Sure Death, 1965

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure Death 1965.jpg

The only difference between mine and that one was the shape was a bit more like an arrowhead and had a picture of a shark on it, and big foot prints, all in green. Same wheels and trucks.

Ah... another survivor. My first plastic skateboard with rock hard wheels wasn't much better.
My first was a couple of decades later.
s-l1600.jpg

I could barely even ollie on the thing, let alone hover, but I guess that was the second movie

Fiberflex.jpg

Ended up here in the early 80's. Fiberflex, Trackers and Pure Juice. My wrists moan when I think back to those days.

Michelob in hand, check. Marlboros in the back pocket, check.
1978 Dana, Jeremy, Skate-106.jpg

"I thought getting old would take longer." Bob Minsky

I did not quit riding until about the age of 62, which was a year after I retired from engineering.

I skated a lot in my youth, But I quit shortly after I got married in 1979.

In my 50s I was getting fat, and decided I needed some exercise, so I took up the skateboard again.
85527175-6FE8-4E69-BE6A-7D8D29D4BE80.jpeg

I lost 65 pounds, became a lot more athletic, and had a great time riding and building custom longboards.

I went from pool riding to longboard, and missed out on all the kickflipping nonsense. Never did an ollie.

Look how much they're selling for on Ebay
That cheap crap Valterra I posted above was listed for $1000. It's insane. My second deck was a Santa Cruz blank that Scrubby Shawn won at an all Ontario contest. Homie had skills. It got stolen, and then I got a pro model with mom and dad's insurance money. Can't remember what order they came after that, but there was a Tommy Guerrero, a Steve Saiz, a Lance Mountain, the Mike Valelly with the slick coating on the bottom, a vintage Steve caballero I found in the house I lived in, now I am just back to the basic models, have a Bug deck and an Element deck built up, along with a repop of one of the og bones brigade decks

That cheap crap Valterra I posted above was listed for $1000. It's insane. My second deck was a Santa Cruz blank that Scrubby Shawn won at an all Ontario contest. Homie had skills. It got stolen, and then I got a pro model with mom and dad's insurance money. Can't remember what order they came after that, but there was a Tommy Guerrero, a Steve Saiz, a Lance Mountain, the Mike Valelly with the slick coating on the bottom, a vintage Steve caballero I found in the house I lived in, now I am just back to the basic models, have a Bug deck and an Element deck built up, along with a repop of one of the og bones brigade decks
I had a first gen Lance Mountain and a signed Mike V deck. Like so many other things I got rid of them. Now I have middle age regrets

@Captain Awesome Now I have middle age regrets....

I feel your pain, my favorite deck was my Tony Alva. Much later I mounted it on the wall of my shop.

Then, Dogtown and Z-boys came out and I saw dollar signs. Got $200 for it. Middle age regrets.
Tony.jpg

I had a G&S warptail. It came out maybe 1976, so I think a year before the Alva boards. Tracker trucks and Kryptonics wheels. I rode it till it was junk, and sold it at the Sunnyside swap meet in 1979.

I built it out of pieces and it was not gripped, & I remember gluing a sanding belt on there.

Getting down with the kids, as I show them how to bend the knees. Those are my wife’s half sisters grandchildren. It looks like he’s riding the Blue Haven Pool Cue but it’s the fat model. Independent trucks, and some nameless wheels.

25D0AF99-E57C-4717-B72F-F506A33D2F2F.jpeg
Behind my head, in the photo, there is a rack of longboards that I still have. I haven’t put a foot on any of them in about four years. At one point I threaten to drag them all out and post photographs but that would mean I have to clean them up and I had just been too busy playing with bicycles and the car.

Back