rat Rod.

P7030086.jpg

Trimmed the rear fender and added a fat back tire that came with another $5 bike. So even if you count that I got $12 in it.
P8240020.jpg

motopsyco said:
I'll probably just do something in flat black with red rims, white tires, a bunch of skulls, and some flames...

You win! (but we're not allowed to talk about what a rat rod bike is)

texasbigjon said:
...and dont forget to flip them handlebars!

And lower the seat... no, SLAM IT, until you have to wear a mouth guard when riding for your knees banging you in the chin.

If anyone wants to enter the same frame as me, there's one that keeps popping up on the eBay links to the right for $400. :shock:

I'm in! This will be my first attempt at a "build-off." In it for the fun, if I get some kudos, icing on the cake. Plus, we all get to see the talent on display of our fellow Ratters.

I think I have a plan for this... I will need an old OCC Schwinn chopper (or something similar) and I think I can re-use the 20x4 rear wheel as a front on the cargo part...

I've also been looking at picking up an old 3-speed to build into a nice road bike, I may still do that. Decisions, decisions! I guess I could do both... just need to see which one I get the donor for first, and use that as my build-off bike. Then I can do the "anything goes" with the other. :)

I need to get my workshop cleaned out and ready! The welder is just sitting there, feeling dejected.

I think I will somewhat be moved in by the starting date, just had to scrap a truck and trailer load of bike parts :( but I did try to give it away first.... oh well , I just bought a 16' occ stingray for parts for the sum of $5 ...score, i am probably going traditional on my build this year, but have had thoughts Chuck Yeager being involved :shock: :? ....to be continued

Gold Street Customs said:
... but have had thoughts Chuck Yeager being involved :shock: :? ....to be continued

Are you going to convert one of the Wally World Onex (1-X) bikes into a X-1???

Latest posts

Back