RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

outskirtscustoms said:
Or go fixie and put a disk brake caliper on the front sprocket where the chain doesn't ride. 8)

When I was on an FSAE team in college, we did that once. We had a single rear brake, on the differential, to eliminate the unsprung weight of hub-mounted brakes. The rear sprocket driving the differential was doubled as the brake rotor, with the caliper in front of the diff (inside the chain loop). Seemed like a good idea on paper. But, at least in a race car, the materials that make a good sprocket don't necessarily made a good rotor, and the heat added to the sprocket and o-ring chain became problematic. We wound up, IIRC, with the rotor on the opposite end of the diff case. Applying the gas & brake together put some torsional loads on the case, but it was a lesser evil.

But I digress...it probably would work quite well on a bicycle, as long as you could package everything together, maybe with a Positron BB...

Gold Street Customs said:
Almost forgot,,, whens the smack talk start :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hopefully never. :roll: Just show you're not confident in your skills. :wink:

And then there's the mixte in the garage and the Musclebike projects, and the bmx projects, if anything the buildoff gives incentive to get something done !!!!!!!!

Yeah, like a Mixte BMX Muscle Bike!!!!!

outskirtscustoms said:
Almost forgot,,, whens the smack talk start :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hopefully never. :roll: Just show you're not confident in your skills. :wink:
OOOPS !!! someone took me literal :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I will probably end up using this Elgin.
cigna004.jpg

Well since I am selling a bike and actually going to have a bit of cash I am thinking of changing my mind on my build starting point. Thinking of building a fat tire tandem.

outskirtscustoms said:
Or go fixie and put a disk brake caliper on the front sprocket where the chain doesn't ride. 8)

Yeah um... this was done in the last build-off.

IMG_0543.jpg

deorman said:
Oh, you want evil brakes? try one of these. :p :mrgreen:

folding%20anchor_T3_Danford.jpg

Shhhhhhhhh!
I was planning on using that as one of my secret weapons for my 007 Secret Asian Man bike.

yoothgeye said:
outskirtscustoms said:

Yeah um... this was done in the last build-off.

IMG_0543.jpg

Didn't see that but it's awesome.

outskirtscustoms said:
Didn't see that but it's awesome.

It's Aluminati, you really need to study RRBBOs of the past as homework before a serious entry in this year's build-off.

Kind of like what they always told you about studying history, so that you wouldn't repeat it.

Oh, that bike has a fixed rear wheel (totally custom home grown hub, awesome) but the crank has a freewheel in it... yeah, I know right. :eek:

Peatbog said:
History be danged. I'm using two wheels on my bike.

Ever since I've said my bike will have 3 wheels y'all just can't let it go! :x

yoothgeye said:
Peatbog said:

Is one of them a steering wheel?

outskirtscustoms said:
yoothgeye said:
Peatbog said:

Is one of them a steering wheel?

Nopers, it will have bars, but just like last year I'm sure the bars will give me the biggest issues.

Man, I'd love to convert all my bikes to IGH wheels, but they are getting to where new ones cost a fortune! Especially if you need more than a 3-speed.

The new Sturmey 8-speeds are $200+ now. Alfine 8 is $300+ and Alfine 11 is $500!!! Won't even mention the Rholoff...

I mean, I know it replaces the hub, cassette, and derailers (and sometimes the brake) from a regular bike, but seriously? I guess I'm too cheap in my old age to drop that much coin on a hub now. I paid $130 for my XRD8 a few years ago. Glad I bought it when I did!

Was thinking about making a 5-speed IGH road bike, but $150 for the hub? Ugh... I guess I better learn how to rebuild 3-speeds. Still, I might do it.

FunkyStickman said:
Man, I'd love to convert all my bikes to IGH wheels, but they are getting to where new ones cost a fortune! Especially if you need more than a 3-speed.

The new Sturmey 8-speeds are $200+ now. Alfine 8 is $300+ and Alfine 11 is $500!!! Won't even mention the Rholoff...

I mean, I know it replaces the hub, cassette, and derailers (and sometimes the brake) from a regular bike, but seriously? I guess I'm too cheap in my old age to drop that much coin on a hub now. I paid $130 for my XRD8 a few years ago. Glad I bought it when I did!

Was thinking about making a 5-speed IGH road bike, but $150 for the hub? Ugh... I guess I better learn how to rebuild 3-speeds. Still, I might do it.

Just make a 9 speed out of a 3 speed and a front derailleur crank. :p :wink:

Seems to me when I checked recently, the S-A 8-speed could be found for around $145, and the 5-speed for $125 (w/ drum brake). So, it isn't that unreasonable. I agree that the Alfine hubs are pricey. Is SRAM still making IG hubs? IIRC, they had a 9-speed unit a while back...

Back