The next build off? Plans for the future

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would interest you?

• Off Road

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Muscle

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Skinny

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Completed bikes are totally cool to enter so long as you blow them apart (for the build) and modify the snots out of them (during the build window)
Well said

đź‘Ť

Yep. Evidently this is what often happens.

I bought a like-new mongoose fat bike, and the only parts now left of it are the rear hoop, one inner tube & liner, the frame, & seat post. Everything else has been changed and in the process the entire style of the bike was changed.

. BUT you can't start building them til the buildoff starts. We can start collecting parts though. A month or so to go gives a guy plenty of time to plan and collect his pieces.

Guitarl.
That's not particularly great advice for bike building junkies.

I couldn't wait, I had to get it on! Hub swap, cable up and I'm out! We need to get some speed builds up in this mug.
Plan A
planA.jpg

Plan B
plan B.jpg

If someone Nostradamus'd me in 2017 and said my go-to would be a 20'' Stingray in 2022, I'd be like
spilling-spits.gif

How times change eh

I need an aerodynamic disc for the back wheel on my Skinny build. I suppose I could source a "real" Time Trials bike wheel but anybody got an extra few hundred bucks they're willing to part with?

Merle
for real?

Here's a challenge...
Use your 10 speed frame in the muscle bike class, your muscle bike frame in the off road class and your mountain bike frame in the skinny class....

Merle
or strip down a Schwinn fastback slap on a set of old Tioga Comp lll 20x 1-1/8"tires, enter any class.
Tioga Comp lll 20x 1-18.jpg

Definitely going to be one of the more fun build offs for gamers:p

Now i just need a video on how to create a three spoke mag for the front...

GC

for real?

I got to watch this but it wasn’t what I expected. He’s just putting an aerodynamic cover on a spoked wheel.

This only interests me from a technical standpoint, because I understand that riding big disc wheels in a crosswind with skinny tires is a recipe for low-side crash.

This data comes from the motorcycle world, so I don’t know about bicycle discs. It seems like they’re getting up to motorcycle speeds now though.

I know that skateboarders have now exceeded 85 mph downhill. I own set of the same wheels that clocked 85 about eight years ago. (They’re not that special, they are just freaking big.)

But I have no idea what bicycle speed racers are achieving nowadays and I would not be surprised if they had somehow broken 100 mph going downhill.

I’ve never been over 140, riding my old Kawasaki, and the new one only does 110. But it’s a huge tank with big fat tires. I can’t imagine going high speeds on skinny bicycle tires!

Edit:
Okay, now we’re so far OT that I had to go look up bicycle speed records and I see that 138 downhill was achieved and somebody went 184 on the flat ground.

(Some other guy evidently went over 200 peddling indoors on rollers, but that’s bogus IMHO.)

Last edited:
“That’s pretty true…”

Well no, actually it was not pretty, and it was lumpy.

That much is true.
This is Rat Rod Bikes hun, respect. I never saw a hub mounted to a wheel with nails before either. Whether he did it for views or not, it's ghetto.
Carl's post made me curious.

I got to watch this but it wasn’t what I expected. He’s just putting an aerodynamic cover on a spoked wheel.

This only interests me from a technical standpoint, because I understand that riding big disc wheels in a crosswind with skinny tires is a recipe for low-side crash.

This data comes from the motorcycle world, so I don’t know about bicycle discs. It seems like they’re getting up to motorcycle speeds now though.

I know that skateboarders have now exceeded 85 mph downhill. I own set of the same wheels that clocked 85 about eight years ago. (They’re not that special, they are just freaking big.)

But I have no idea what bicycle speed racers are achieving nowadays and I would not be surprised if they had somehow broken 100 mph going downhill.

I’ve never been over 140, riding my old Kawasaki, and the new one only does 110. But it’s a huge tank with big fat tires. I can’t imagine going high speeds on skinny bicycle tires!

Edit:
Okay, now we’re so far OT that I had to go look up bicycle speed records and I see that 138 downhill was achieved and somebody went 184 on the flat ground.

(Some other guy evidently went over 200 peddling indoors on rollers, but that’s bogus IMHO.)
Discs on bicycles are predominantly used indoors.

