StratoFlite (Spaceliner style)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ParkRNDL , great compilation you have here! Keeping that original patina and your addition of non-original parts to this really makes the build stand out.

Awesome example of what I call a 'vintage clean' build!

RaT oN~!

Now the fun stuff. I want to get some modern LED lighting in this tank without changing the external look.
20220719_143404.jpg
20220719_143411.jpg
20220719_143504.jpg

For starters, I think I am going to reinforce the inside of the light housing with foil tape. It's still holding together, but all those cracks make me nervous.
20220719_143521.jpg
20220719_143530.jpg

In fact, I might just do a little patching on the outside with the tape too.

My hopes are not high for the existing light components.
20220719_143704.jpg
20220719_143710.jpg

I might be able to use the reflector part, if I can find small LED bulbs. It'd probably be best to just put new sockets in the reflector and wire them independent of any of the old wiring, if small plastic sockets with solderable metal contacts exist in a size that'd fit.
20220719_143657.jpg
20220719_144619.jpg

If I could make something like that work, I could squeeze a little battery box inside the crusty one and it could all be held in place by the original screw (that's the hole in the middle of the bottom of the existing battery tray).
new light hardware.jpg

Then I need to do something about switchgear...
20220719_143542.jpg

As much as I am a fan of preserving anything original when possible, this stuff is horrible. I mean, if I'm going through all this I want it to actually work too.
20220719_143550.jpg

I picked up this momentary on button yesterday, which would do nicely for the horn.
20220719_154711.jpg

Oh did I mention the horn? It works fine when connected to 1.5 volts. Scared the bejeebers out of the dog here just a little while ago.
20220719_143822.jpg
20220719_143824.jpg

So has anyone experimented with horns/voltages? If the horn says 1.5 volts on it, would it be okay to run 3 or 6 through it?

I'd like to find one like this for the lights. I converted this old headlamp several years ago. I forget now where I got this little switch, but it was perfect.
20220719_154742.jpg
20220719_154756.jpg
20220719_154800.jpg

I had been thinking about sticking two of these little flashlights in the housing, but in retrospect, I'd rather have a single bulb in the middle even if it's at the expense of some brightness. I like the look of the single bulb. Switching on my old conversion in the above pic reminded me of that.
20220719_150810.jpg
20220719_150834.jpg
20220719_150856.jpg

(Also, I don't like the way the flashlight looks when it's off.)

Guess it's time to start researching electronic components online...

Attachments

• 20220719_150817.jpg
    20220719_150817.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Two questions for the electrical engineers in the group:

1. Looking at my goofy diagram above (reposting here to make it easy to find), if I am using two LED bulbs that say they should be run on 3v, and I plan to use two 1.5v AA cells, I should wire them in parallel, correct? I believe that's what I drew (or tried to draw, anyway)...

2. Should the switch be on the positive or negative side of the batteries? I drew it in the negative side because I'm pretty sure that's how I've wired car accessories that I've done in the past. Is that correct?

new light hardware.jpg

If it matters, these are the lights I think I want to use.

SmartSelect_20220719-193040_Amazon Shopping.jpg
SmartSelect_20220719-193115_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thanks for any input!

Honestly it doesn't matter which side (positive or negative) you put the switch for lowV DC. You will however need to put the batteries in series in order to get 3V out of two 1.5V batteries.

1658275939069.png

yeah, I worded that poorly, now that I look at it...

I figured the batteries would be in series to get 3v. I'm wondering if the bulbs should be in series or parallel. I also don't know if that answer changes based on the use of LEDs or incandescent bulbs.

series or parallel.jpg

Yes, put the bulbs in parallel. Each bulb will get the full 3V. If you do them in series, they will be dim, plus if one bulb burns out, it kills the circuit.

1658278416910.png

Two questions for the electrical engineers in the group:

1. Looking at my goofy diagram above (reposting here to make it easy to find), if I am using two LED bulbs that say they should be run on 3v, and I plan to use two 1.5v AA cells, I should wire them in parallel, correct? I believe that's what I drew (or tried to draw, anyway)...

2. Should the switch be on the positive or negative side of the batteries? I drew it in the negative side because I'm pretty sure that's how I've wired car accessories that I've done in the past. Is that correct?

View attachment 201163

If it matters, these are the lights I think I want to use.

View attachment 201164View attachment 201165

Thanks for any input!
@SwissGuy is an electrical wizard! Any words of wisdom to share SG?

