Space Monkey(now Pi-Rat)Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last bike I put together was a 57 Higgins and I didn't feel great about the headset so I made it an office bike. This build is for my son Matthew and its a 40ish Elgin. I received the bike in pretty decent condition, it was sandblasted but very pitted and aged. It had also received some shipping damage. Here it is after some metal work and filler and again after more filler.
DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

My son is heck bent on this banana seat
DSC_0223.jpg

and here are some of the parts that I am gatering
DSC_0226.jpg

The bike is going to be black with chrome so my son said black is space and bananas are for monkeys, space monkey. Can't argue with that.

Re: Space Monkey

Nice choice of parts to start with!

Show us some more in progress pics when you get them.

Joe

looks like a good project ,like the nanner seat with the studs on the side..should look nice !

Prime, sand, paint,sand, paint sand... holly cow!

Matthew, my 9.9 year old son stepped up to the plate and helped with sanding, paint and cleanup... Thanks Matt!

Finally after some back in forth with the dust monster... a clean satin finish... promise I will not touch it for at least a week so it can cure. Why is it so hard to resist working on it!

Got some great 2nd hand alloy wheels from Community Cycling Center (just amazing selection and surprising HELPFUL STAFF). Also purchased some other great parts form Citybike (anther JEM).

DSC_0226-1.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

Any ideas on what to do with the .250" space on each side of the bracket and the dropouts,
HELP
DO I ADD SPACERS OR JUST TORQUE THAT PUPPY DOWN?
DSC_0231.jpg

Re: Opinions welcome

Set up the sissy bar and gave it a bend that I thought matched the frame better. Sent the seat post to Norm at Venice for welding (thanks again Norm). Added the bars. Guess the big question is fenders or no fenders?

Will be adding a tank and chainguard... well the tank for sure.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

When i first read that you were gonna put a nanner seat on a elgin i was a little :shock: but gotta admit it looks purdy good so far ! glad you listened to your son ! :) bobbed rear fender ? just a suggestion....

That nanner seat was awesome. Needs a bigger sissy bar and a matching backrest. then put onto my Firestone muscle bike. :mrgreen:

Back