Single & Ready to Mingle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the feeling (and fun) of rumaging through your hoard of "stuff". It's fun what pops up sometimes.

Great choice on the stem and bars.
That fender should look cool. Are you going to notch it around the chain and frame so that it drops below the chainstay as well. I've always thought that was a cool look.
That’s an interesting idea, I hadn’t even thought about that.

HARD TO SAY FOR SURE BUT I'M THINKING THAT FENDER IS FROM A 50'S COLUMBIA
IF IT IS THAT WOULD PERFECTLY BALANCE OUT HAVING A COLUMBIA SPRINGER ON THE FRONT
TOO BAD IT WASNT A FRONT FENDER
THOSE ALREADY HAVE THAT PERFECT "BOBBED" LOOK WITHOUT MUCH MODIFYING
YOU CAN SEE HOW ONE LOOKS ON MY RRBO FIRE WOMAN
Your fender looks pretty much exactly the same. Though yours looks to be a middleweight fender, which would fit a little easier in my frame. Also, the fender on mine has flat braces that tend to be on older/prewar bikes. Westfield build some elgin bikes, so that very well could have been who made the fender.

That’s an interesting idea, I hadn’t even thought about that.

Here is one that I have from @yeshoney along with what the triple ducktail version looked like on his "Paint It Black" build.

1657221286445.png
1657221381836.png

I don't think I've ever seen one of those single bar Schwinns before. That's pretty sharp, especially with the Quick Bricks and that finned aluminum tank! So far, everything's looking real good! I'm curious to see how you'll straighten out that Columbia springer fork. I've had one before that was bent back like that.

How's this build coming along? One month to go baby! Bring it on home!

I think this bike might be dead in the water for this years build off. I really like this bike and will finish it, but my energy for this one has kind of vanished. With a two year old, work, and trying to finish up my hot rod I don’t have a lot left. I’ve been finish up other nearly finished bikes that have been in the way for the last couple of years so that I have more room.

This 50’s Hornet I finished for a friend.
84218FE5-C8B4-4517-9332-3F3139563C25.jpeg
102E67E9-8B99-4627-8CAD-E81A68FDA838.jpeg
41FC3E54-384E-4B07-AF0C-6144DE40CFA3.jpeg

I got this parts bin colson with thick bricks done last night and ready for speedweek out on the salt flats. Unfortunately, due to rain the racing is delayed for at least a couple of days.
3255C9CA-1575-4129-A810-DB2F11133A52.jpeg

Finally, today I finished up this 63 varsity that I’ve been tripping over. It’s got 700c wheels with a nexus three speed. The original shifter works pretty good with the nexus.
A761F5FA-68CF-4DEF-AE1E-DF83D79AE1FB.jpeg
468A3A91-53B1-449B-9F9D-BD0ED1899517.jpeg
86666619-6178-45AB-8F5C-637A58CC8EAE.jpeg
87AC6EAA-408B-4ADC-BCA6-E8EAF2EAC177.jpeg
CE8A3562-1402-4580-AC92-FE78D3F92719.jpeg

Look at that schwinn paint glow in the sun.
742A5973-2A1D-4EE0-B496-D72B57EB6012.jpeg

Ok, ok, I’m not throwing in the towel just yet on this one. I got a lot of other projects done, so I’m going to try to finish this one. I don’t really have the time to make a jig to straighten the fork. I’ve tried out a few different one and I think this beehive springer might be the winner. It also has a patina this is a pretty close match. It gives it a little different look, but I think I like it.
29ED2643-1270-4031-9EBC-7473900444BE.jpeg
C154D4B2-1939-4AC1-BEEC-8072AD42950F.jpeg

The beehive looks great!

The tires are a toss up to me. I'm a fan of Schwalbes as a general rule. But then who can argue with a Jerald slick! :cool:

Agreed. I like the look of both set of tires. I’ll pull out some black walls and mount them to get a better idea.

Beehive looks great. I like how the lines of the chrome spring mimic the tank fins.
The blackwalls mockup look good, but I like the creams better.

The beehive looks great! I'm a black tire guy so love the look. Have you tried flipping the fork linkage to see how it would look?

Really dig your bike.... :cool: :cool:

@kingfish254 I thought the same thing about the spring mimicking the fins!

@Mr. Monkeyarms I’m probably in the minority, but generally I don’t like the look of these forks when flipped. I think they look more elegant in the stock layout.

I had a chance to mock up some black wall tires today. The rear is a Jerald slick and the front is an old schwinn typhoon cord. I’m really digging this combo quite a bit. I like that the rear is fatter and it gives it a slight big and little look. The cream tires are really cool but to me the black walls look more like a hot rod, and that’s the look I’ve been going for.
42D3E6B4-E3E4-4B93-943E-F6E6F81CF369.jpeg
E29EEB9B-38FA-4A9D-84D9-ED42721AA0F7.jpeg
1EA663E5-CB98-4F6C-9879-F33B8861E997.jpeg

I'll admit, I really liked those cream-colored tires you had on before, but I can totally see the hot rod vibes with the slick and brick you've got mounted on there now. I also like how much meatier those tires look thanks to being mounted on black rims. Really adds to it, I think. That finned aluminum tank also fits right in with that theme. Reminds me of those classic flathead fords with the finned Edelbrock valve covers! And that beehive springer really fits right in with the paint and patina on the rest of the bike!

Side note: do they still sell those Jerald slicks? I need to get me one of those for one of my bikes.

I really like how the beehive springer matches the ribbing on the finned aluminum tank
Any chance you have some vintage white rims with a patina that matches the rest of the white
I think those would look awesome with that jerald slick

@Bike from the Dead , Like what @MattiThundrrr said you usually buy there from a tack shop. I think the company went under for a bit, but they ended up being bought. I've had the tire for a while and if I remember correctly I bought it directly from Jerald.

@MONARKofSoCal I've been thinking the same thing. I also would like to see what the cream tires look like on white rims on this bike. I have a couple pairs of tires that would match the patina pretty well, it's just a matter of getting them out of storage before the deadline. Though I might have some here that are skit-tooth that I could at least see what they look like. I'll keep moving forward and hope that I have a chance to get them. I guess at some point I've just got to pick something because there are endless possibilities of wheel and tire combos.

Latest posts

Back