Some claim there's a flywheel effect advantage from a heavy disc once up to speed. I haven't found an advantage using them outdoors, although wheel fairings have been proven to help pro cyclists by a small margin.

And THAT is why I'm building an over the top CARtoons! version of a time trial bike. Although with what I have it may very well be a fast bike for the average guy.

GC

And THAT is why I'm building an over the top CARtoons! version of a time trial bike. Although with what I have it may very well be a fast bike for the average guy.

GC
Colnago Master Pursuit.jpeg
Colnago ♣ USSR team bike.jpeg

I wanna see a Carl Rat Fink version of these wind splitting creations. Those borks seem like your kinda thing!

The other thing that intrigues me is the paint job / color schemes that are on many of the TT bikes. Very cool and very similar to the hot rod graphics on Muscle Bikes. Many of the builders here who slap apes and banana seats on cruisers and call them muscle bikes forget the beautiful paint jobs, the candy and the fades. I posted this in the other thread but here it is again > BOOM < 79 pages of TT bikes and related. Check out the posts #127 & 128 amazing!

GC

Last edited:
Many of the builders here who slap apes and banana seats on cruisers and call them muscle bikes forget the beautiful paint jobs, the candy and the fades.
So a brown Sting Ray would not be a muscle bike, but the candy blue BMX I put a nanner on is? Can't believe how hung up on the definition we've become here. The reason I built a BMX into a muscle was to illustrate that false dichotomy. Definitions only serve to exclude. I'm ok with classes and rules, but we gotta stop telling builders that they're doing it wrong because they don't meet some nebulous standard.
223683be74fee775c9b88683695b0124.jpg

"I'm just a bike"

So a brown Sting Ray would not be a muscle bike, but the candy blue BMX I put a nanner on is? Can't believe how hung up on the definition we've become here. The reason I built a BMX into a muscle was to illustrate that false dichotomy. Definitions only serve to exclude. I'm ok with classes and rules, but we gotta stop telling builders that they're doing it wrong because they don't meet some nebulous standard.
Not even. You're mixing ideas up. Cruiser bikes aren't muscle bikes no matter how many bananas you feed the apes. But FACTORY muscle bikes often have fantastic paint jobs and that part of muscle bike building or copying or tribute to or whatever... often lack the paint and chrome that really are an unspoken but well understood part of a muscle bike. Truth told, building a BMX into a Muscle Bike isn't that big of a stretch since the early BMX included converted Stingrays. In fact, roll over to the Muscle Bike Forum and see how many 26" balloon tire cruisers are there. See, reality isn't a hang up, it's the truth. I have built a bunch of bikes that fit into the "rules" we use here for the MBBO and NONE of them are muscle bikes (and never placed, ALiEN FiRE included) but the first real Muscle Bike I built did. All things being equal, put a brown Stingray next to an Apple Krate and vote, which one is a real Muscle Bike?

Carl.

Last edited:
That's sweet Matti. I like those rad bends.

Road and TT's have some of the most beautiful pain jobs I've ever seen on bicycles!

Regarding the finish of muscle bikes. By the late 1970's most muscle bikes from the 60's where I grew up in NYC were parted and turned into beaters. I mean multiple coats of spray paint (prolly from being stolen). Headsets with missing bearings, bent rims and vice-grips used as a seat post clamp serving as a tool to remove rounded off axle nuts to fix flats etc. I got used to seeing bikes that way. We raced the heck out of them anyway. It was rare in my hood in 77' to see a mint muscle bike.
I look for the cool factor and significance for the most part. Being a custom bike building forum. I'm less interested in clones and restoration. It's all about originality for me.

That's fine. I'll just change the nomenclature of the category so this isn't such a big deal. Move on already

Definitions are for dictionaries

... and now discussion is frowned upon? I haven't closed my mind to the fact that many MB builders have left or don't compete because their builds were ignored while rusty cruisers with apes were applauded. I've competed in most of the MBBO's since I got here, but I really feel for these guys, and I still feel like being all inclusive to the detriment of authentic builds has diluted the sport. I probably won't build any more faux Muscle Bikes for that reason, even tho in the past I built ridiculous bikes that fit the rules too...

Latest posts

Back