~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The Finale. p13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #3 - 5/9

yoothgeye said:
A month or so ago I won an eBay auction for one of those cereal plates (North Carolina) and I really love it! It's not the right year for my bike (about 3 years early) but it's awesome, I don't care.

Yeah it's fine. Like finding a needle in a haystack to find a correct year/correct state plate. I'd compare it to winning the lottery, especially for older bikes. I saw an identical plate the other day and tried to buy it and lost the auction. Good thing, that plate looked brand new. This one has some age/character to it so it worked out niiice! :mrgreen:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #4 - 5/13 - SPARKS!!

So the official color of the bike is "Tattered n Ratty". A good amount of the paint looks like it was sanded off decades ago. I'm cool with it though. I had these forks laying around for a while so I decided to slap 'em on and liked the longer length and look of the bike 8) I think they're only 20" forks but they look like they'll take the 24" tires I got.
32-2011-09-02105856copy.jpg

The steerer tube was a bit too long so knocked it down about an inch/inch and a quarter. Carbide blade does the job.
2011-09-09170059.jpg

De-burred with file.
2011-09-09170810.jpg

Sparks is sparks!! Threw this action shot in here for dramatic effect 8) This actually had to happen because I want to keep the fenders for that "fat" look. There was no way I could put the front fender on without modifiying the bottom of the steerer tube.
2011-09-27193259-1.jpg

After I snapped this pic, I finished cutting the angle and then I smoothed it out with the grinder. Now the fender fits! :mrgreen:
2011-09-27192959.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #4 - 5/13

Cool stuff man.

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #4 - 5/13

Sparks iz good!

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #5 - 6/4

Since I'm 5'11" and this Monark is a smaller 24" bike, I want to elongate the seat to handle bar distance. So I thought, "I'll make a layed back seat post!". I figured, a little heat, some leverage, a form, pack the tube with sand...this will work!
2012-01-28151324.jpg

2012-01-28154236.jpg

WRONG... :shock: This is the second tube that creased on me. I'll leave it for now.
2012-01-28143223.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the process but I added about a half an inch of white to the new cheapy Kenda white-walls I recently purchased. I think the tires are too new to have the plastic paint grab on. I like the "fatter" width of the white wall, which is what I was going for but I'm going to have to re-prep and prime/paint the tires again.
2011-09-03022022.jpg

This pic doesn't show the whole reflector but I wanted to show the red reflector I cut and retrofitted into the original relector housing. I had an old Safe-Lite reflector hanging around that I cut to fit. The red plastic was a little beat up so It looks like it's original to the bike. I'm happy about that. I'm also gonna try my hand at pin-striping the bike in 50's hotrod style. I'm going to draw patterns first which I started here in pencil and I'll use the typical 50's colors which often were red/white/black.
2012-01-21151915.jpg

Progress! Looking good.
Have Fun!

From what I've seen in the past, to use the "sand in the tube" trick to bending, the ends must be welded closed or somehow capped so that the sand really has no way to move at all. I never tried the sand method, I've done some bending with heat, but for my seat posts I've cut and rewelded.

yoothgeye said:
From what I've seen in the past, to use the "sand in the tube" trick to bending, the ends must be welded closed or somehow capped so that the sand really has no way to move at all. I never tried the sand method, I've done some bending with heat, but for my seat posts I've cut and rewelded.

Yep.. that's what I do too. I've never had the sand trick done succefully. I also tryed another trick: to cap the ends with water and soap inside tube, then freeze it, and then bend. But it did'nt work also...

Anything new going on with your build?

yoothgeye said:
I know I could do this with the right equipment but in true rat rodder style, I'm learning by taking some lumps here and there :p I lack better equipment too, I know I need more heat, I'm not making the tube turn red at all. I'll find a way eventually 8)

kingfish254 said:
Anything new going on with your build?
I have been workin on the bike and spending a lot of time at work too. Been hitting some road blocks with the bike but I've been able to get some good stuff done. I'll put up some new photos soon. 8)

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #6 - 6/18

Thank you epay! 1940's 510 DIETZ NY Fog Light to shed some light on the subject!
2011-09-03143315.jpg

50's Pin Up girlie sticker from Smoopy's that I "aged" a little by beating it up a bit and some rough stripe layouts.
2012-01-21151808.jpg

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #6 - 6/18 Pg.3

Cool stuff there 8) The pinup girl is a nice touch :wink:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #6 - 6/18 Pg.3

justride said:
Nice bike - I need to track down a rear rack like that - it's sweet.
Thanks. I see these racks come up every once in a while on this site.

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #7 - 6/21

This is what we got, a mock-up/unbolted test. I like the low slung, elongated look to the bike. Looks meaner too.
SepiaMockUp.jpg

2011-09-24200027.jpg

EastOfEastLos said:
This is we got, a mock-up/unbolted test. I like the low slung, elongated look to the bike. Looks meaner too.
SepiaMockUp.jpg

I like the stance too.

I also think the big wheels behing the front are pretty cool too!!!

kingfish254 said:
EastOfEastLos said:
This is we got, a mock-up/unbolted test. I like the low slung, elongated look to the bike. Looks meaner too.
SepiaMockUp.jpg

I like the stance too.

I also think the big wheels behing the front are pretty cool too!!!

Aha! This photo actually shows the rear wheel after I scrubbed off the extra layer of white paint in order to re-prep and paint again. Maybe I should leave it like this then! Hmmmmm :?

Back