Super Fueler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to close the distance of the pads so that the caliper will engage the disc sooner, with less pull. So I may try to straighten that out. If not, there will just be more play. I'm just concerned with how it will work for the drag brake
If you have a road bike caliper the drag brake should work. If it's MTB those require more cable pull and need to be used with v-brake levers.

If you have a road bike caliper the drag brake should work. If it's MTB those require more cable pull and need to be used with v-brake levers.
Well, I went for cheap since I’ve never done it before, so I think I have a MTB caliper. I was just going to use a standard muscle bike lever. I’ll see how that works first, so you can say “I told you so”. But I’ll look for the V-brake in the mean time.

As soon as I’m done with paint prep on my Aerobee, the Super Fueler will be back on the stand. So I need to get the shifter ready to fit everything and test it.

As you may remember, I am bringing the Huffy Twin Stick back from the dead because they are extremely rare and expensive. One of the parts that was missing was the extra long brake housing stop in the front. The reason for the extra length is because it held a spring that put outward pressure on the housing. This kept the housing pushed into the brake lever ferrel when the cable slacks off from the drag brake. It’s hard to explain, but without the spring, when you engage the drag brake the housing will just fall out of the brake lever. So… I need it.

Of course I don’t have one because it’s the only shifter I’ve ever seen is one like it. So… I have to make one. I have a short stop.

7DE7897C-3791-4024-B698-76A4EF892603.jpeg

At Ace I picked up and aluminum extension that is the same diameter and a spring that fits inside and hopefully has the right amount of tension.

BF2928ED-6454-405E-BEE6-A04A33D63793.jpeg

Step one was to Expand the center of the extension.

514D2C38-83E9-4C32-8B32-BDA7BA99D92D.jpeg

5786DC1C-6A4C-4D97-B2DD-E0E9ECDA71AF.jpeg

Which now accepts housing.

308B2F3D-3BAC-4045-8559-876EE4C46E43.jpeg

Next I’m going to clean up the two parts then try to figure out how to JB Weld them together strong enough to hold, but minimal enough to not look terrible. Maybe I can sand and paint it when I’m done? Has anyone worked with it before?

Well, like I thought, it looks like some crap. I’m worried if I just keep enough on the seam, but not on the outside, it won’t be strong enough. Luckily it will be under the shifter and not easily seen. We’ll see what I can do after 24 hours of curing in the vice.

EEABBF7F-9635-4BC7-BF5D-5E23354853CE.jpeg

Well, we of course still have plenty of time to fix things if they do not kind of go to plan. :bigsmile:

I don't have a lathe, but I like that second idea. I'll give that a try tonight. I'll also pick up some silver paint. Or maybe I should try one of those chrome paint pens I see advertised. hmmmm
@Dr. Tankenstein has a ton of experience with those Chrome pens. I believe he's used them on several of his builds

It is with heavy heart that I must announce a loss.

For the life of me, I cannot find the view window for the twin stick cover. There is really only one place I would have kept it, and it isn’t there. I’ve the years and through several moves, it lost its way.

I’m not sure how I’ll make a new one from scratch, but I am forced to travel that path. Please join me in my grief for its passing.

7628ACD2-C006-4DFF-9655-551690691479.jpeg

It is with heavy heart that I must announce a loss.

For the life of me, I cannot find the view window for the twin stick cover. There is really only one place I would have kept it, and it isn’t there. I’ve the years and through several moves, it lost its way.

I’m not sure how I’ll make a new one from scratch, but I am forced to travel that path. Please join me in my grief for its passing.

View attachment 214838
Is it just an acrylic panel or something?

It’s time to put the brake theories to the test. I started with cutting and finishing the housing.

7A2DED3A-1720-4EF7-BDE5-A4F74D791BB9.jpeg

C240A387-DB2C-423C-A5E6-29C4A27C7339.jpeg

0C33FCF5-9ECF-4544-B301-7F4E2BA3DC77.jpeg

I did that 8 times. (The brakes require 3 sections of housing), plus the shift housing. In my Aerobee thread someone asked what tool I used to crimp. It’s an old cheap housing cutter that doesn’t cut housing well, but the round jaws make good crimpers.

48F51D2F-EBA9-4C50-9D10-442B2289F2F8.jpeg

The ferrel I’m using at the back of the shift body is slightly bigger than the original.

9796E021-94EA-4EEA-9BB8-15178ED6050E.jpeg

So a quick drill, and there we go.

5A31C81C-6299-4432-ABAE-F68AB3DAC058.jpeg

I mounted it all together and here is how it routes. I’m using a extra long Tandem brake cable to ensure I have enough length. I used two pulleys on the seat tube to get the cable from the top of the bike to the bottom as clean as possible.

6D59E055-080B-4CBB-A491-AF9939B9545F.jpeg

The first attempt at having it brake failed. So, I have a lot to figure out.

First, all that work I did on the spring in the front, and making an extended ferrel, that was wrong. So I broke and cleaned the ferrel and used it normal size. I think the spring is used on the inside in front of the knurdle. I’ll get that figured out. But first, when I pull the brake lever, the actuating arm on the caliper doesn’t have enough strength in the spring to pull the cable back to reset. So I pulled the arm apart to see what I had in adjustment options.

FF63C248-94D8-4B68-83E9-49BBD7699CDE.jpeg

E6A42EC6-B233-4047-B85A-8BDA0FD6187D.jpeg

466ECC1E-D1F7-4AE9-96C2-DD2572A3466A.jpeg

That second, smaller, spring hike may be the answer? But I’d have to drill it out to accept the spring. And if I do, the arm will hit the adjustment bracket that sticks out slightly.

CDFCDECE-3F85-4944-A088-3EA5BA57851E.jpeg

Before I modify anything, I’d like opinions. @Chad T I’m looking at you! Or whoever has an idea. I need the spring to more forcefully pull that brake cable back to the caliper so it just doesn’t fall out of the brake lever every time I pull it.

Latest posts

Back