Sturmey Archer Blues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have them big time.

I have a 64 Schwinn Traveler, I believe it is a SC3 Sturmey Archer 3 speed with coaster brake.

I tore it apart, cleaned it, bought the missing indicator spindle, and reassembled.

I have been messing with it for half a week every chance I get. For the past two days, I have the bike flipped upside down, and I get it all set. The spindle is adjusted, the gears are shifting, the coaster brake is working. And I'm super excited!!

BUT THEN IT HAPPENS...

I flip the bike and I open the garage door. The first time I made it to the end of the block, the second just to the end of the driveway. I pedal, but the second I put the brake on, Complete lock down. It won't budge. Then I have to unhook the cable and pull the spindle completely out for it to unlock.

I am very frustrated to say the least.

So does anyone have a solutions, suggestions, a sledge hammer I can borrow :lol: ?

So after this afternoon's session of frustration, I have eliminated it down to the coaster brake.

There's a piece that is like a round nut with four notches on it that keep the brake arm on.
It tighten it down to finger tight and then back it off a little. It appears to me that this piece tightens up when put under weight and causes the brake to lock up.

Does anyone know how to stop this or where I'm going wrong?

I found this on a forum somewhere:

Here is more info on the problem:

1. The hub is well oiled, but improperly adjusted. Following the links at Sheldon's site to a S3C
assembly detail, I learned that I was not obeying the supremacy of the right side bearing cone.
Once I adjusted it correctly, the brake does not seem to jam up.

2. Sheldon's S3c page: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/s3c.html

Thanks Wildcat,

I will have to print this out and have it with me when I'm out in the garage today.

I think I did it all right, but Mr. Brown does/did know his stuff so he is probably the one to listen too.

I read a little, then gave up, it's too complicated for me. I've just oiled all my SA hubs, and most of them came back to life. on the ones gunked up, I used liquid wrench to loosen them up, then followed with 30 weight motor oil.

So the culprit was the brake cyclinder was put in back words.

So I believe that solved it. I think I need another link in my chain so it sits a little better in the stays. Man if it isn't one thing it's another.

Now it's time to move on to a new bike. :lol:

Back