The DRAG-ON Evans Sonic Scout build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dropouts look good. It looks like you lowered the rear about an inch in the process. What is the thickness of the metal you used?
Looks to be 1/8" which is just slightly less than the original dropouts but I made these plates beefy for just that reason.A buddy of mine who'es a truck mechanic brought me over a bunch of pieces to choose from,this was the best option as the rest of pieces were way to thick.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, That's about the thickness of the ones I'm using. I just wanted to get an idea of how thick need to be.

Just picked up these little beauty valve caps to go along with the "Sonic Scout" theme.Still waiting for my Drag-On headbadge to be delivered like a kid wanting his cereal box toy,but then Malasia is is not a few zip codes over;),it should be here soon.I have another plan for a "hood ornament" where the lights would normally go that will go nice with the space racer theme.Thanks guys for your interest and support,I'm glad this is giving you a smile:D!!
Rocket caps.jpg

I'm going to do something a little different in instead of mounting the headlight where it normally goes on the Evans as I usually mount a high power light off the handlebars on most of my rides.I recently won a vintage tin toy rocket ship and am thinking of mounting this to the light bracket as sort of a "hood ornament".Would appreciate some feedback from you guys,what do you think ??Also the headbadge finally came in,that was one long trip,also the adjustable stem came in yesterday too!:D
Hood rocket.jpg
002.JPG
001.JPG

Been a struggle to get much done but I did get the shifter permanently attached.Kicking around the idea of ditching the original Evans chainguard in favor of the Columbia "winged"which would go much better with the "Drag On Sonic Scout"theme and in my opinion just looks so much better but getting it to fit and work properly :39::banghead:! Also might use a butterfly stand in place of the ol kickstand and had to open up the tire stem hole on the mag for the Schrader valve since I'm not a Presta lover,it came out real nice with the help of my files and dremel.Hope to get some of this stuff done today and the "hood ornament" should be here too:D!
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Wow,had to pinch myself,that big ol chainguard is gonna work with no problem.I was thinking I was going to have to rework all the brackets for that big 52 tooth sprocket,the guard fits perfectly and no rubbing:dance2:!!!I'm going to cut the original bracket off and smooth it out and then run out an get a couple Lotto tickets!
005.JPG
007.JPG

I missed this build getting started. I like the idea of the rocket ship hoodie. Just make sure it doesn't detract from that wicked evan-action.
Is there a reason why you aren't entering this in the Build Off? If you think you will be done by Aug 3, you go for it. The mods can move your build thread over to the build off section for you.

I missed this build getting started. I like the idea of the rocket ship hoodie. Just make sure it doesn't detract from that wicked evan-action.
Is there a reason why you aren't entering this in the Build Off? If you think you will be done by Aug 3, you go for it. The mods can move your build thread over to the build off section for you.
I hear ya,I'm not a 100 percent on where the rocket is going,definitely wouldn't want to detract from the Evans springer which already has a "wing"piece in it.I might have to mount it to the rack,there will be a little head scratching:39: on this.I was also thinking of mounting it via hand fabricated mount off the handle bar stem to the side as if its in flight,watta ya think??Might sound a little crazy but it just might work if executed correctly.
As far as a build off candidate I'm not sure if I can get it done in time and I really don't want to rush it along because I'll be using this on extended bike runs so I really have to make sure everything is detailed right so as not to invite those pesky trail gremlins:eek:.Appreciate your interest!!

I'm really diggin' the look of that beefy Columbia guard Black Top, it has curves that should flow easily with the remaining Evans tin work and fork.:thumbsup:
Your drop outs and shifter turned out great and are right in character of your theme.
I'm looking forward to some more revealing pics, but meantime your peep show teaser snaps have me using my imaginator.:39:

Thanks guys been working and burning the midnight oil on this ol girl,made some more gains over the last couple days because of the crummy fourth of July weather.Check out 1957 Evans by Bike Bum in the "gallery" thread--very cool!I can't say I stole his idea on the chainguard but its been done before!,how do you like that:whistle:

Had a pretty fruitful afternoon on the Drag-On but we now have the most expensive aluminum struts for the carrier rack which ended up costing me 60 bucks!The steel tubing I was going to use must of had a thicker gauge metal because I was having trouble trying to flatten the ends.Well Bozo that I am on occasion decided to use a piece of pipe for leverage and guess what:13:!! Hope that bolt of lightning doesn't come out of the sky[actually qualify for two] after using that Mary Poppins expletive,Uhmmm my Mom in Florida called a few minutes after,she thought she heard me down there!!Had to run to Harbor Freight and to replace the vise:20:and to Home Depot to get a piece of aluminum.But on the good we now have struts and the shifter is mocked up now have 3 gears forward --SWEET:dance2:
001.JPG
011.JPG
014.JPG
013.JPG

Last edited:
Got one idea thing done today that I'v been wanting to try for s&g's and it looks like I'm going to keep it.I fashioned up some inserts for the rack and in my opinion really gives it that pro stock drag bike look.Couldn't find what I needed until I eyeballed an old plastic rain downspout[no it wasn't my neighbor's:rolleyes:] and it worked out perfectly.Its light weight easy to work with and a decent gauge.Will be keeping it in place with some button screws.Now if I can just sneek that back over to my neighbor's,oh oh :whistle:!!
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Back