Rust removal, preserving and creation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought so but then I wasn't sure as there are definitely posts missing....

Someone was saying they had tried the electrolyte method but the results weren't that good.
That's where I said "try again"

So who was that...?

o_O

I recall that, too.... but i don't recall who it was.

For creating rust I have mixed up water, white vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of salt in a cup and brushed it on.
It works within an hour here in the tropics.
2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water is what I did, roughly.

After a few days outside in the weather some lovely rust covering has been created.

;)
So when creating rust after the process is done is it wise to clear it? If it's an artificial rust won't the clear screw it up? I've noticed on what I've been been playing with as soon as I touch the rust my hand turns orange. Whats the best method to create the patina look and preserve it? I've tested a spare chainguard and it's perfect now in my eyes but before I take a frame and do this method any help would be great

Yeh that's when it gets tricky.

I've only coated "old" rust with that Xtroll stuff before, and that was on stuff that was very very rusted.
Like the radio in post two in this thread.
I wirebrushed that with angle grinder attachment and cleaned it and then coated it.

As you say, the rust you created will rub off and make your hands orange.
If you try and clear coat that it won't work as there's nothing for the lacquer to bite in to.

I dunno how long you'd have to leave it until the rust goes deeper in to the metal and you can brush the loose stuff off and coat it....

:)

I don't understand how the positive and negative can connect via the tubes and water, and not shock you if you place your hand in it?! It seems it would cause a ground, which is dangerous even at low voltages. It reminds me of the home-made variacs people make from tubs of water and copper pipe (scariac, on youtube). They are supposedly safe but appear so dangerous.

How much baking soda to water do you use for electric rust removal? That would be perfect for cracks or crevices you could not get to or even inside of tubing. Did it clean the inside of that tube like the outside?

How much baking soda to water do you use for electric rust removal?
I used a 300g (10 oz) pack for a 32L (8-ish gallon) tub.

Most websites I read say about one tablespoon per gallon.

Did it clean the inside of that tube like the outside?

Ooooo that's a good question.
I'll have to see if I can find it and have a look.

Haven't actually done anything else since I did that first trial run haha.
Been meaning to do some chain for some projects but never got round to it.

:)

Back