@SwissGuy is an electrical wizard! Any words of wisdom to share SG?
Besides the things already mentioned (batteries in series, bulbs in parallel, switch where it suits best) I only would add to make sure to get the polarity right, as (most) LEDs only work in one direction. So in this case the tip should get positive, the case negative.

I somehow missed this build completely before and just had to do a catch up.
Great work so far bringing out the vintage beauty of this gem! Keep up the good work and get those lights glowing!

Sadly, no. The good news is that everything was there: the wiring, switches, lamp sockets, even the bulbs. The bad news is that much of it is too badly rusted and deteriorated to make the original system work.

Part of what I'd like to do before the build-off ends on September 6 is get the lights updated to LEDs, but we shall see how far I get on that. :bigsmile:
Try detoxit this stuff incredible will clean any switches and most contact points. I've use it on old tube amps where the knobs wouldn't move. Then follow it with a little 3 in 1 oil

@ingola also has one of those cutters, he's done some really interesting things with it too, like stenciling graphics to recreate a Schwinn saddle. I used to be in print, I'm very interested in the potential of the device.
I have the maker one model up I've used it to cut leather and engrave it, wood veneer, and saved me a fortune on cute little signs for the wife.Sublimation is awesome itll infuse images with all sorts of things works great on metal.Heat treated vinyl works great on it to. That's the seat.
IMG_20220114_144453804.jpg

Now the fun stuff. I want to get some modern LED lighting in this tank without changing the external look.
View attachment 201135View attachment 201136View attachment 201137

For starters, I think I am going to reinforce the inside of the light housing with foil tape. It's still holding together, but all those cracks make me nervous.
View attachment 201138View attachment 201139

In fact, I might just do a little patching on the outside with the tape too.

My hopes are not high for the existing light components.
View attachment 201141View attachment 201142

I might be able to use the reflector part, if I can find small LED bulbs. It'd probably be best to just put new sockets in the reflector and wire them independent of any of the old wiring, if small plastic sockets with solderable metal contacts exist in a size that'd fit.
View attachment 201140View attachment 201143

If I could make something like that work, I could squeeze a little battery box inside the crusty one and it could all be held in place by the original screw (that's the hole in the middle of the bottom of the existing battery tray).
View attachment 201144

Then I need to do something about switchgear...
View attachment 201145

As much as I am a fan of preserving anything original when possible, this stuff is horrible. I mean, if I'm going through all this I want it to actually work too.
View attachment 201146

I picked up this momentary on button yesterday, which would do nicely for the horn.
View attachment 201147

Oh did I mention the horn? It works fine when connected to 1.5 volts. Scared the bejeebers out of the dog here just a little while ago.
View attachment 201148View attachment 201149

So has anyone experimented with horns/voltages? If the horn says 1.5 volts on it, would it be okay to run 3 or 6 through it?

I'd like to find one like this for the lights. I converted this old headlamp several years ago. I forget now where I got this little switch, but it was perfect.
View attachment 201150View attachment 201151View attachment 201152

I had been thinking about sticking two of these little flashlights in the housing, but in retrospect, I'd rather have a single bulb in the middle even if it's at the expense of some brightness. I like the look of the single bulb. Switching on my old conversion in the above pic reminded me of that.
View attachment 201153View attachment 201155View attachment 201156

(Also, I don't like the way the flashlight looks when it's off.)

Guess it's time to start researching electronic components online...
pm me I can help.

Besides the things already mentioned (batteries in series, bulbs in parallel, switch where it suits best) I only would add to make sure to get the polarity right, as (most) LEDs only work in one direction. So in this case the tip should get positive, the case negative.
I did see in several Amazon reviews of the bulbs and sockets I ended up buying that the polarity of the LEDs is the reverse of traditional incandescent E10 bulbs, so I will be sure to look out for that.

I did see in several Amazon reviews of the bulbs and sockets I ended up buying that the polarity of the LEDs is the reverse of traditional incandescent E10 bulbs, so I will be sure to look out for that.
Caught that too when I was looking for LEDs for my bike. There might be some with standard polarity, though. I don't know.

So I didn't need to buy the sockets. These little guys threaded right in where the light bulbs were.
20220721_142506.jpg

And apparently the reflector that the outer contact threads into is still well insulated from the bar that touches with the center contact, because this all still works:

So I need to attach a couple of tabs for wire connectors: negative to the reflector plate, positive to the bar behind it that touches the center terminal of the bulbs. Then it's just a matter of running wires and installing the switch.

I like the big bars. They make the frame and all look larger, which shows off the curves.
Yeah, somehow they work with this build, which I did NOT expect. It all just seems to flow together.

Latest posts

Back