RRBBO7 HYPE UP THREAD!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

expjawa said:
Seems to me when I checked recently, the S-A 8-speed could be found for around $145, and the 5-speed for $125 (w/ drum brake). So, it isn't that unreasonable. I agree that the Alfine hubs are pricey. Is SRAM still making IG hubs? IIRC, they had a 9-speed unit a while back...

I found out that there is an earlier generation of the 8-speed that had problems with the gears (in fact, mine broke, they replaced the internals under warranty). I'm guessing the ones for $150 are the leftovers from that batch, all the newer ones I've seen are $200+. I'm hoping it's because they re-tooled it and made it a bit more robust. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one, I still think the SA 8-speed is the best bang for the buck in the IGH world under most conditions.

I've been seriously thinking about getting a singlespeed MTB with disks and using the XRK8 with a tiny chainring. Would make a great gravel grinder/trekking bike.

Peatbog said:
Where's Jake?

I know Jake is lurking around like a Ninja right now because he posted on my Fresh Find yesterday. I expect him to be in full force come build time.

I think once the buildoff gets rolling we will see alot of members popping back into the forum, I have already pondered three other build ideas since i posted my frame pick,,,sheesh, decisions,decisions.

The thing that slowed my build the most last time was the fact that I built or modified nearly every part I put on the bike, while it seemed like a lot of the bike I saw being built were more of an assembly. Maybe to take the pressure off I will just build all my parts now, then when the build-off starts I can just assemble everything and be done with it!

Also, remember a loop-hole exposed last year for professional paint, now is the time to take advantage of it. Before you purchase the frame you want for the build off, have the person selling the frame have it painted how you want it or powder coated, then buy it from them. If you already have a frame, give it to a friend and have them have the work done then "purchase" it back from them. :wink:

Cheaters unite!

youth, you are soooo bad giving ideas like that and here I thought you were a real stand up guy. I am so ashame. LOL. you are BADD.

Outlaw :eek:

OUTLAW said:
youth, you are soooo bad giving ideas like that and here I thought you were a real stand up guy. I am so ashame. LOL. you are BADD.

Outlaw :eek:

Haha, not bad, just jealous of the guys who have it all together. Not only can't I afford professional paint or powder coat, but I don't want it if I can't do it myself. I think it's so fun to show something off and have people think it was done by a professional when it was just something I did.

Cheating...Shame on you guys. I am going to be doing 100% of the work on my bike. Still deciding weather mine will be painted or weathered. Might try my hand at pinstriping for the first time. Wish me luck. Any pointers?

that kinda goes back 2 what everyoe was sayin ...."maybe people dont have a welder or acsess to one "
well mayb people dont have a painter or coater .....thats why i said ANYTHING GOES BUILD do what u want how u want !!!! not everyone has cash or some BUDDY that can do this stuff !!!
if i can let someone paint n do all the body work on my BO bike why not just let someone build it all the way up n call it done !!!

Just because some may not be up to the challenge of building within the rules, that's no reason to change them.
If you want to build something outside the rules, forget the build-off and just build it. :idea:

OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7 "HYPE-UP" THREAD!

This would be my first build off and I have ideas floating around in my head based on a girls frame. Far from girly though.. think of the toughest, meanest chick you can and put a vintage rat rod under her... we'll see what happens. The problem is that all the parts are in my head and not in my garage!

Re: OFFICIAL BUILD OFF 7

Critter1 said:
This would be my first build off and I have ideas floating around in my head based on a girls frame. Far from girly though.. think of the toughest, meanest chick you can and put a vintage rat rod under her... we'll see what happens. The problem is that all the parts are in my head and not in my garage!

There's two ways to look at it: Build the coolest bike with what you have, or make a plan ahead of time and work on getting the parts you need.

Both ways are fun, but having a plan (and having to change it) is a lot more work for me. What I did was take a crummy bike, make it as cool as I could with very little money, and buy one nice thing to go on it. Everything else is used or cheap.

I easily spent $200 on the back wheel of my build... that was more than twice the rest of the bike combined. But it was perfect!

I guess what I'm saying is only spend money where it counts. This is RRB!

The main ingredient in my build will be RUST! There will be NO new parts on it (other than spokes & tires & bearings) & it WILL be Ratty! :mrgreen: Not in to win, but I will have a good time building it! 8) :mrgreen: I will be happy if I am runner-up for last place! :D

Peatbog said:
Where's Jake?
Here I am!! Glad to see someone wonders where I am. I see you guys are getting ready. Yeah I see ya sweating the rules still. Ha Ha! What up Pick!! Get ready cuz the Jake will be ready so cue up that Harvey Danger "Flagpole Sitta" and Get ta Dreamin'!! Peace

JAKE! To to hear from you! I will be doing my own thing on the side and not entering this year, but i look forward to see what you'll be throwing down this year.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for joining us again Jake, I haven't cut up any more OCC lately, so I know you can't be mad at me right now... we shall see though when the build off begins... :eek:

I told you that Jake was sneaking around like a ninja. Git to posting ya kwazy Philly cheesesteak watter!!!!

I bet that before the deadline for BO7 that Tank puts together a true rat thrown together at the last minute that looks amazing!

I have an opinion request. If you built a cool trailer to match up with your build bike, do you think it would be considered as part of the total build?

kingfish254 said:
I have an opinion request. If you built a cool trailer to match up with your build bike, do you think it would be considered as part of the total build?

I think it would count, yeah. As long as it was the same quality/style.

kingfish254 said:

If you show the build and incorporate it into your build thread people will vote accordingly... kind of like having a model pose with your bike. :mrgreen:

What would happen if I just made the build off "anything goes?"

Would it make that much of a difference? :shock:

Back