~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ The Finale. p13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #8 - Rideable..sort of.

That is looking sweet man!!!!
Tank or no tank, either way it will be cool.

I can't quite tell with your light mount, but last year when I mounted my light to the springer bolt it would flop around every time the spring compressed. Just something to look for.

Bravo!

Jake Sensi said:
Thanks you just cost me 100 bucks! Let's see $40 for the bike at NBW, springer, white walls....Thanks alot :wink: I'll tell the misses you made me do it for having such a kool bike :mrgreen: Peace

Just think of it as that you're helping out the economy! :D

kingfish254 said:

I can't quite tell with your light mount, but last year when I mounted my light to the springer bolt it would flop around every time the spring compressed. Just something to look for.

Bravo!

Yup! That's just what happened to me. My solution so far is just to keep the springer reallly tight. I know, doing that defeats it's own purpose, but it still feels ok. Not hard hitting and not too bouncy..

EastOfEastLos said:
kingfish254 said:

Bravo!

Yup! That's just what happened to me. My solution so far is just to keep the springer reallly tight. I know, doing that defeats it's own purpose, but it still feels ok. Not hard hitting and not too bouncy..

Another thing to try is take a strip of 1" copper or aluminum flat stock. Drill a hole in the center. Mount this behind the light bracket with the springer bolt running through it. Then wrap it around tight to the front of the springer bolt head. This should hold the light bracket tight to the bolt head and still allo the springer to travel.

kingfish254 said:
EastOfEastLos said:
kingfish254 said:

Bravo!

Another thing to try is take a strip of 1" copper or aluminum flat stock. Drill a hole in the center. Mount this behind the light bracket with the springer bolt running through it. Then wrap it around tight to the front of the springer bolt head. This should hold the light bracket tight to the bolt head and still allo the springer to travel.

Thats just about the way I mounted it. Thats probably why it doesn't flop around much. Thanks bro.

I really like the way the 24' front wheel fits into the forks. The wheel looks more tucked in than the usual bent springer treatment and still gives the bike a mean look. Very cool.

Ape Stanger said:
I really like the way the 24' front wheel fits into the forks. The wheel looks more tucked in than the usual bent springer treatment and still gives the bike a mean look. Very cool.

Thanks. I have a 26" springer bent fork also. I put that one on and didn't like the wide gap at all. I way like the "tucked" in, as you put it, smaller fork look better. I posted earlier in the thread how I grinded off and angled piece from the bottom of this steerer tube in order for the fender to fit in. The fork makes the bike longer but keeps the tucked, muscular look I'm going for. :mrgreen:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update #1 - Nudity!

EastOfEastLos said:
...What kind of nudity did you expect? I was decent enough to cover it's shame.. :mrgreen: Seriously, walmart stripper makes quick and deadly work of old paint. Burns your hands/skin really quick too, I found out the hard way. Careful! Use gloves, long sleeves/pants and eye protection when working with this stuff! OG maroon paint coming through decades of paint cover up.
strippedmonark.png

love that stripper brand, but never knew you can get a poof can. I always got it in a can that you apply with a brush or rag. I love it, the older the paint the more toxic you gotta go in my opinion.

Cat's meow... cat's meow? ...think we're shifting from bunnies to be-bop cats 8)
tom_jerry_zoot_suit_01.jpg

Actually, zoot suit Tom fits in with my bike :)

Bigdaddy772 said:
That is one super cool looking ride!! and I think the tank would make it look even cooler. 8) 8)[/quote]

Working on the bike has been a good distraction for me. Tank work will be next then play it by ear. :D

EastOfEastLos said:
Cat's meow... cat's meow? ...think we're shifting from bunnies to be-bop cats 8)
tom_jerry_zoot_suit_01.jpg

Actually, zoot suit Tom fits in with my bike :)

thats one Pachuco p***y cat!
NOW...
get to SWINGING!

back on topic looks good :mrgreen:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update: We got tank! Pg.6

Good things since last update. I took the rear hub apart and re-ordered the shims inside correctly after totally cleaning out the grease I had in there then filled it with light machine/gear oil. I trued up the spokes better (front and rear) and now it's rollin waaaaaaaaaaaay better!! Next big update (big for me at least ;) ) is that I cut, shaped, stained and varnished the two pieces of birch wood for my tank! Very happy with how they came out. Color matches the grips pretty good to. I hadn't worked with wood since high school (23 years ago). I bought a hand planer and went at the pieces freestyle and just shaped what felt right. I wound making a tapered bevel from front to back and shaved thin the rear half of each piece to make them more tapered and "tank" like. I cut bolts to fit through the wood then got some acorn nuts to mimic the original long acorn axle nuts. I took pictures of the process of cutting/shaping but it seems those jpgs got corrupt. The files are there but come up blank when I open them. :? Thats happened before :x .

birchwoodtankmonark.jpg

birchwoodtankmonark2.jpg

Oh yeah!!! Better and better!

bike2112 said:
Hey East. You did a great job matching the tank to the grips. They look great together.

raggedjim said:
Nice bike! The 24" springer looks great on it.

Rg

kingfish254 said:
Oh yeah!!! Better and better!

Thank you boys.

KC so-cal said:
LOOKING GREAT NOW IF YOU COULD GET THAT TANK PIN STRIPED :mrgreen:

Ah man, ya'll are makin me work! Haha.. That was probably gonna be next, just gotta find time and courage. Haven't pin striped ever. :lol:

Re: ~~"Smokin In The Boyz Room"~~ Update: Tank artwork pg.6

Peatbog said:
EastOfEastLos said:
KC so-cal said:
LOOKING GREAT NOW IF YOU COULD GET THAT TANK PIN STRIPED :mrgreen:

Ah man, ya'll are makin me work! Haha.. That was probably gonna be next, just gotta find time and courage. Haven't pin striped ever. :lol:

You could use pinstripe tape to lay out several patterns to see how they look before you paint.

With some ordinary auto primer and Testors enamel hobby paint, I decided to give some artwork a try!
I re-drew the Monark logo on my Mac. Sized it, printed it, traced it onto a strip of masking tape that I placed on the wood. Then finally used an exacto knife to cut out the letters.
2012-02-17155148.jpg

2012-02-17155302.jpg

Taped off a 50's type scallop design.
2012-02-17180037.jpg

2012-02-17180144.jpg

Took a little recess to smoke up a couple of small turkeys at my friends house. Brineing at least 12 hours makes for 1 juuuuicy bird! Bud light fans as you can see..buuurrrrp!!
2012-02-05174245.jpg

With a belly full of hickory smoked, juicy turky, I got back to the artwork :p Lightly scuffed up the open area then shot it with black automotive primer. Applied a little heat just to help curing.
2012-02-17192216.jpg

After primer dried, I layed some white striping using the edge of the tape as a guide.
2012-02-17201951.jpg

The reveal starts!
2012-02-17204219.jpg

Didn't come out too bad :wink:
2012-02-17211232.jpg

Back