That's Intense

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydro dipping is the term you're looking for. My company owns one of the largest dippers in the eastern US. We do stuff for everything from firearms to ATVs. Not one of my facilities but pretty cool stuff
Well I can see why people say you’re awesome. Thanks for the data, Captain.

Some of the guys on the Mossberg forum have talked about this before, but I didn’t attempt it. . . . But I don’t want to talk about that.

How is the film decorated?

Hydro dipping is with film and used heavily in the custom auto industry. "Bowling Ball" paint is vaguely the same but more DYI. I made a dipping "tank" with a 2x4's and an old tarp. Borax in the water and oil based paints to float on top. Dip your parts in. There's a ton of YouTube video out there way better than my home brew. Even though it's been dismantled and lies in the boneyard in brown primer Cyclodelic was a pretty cool bike. All that I have left intact is the dipped bat, which wasn't a bat tank per se but pretty close...
Cyclodelic.jpg

Thanks for the compliments @MattiThundrrr oh and the chicken foot shifter was just a bit of short lived levity...

Carl.

Well I can see why people say you’re awesome. Thanks for the data, Captain.

Some of the guys on the Mossberg forum have talked about this before, but I didn’t attempt it. . . . But I don’t want to talk about that.

How is the film decorated?
The film in that case comes preprinted

The film is water soluble...it disolves essentially just leaving the ink/paint on the water surface.
Yep. Once you spray the activator on it takes on a semi solid/liquid state and just floats on the surface tension of the water. Conforms to essentially anything

I talked the the Griggs kid when he was starting his hydrographics business. He estimated ~$80 for a frame, $50 for a set of rims. He was just starting out, and that was a few years ago... probably cheap prices?

I talked the the Griggs kid when he was starting his hydrographics business. He estimated ~$80 for a frame, $50 for a set of rims. He was just starting out, and that was a few years ago... probably cheap prices?
If it's already base coated and prepped it's pretty fair but still cheap

For comparison on DIY

https://mydipkit.com/

When I was at "BowTech" I was working in the maintenance dept.
A seperate company, in the same building, and same ownership, did the hydrodipping.
That company's name was "Waterdog".
Might still be, that was a few years ago.

Anyway, they got the film somewhere, and had different patterns. Mostly 'camo".

I'm thinking that nearly any pattern is available.

The machine shop was yet another section of the plant.
That was in Eugene.
In 2008, they were expanding. Had the "string" dept. in Veneta, where I lived. Also worked there.
2008 was a good year for work, but also a year when bow tech was sold to Savage Arms.
Then things started a downward trend. Laying off long term workers, hiring temps.

I made it through 5 rounds of layoffs, then the "maintenance' dept was eliminated, me included.

2009 was a bad year for work.

What happened there was going on all over.

But, life goes on.
And most of it is still good.

That’s pretty sad. I bought some different goods from Savage in those years and I wasn’t happy with QC. I was very disappointed to see random metal shavings in the action. Like they don’t own an air hose, you know?

2008-2009 I lost a fortune in the stock market. Enough to buy a six pack of new Harley Davidson’s.

Yeah that was a rotten time.

2008-2009 I lost a fortune in the stock market
That's also sad.
In fact, that's intense.

And yet, you are still living, and able to share on RRB.

Sort of like life itself is a Lengthy Insanity .

Sounds like a good name for a bicycle.

but IMO that frame should stay as is. It's from a time when Intense was more about the ride than the Almighty Dollar.
That's my opinion for this frame also. For this one all of it stays. Brandname, logos and zebra
stripes.
Since I had never even heard the name "Intense" before I was given this frame, and the good folks
here at RRB let me know it was worth saving, I am even more grateful for having it.

I have changed things to make it fit my size and casual riding style, but nothing was changed on the
frame.
No plans to spread the frame to add gears either.
Although that's what I've done with BMX bikes for a long time.

For the small amount of bucks I have invested, I can afford to keep the bike around, as is.

Last edited:
Back